[comp.soft-sys.andrew] Printing with groff

henke@qt.ipa.fhg.de (Juergen Henke) (02/06/91)

Excerpts from oldatk: 6-Feb-91 Re: Why isn't ATK more wide.. Haavard
Eidnes@idt.unit. (7268)

> In article <kag5Vkk_V0001KrkZs@unix.cis.pitt.edu> cmf@UNIX.CIS.PITT.EDU
> ("Carl M. Fongheiser") writes:
> >> Wouldn't another *roff clone work as well?  How's Transcript required?
> >
> >I haven't tried it, but groff ought to work.  It has all the
> >functionality needed, though not necessarily compatibly.  Maybe I'll try
> >that this afternoon...

> Ok, several other seem to think the way I do... I've tried to make groff
> work with ATK documents. Below follows the changes I've done so far. Apply
> at own risk. I've yet to be able to print a combined graphics and text
> document, but I am able to print pure text documents and pure raster images.
> I do not have the time to continue working on this, so I would appreciate
> it if someone else picked this up and continued.

> Regards,

> Havard Eidnes

[...] shell archive removed

O.k., i know that has been a long time, but in the meantime the g++ for
the DECstation is working and therefor the groff also. Printing has
become important again...  :-)
I checked your perl-script (i have to notice that i'm an absolute novice
to perl) and found one problem: you have to tranlate the '%' in the
current input line ($_)  to '%%', because perl evals this in the print
statement (i think). After fixing this i'm able to print documents with
exactly one imbedded zip or raster in it. If there are more insets, i
get the following error message

grops:<standard input>:127:warning: top of imported graphic is above the
top of the page

and after this inset (even if it's on a new page) nothing will be
printed. Any ideas ?

Regards,

	J|rgen.

Juergen Henke, e-mail juh@qt.IPA.FhG.de, PSI-mail PSI%4571109306::JUH_IPA
Fraunhofer-Institut f. Produktionstechnik u. Automatisierung
Eierstrasse 46, D-7000 Stuttgart 1