[comp.soft-sys.andrew] Strange problem, anyone help?

cross@eng.umd.edu (Chris P. Ross) (06/28/91)

	I recently compiled Andrew pl10 for my sparc's running SunOS 4.1.
And, to my delight, it seems to work.  I should say, the non X-window
parts seem to work just fine.  (This is a new thing.  This is the first
patch that would work on our sparcs so far, or at least that I've done.)
But, any program that tries to create an X window will give the following:

Starting help (Version 7.2, ATK 17.0); please wait...
Could not open the display; this program will not run without a window system.
help: failed to create new window; exiting.
Exit 1

  Does anyone know what would cause this?  We are using X authority here,
and I was running as myself, so it's not the simple problem of not being
able to write on the display.  I even tried xhost +'ing, but still the
same problem.  Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

  Side note:  I compiled for our sun3's at the same time, with the same
source, and they work fine.

  Thanks...

                                    - Chris

--
Chris P. Ross                         University Of Maryland
cross@eng.umd.edu                     Engineering Computer Facility

cross@eng.umd.edu (Chris P. Ross) (06/29/91)

In article <ccObw0W4lU4L0APVAA@sadye.uvm.edu> wollman@SADYE.UVM.EDU (Garrett Wollman) writes:
>This sounds like a problem I've had...
>
>*If* you compile with RESOLVER_ENV, and *if* your X display is forward-mapped
>using YP (alias NIS) or /etc/hosts, then the X libraries may pick up
>gethostbyname() from libresolv.a instead of the YP-using one in libc.so.

  Well, as much as this seems reasonable, I don't think it's the problem.  I
believe I *did* compile with RESOLVER_ENV set, but RESOLVLIB was set to nil,
so it didn't use libresolv.a...  It used the Nameservice stuff in our libc.

>I see a few possible solutions to this:
>
>  1.  Remove the module containing gethostbyname() from libresolv.  I think
>this is called 'gethost' or 'getname' or something like that.
>This is probably the optimal solution, if it works.

  libresolv.a not used...

>  2.  Don't use RESOLVER_ENV, and make sure to tell AMS that it is not allowed
>to validate host names using gethostbyname (i.e., set the andrewSetup
>variable AMS_ValidateDestHosts to no.

  If this is the problem, maybe I'll try this.  But, if this is the case, why
do the sun3 versions work? (we have the same installations on sun4's and
sun3's here.  Same libc...)

>  3.  Use the IP address of the display instead of the name.  The X code
>will notice this and act correctly.  [However, my displaycap code doesn't
>work in that case.  Since I'm the only one who has ever even heard of it,
>this should not be a problem for anyone else.]

  I'll try this first (as it is the easiest...  :-)

>-GAWollman

                                       - Chris P. Ross