[net.followup] Any Mensans?

yiri@ucf-cs.UUCP (Yirmiyahu BenDavid) (11/11/84)

I don't subscribe and haven't time to read net.people but I am a
Mesnan.

honey@down.FUN (11/13/84)

we are all mesnans from planet x here.
	peter

yrdbrd@bmcg.UUCP (11/14/84)

In article <ucf-cs.1708> yiri@ucf-cs.UUCP writes:
>I don't subscribe and haven't time to read net.people but I am a
>Mesnan.
 ^^^^^^---You are, Really?

--
Larry J. Huntley
Burroughs Corporation

chris@byucsa.UUCP (Chris J. Grevstad) (11/14/84)

I have been a Mensan in times past, but failed in efforts to communicate with
others.  I would be interested in restarting my membership if there were
anybody interested in talking.
--

	Chris Grevstad
	{ihnp4,noao,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!byucsa!chris

	O Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz.
	My friends all drive Porsches and I must make amends.

jfw@mit-eddie.UUCP (John Woods) (11/16/84)

Obviously not.  Mensans are too intelligent to deal with USENET!
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems
decvax!frog!john, mit-eddie!jfw, JFW%mit-ccc@MIT-XX

When your puppy goes off in another room,
is it because of the explosive charge?

matt@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (11/19/84)

When I was an undergradute about 80% of the residents of my dorm
decided to check out membership in Mensa.  *ALL* qualified, and
*NONE* joined.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

cjk@ccice2.UUCP (Kreilick) (11/26/84)

> When I was an undergradute about 80% of the residents of my dorm
> decided to check out membership in Mensa.  *ALL* qualified, and
> *NONE* joined.
> Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
> Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

What are the qualification requirements?

bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (B. Banerjee) (11/29/84)

>> > When I was an undergradute about 80% of the residents of my dorm
>> > decided to check out membership in Mensa.  *ALL* qualified, and
>> > *NONE* joined.
>> > _____________________________________________________
>>
>> What are the qualification requirements?

Can't say what they are specifically.  Essentially, you have to be
mentally gifted and have an IQ in the 95th percentile bracket (approx.
figures).

When I was in Grad school a couple of years ago, I decided to check it
out.  As my IQ on all the standard tests works out fairly low (Just
above average), I knew that my chances of acceptance weren't too good.
Well, it seems  that there is a loophole!  Should you score higher than
some threshold value on the College Boards, or on your GRE's, you're in.
Well, I sent them my GRE scores (~1450 combined) and was accepted.
I didn't join either.  As Groucho would have said - " I don't want to
join any organization that accepts me as a member" :=)

Actually, from the literature they send, it seems to be an elitist and
self-centered group.  Mensans hang out with mensans because non
mensans are so incredibly dull, boring and boorish.  I wouldn't be
surprised if most of them were maladjusted individuals who couldn't
interact with society as a whole; and therefore form their own little
society.

--
				Binayak Banerjee
		{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!bbanerje

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (12/02/84)

In article <681@sjuvax.UUCP> bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (B. Banerjee) writes:
>Mensans hang out with mensans because non
>mensans are so incredibly dull, boring and boorish.  I wouldn't be
>surprised if most of them were maladjusted individuals who couldn't
>interact with society as a whole; and therefore form their own little
>society.

When I joined Mensa in San Francisco in the early 1960s, it was an active
group of not especially maladjusted individuals.  They were interesting,
intelligent, active in the community.  The activities were mostly for fun
(like Serena Jutkowitz' gourmet dining group), but there were serious
activities too -- especially around the problems that isolated high-IQ
children face.

I remember the first Mensa meeting I ever attended.  It was at the elegant
Pacific Heights home of the later infamous and now deceased Jeremy Ets-Hokin.
Someone gave a talk with slides about the Comedia dell'Arte.  Then coffee
was served and people mingled and talked.

I'm a life member, so I still get Mensa periodicals, even though I haven't
attended anything in a long time.  They seem to be just as lively and
interesting as ever.
--
Richard Mateosian
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (12/03/84)

>> What are the qualification requirements?

To get in you have to prove you have an IQ in the top 2% (98th percentile).
This is usually about 130 on standard IQ tests, 1250 on the SAT, etc.  There
was a discussion of IQ scores in net.misc a couple of months ago which gave
more information on Mensa requirements.

If you haven't taken an IQ test they'll give you one.  First they send out a
simple home test, and when you pass that (I wonder if this one actually weeds
anyone out) they send you off to take a real one.

I joined when I was in high school and dropped out a couple of years ago
because of local politics.  Too many people were interested in power and too
few in having fun.  I'm sure it's a syndrome that affects all groups
eventually.  For me, at least, it was the local group that made or broke it;
I didn't go to very many of the national gatherings, and it's the local
people you see several times a month if you're active anyway.  I also
considered the local publications (ameteurish though they were) to be much
more interesting than the national ones (minor exception: there were a couple
columnists in the national newsletter who were very funny).

						-D

--
UUCP: ...seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg