[comp.soft-sys.andrew] Problems building andrew under Sun OS 4.1

glennc@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Glenn Case) (01/31/91)

I believe I did something wrong when configuring the andrew toolkit. But I can
not figure out what it was.

I am trying to bring the andrew toolkit patchlevel 9 up on a sun 3/280 and
assorted diskless workstations running sun OS 4.1. The compile of the toolkit
went fine.  But the andrew clients are not reading the fonts correctly or
something of that sort and the fonts that they display are very wrong.

The version of X11 we are running is X11R4 at patchlevel 18.

for example running console and selecting read new console file from the menu
a question that looks something like this:

T (small square)e curre*t (diamond)(small circle)*s(small circle)le is [....

If anyone has an idea of what I did wrong or what I should do to fix it
I would be thankful. If you have any questions just ask.

Thanks in advance
			Glenn Case
	Stay alert!	Trust NO one!	Keep Your Laser handy!
		Die Commie mutant traitor scum!!!!
glennc@cs.pdx.edu
Apprentice wizard (still on washing flasks)

gk5g+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gary Keim) (02/01/91)

Excerpts from misc: 31-Jan-91 Problems building andrew un.. Glenn
Case@apple.com (1066)

> If anyone has an idea of what I did wrong or what I should do to fix it
> I would be thankful. If you have any questions just ask.

My first reaction when anyone reports having font problems is to tell
them to run /usr/bin/X11/mkfontdir in /usr/andrew/X11fonts.

-Gary

glennc@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Glenn Case) (02/01/91)

gk5g+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gary Keim) writes:

>Excerpts from misc: 31-Jan-91 Problems building andrew un.. Glenn
>Case@apple.com (1066)

>> If anyone has an idea of what I did wrong or what I should do to fix it
>> I would be thankful. If you have any questions just ask.

>My first reaction when anyone reports having font problems is to tell
>them to run /usr/bin/X11/mkfontdir in /usr/andrew/X11fonts.

>-Gary

I found the problem after the above suggestion. Somehow I had fouled up when
installing the fonts.alias file and andyoffice12 was being used as the default
font.
		Thanks for the help. (lots and lots of thanks)