[comp.soft-sys.andrew] .amsalien

salzman%gaucho@RAND.ORG (Isaac Salzman) (03/03/90)

Well, once again I'm attempting to get the .amsalien thing to work but
I'm not having any luck whatsoever. I've done some more purusing of
various manuals, help files, etc....

I want to be able to read some of my MH folders using messages. In
theory I should be able to:

	- add ~/Mail to my mspath in preferences
	- create .amsalien in ~/Mail

and then go into CUI and and run scavenge folder-name. Well,
here's what happens:

CUI> list rush
Getting folder list; please stand by...

</i/salzman/Mail>
(N) rush
(N) rush.pend
CUI> scav rush
Recursively scavenge all subdirectories [No] ?
Purge deletions after scavenging [No] ?
There is no folder named 'rush'.

So it sees the folder (when you list) but then it doesn't (when you
scavenge). Btw, this is the version of Andrew that came with X11R4
(haven't had a chance to patch it up yet), on a
Sparcstation-1/SunOS4.03. I ran trace on cui to see what it's actually
doing. I noticed that it's looking for (via an access system call)
.MS_MsgDir in the folder directory and prints the error just before it
complains that there's no folder. Also, there were no calls to anything
that tried to access .amsalien - so that check seems to be getting
skipped altogether.

Nathaniel, once upon a time you sent me a message describing what set
debug options to use to try and track down the problems I was having
(this was in the beta version), and I can't find the message. Can you
send that info to me again? Thanks!!

Is anyone else attempting to use this feature???!!! Ciao!

* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /
* 1700 Main St., PO Box 2138, Santa Monica, CA 90406-2138    | v |  |
* AT&T      : +1 213-393-0411 x6421 or x7923 (ISL lab)      _|   |_/
* Internet  : salzman@rand.org                             / |   |
* UUCP      : !uunet!rand.org!salzman                      | |   |
* CompuServe: 76167,1046

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (03/05/90)

I think this one is actually fairly easy to diagnose.

Somewhere deep in the bowels of the documentation, I'm pretty sure that
it says that an AMS tree root must be a directory whose name starts with
".MESSAGES".  That is, it can be ".MESSAGES", ".MESSAGES_foobar", etc.
The reason for this restriction is that it is often necessary to find
the root of an AMS tree, given a folder path name.  The root is now
well-defined as the first .MESSAGES* directory that it finds upon
climbing up the tree.

Given that your root does not follow this convention, I suspect that AMS
is unable to figure out where to look for the .amsalien file, and then
things break down further from there.

My suggestion is that you create a symbolic link from ~/.MESSAGES_MH to
~/Mail, and make ~/.MESSAGES_MH the thing you add to your mspath
preference.  My guess is that if that does not solve the problem, it
will at least get you considerably further along before the next problem
rears its ugly head.

BTW, I do recommend that you incorporate patches 1-3, especially since
you're on a SPARC, for which several core dump bug fixes have been
released.

Also, in answer to your debugging question:  the magic command you want
for any messageserver-related  debugging is "set debug 0 0 0 -1".   You
can control the quantity of output by replacing the -1 with some other
number, but then you'll have to look at the code to figure out which
number you want, which is probably not worth the trouble....

Hope that helps.  -- Nathaniel

salzman@RAND.ORG (Isaac Salzman) (03/05/90)

>Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@thumper.bellcore.com> writes:
>Somewhere deep in the bowels of the documentation, I'm pretty sure that
>it says that an AMS tree root must be a directory whose name starts with
>".MESSAGES".  That is, it can be ".MESSAGES", ".MESSAGES_foobar", etc.
>The reason for this restriction is that it is often necessary to find
>the root of an AMS tree, given a folder path name.  The root is now
>well-defined as the first .MESSAGES* directory that it finds upon
>climbing up the tree.

Well, I definitely think that was one of the problems. I actually took it
one step further. I sym-linked ~/.MESSAGES to ~/Mail - so MH and messages
just share the same tree - period. Bill Cattey gave me the other piece of
the answer. In order for .amsalien and scavenge to work you need to first
"CREATE" the folder with CUI. I tried this on existing MH folders and it
works just fine. If the directory doesn't exist it creates it, if it
already exists it just creates .MS_MsgDir and leaves everything else alone.

>BTW, I do recommend that you incorporate patches 1-3, especially since
>you're on a SPARC, for which several core dump bug fixes have been
>released.

I've been intending to, but someone stole my disk space!! :-) So I gather
with patch level 3 everything works, even when compiling with -O?

>Also, in answer to your debugging question:  the magic command you want
>for any messageserver-related  debugging is "set debug 0 0 0 -1".   You
>can control the quantity of output by replacing the -1 with some other
>number, but then you'll have to look at the code to figure out which
>number you want, which is probably not worth the trouble....

Thanks, I won't loose the message this time!

>Hope that helps.  -- Nathaniel

Sure does! Thanks again - to you and Bill.... To anyone listening at CMU:
you may want to add these little tidbit's of info to the doc's on how to
use the .amsalien stuff. Just in case there is one more person out there
interested in using it - it'll probably save them a couple hours. :-)

--

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (03/06/90)

Excerpts from info-andrew: 5-Mar-90 Re: .amsalien Isaac Salzman@rand.org (2501)

> So I gather with patch level 3 everything works, even when compiling with -O

No, that's a Sun compiler bug, not an Andrew bug.  But I think that at
least -O is no longer the default!

salzman@RAND.ORG (Isaac Salzman) (03/06/90)

>Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@thumper.bellcore.com> writes:

>No, that's a Sun compiler bug, not an Andrew bug.  But I think that at
>least -O is no longer the default!

Well yeah, that makes sense. I recall detecting a Sun compiler bug with the
beta version in the whitepages code. I don't know if I'd *totally* blame it
on Sun's compiler (though there's no excuse for different behavior with or
w/o -O). These bugs tend to crop up in some "not so kosher" (and not so
portable) code (e.g. passing structs or unions and expecting pointers -
that sort of thing), where assumptions are made about what the compiler is
generating.

I don't think I've seen any mention of this on the list. Has anyone tried
building Andrew on a SPARC machine using GCC (GNU C Compiler, where using
-O tends not to break your code)? Thanks!

--
* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /
* 1700 Main St., PO Box 2138, Santa Monica, CA 90406-2138    | v |  |
* AT&T      : +1 213-393-0411 x6421 or x7923 (ISL lab)      _|   |_/
* Internet  : salzman@rand.org                             / |   |
* UUCP      : !uunet!rand.org!salzman                      | |   |

wollman@NEWTON.UVM.EDU (Garrett Wollman) (02/01/91)

Does anybody out there use .amsalien for a netnews database?  What kind
of daemons, etc., do you run for it?  [We can't afford the disk space
to duplicate our news spool specifically for AMS...]  Has anyone worked
out some documentation for it (more than the gragmentary note at the beginning
of Bboards.ins)?

Is there a way to make such daemons work without write permission on the
news spool itself?  [In just testing it, today, I tried creating
symbolic links from ~/.MESSAGES_public/nn (the root is also $LOCAL) under
my UID, but it didn't like that idea...

-GAWollman

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (02/01/91)

The bottom line is that it works, but the daemons, as currently set up,
are mind-bogglingly slow.  Curt Galloway (at SCO) was looking into
speeding them up last I talked to him, but I don't know if he actually
got anywhere.  I'd be glad to provide anyone else who is interested with
the same advice I offered him on how to speed up the daemons -- there
are some fairly obvious things that could be tried.  -- Nathaniel