[comp.soft-sys.andrew] Trouble compiling/running on SunOS 4.1.1

steve@lia (Stephen Williams) (06/30/91)

I've been having some trouble with Andrew patch level 10 on
SunOS 4.1.1.  The pertinent stuff:

	SunOS 4.1.1
	SPARCstation IPC
	X11R4 server (Xsun) on a color (cgtree) monitor

There are several problems.  First, with compiling:

	When compiling tabs.do, the doindex command fails with
	the message
doindex: indexing tabs.do ...ld.so: map heap error (9) for /dev/zero
	It is interesting that I can run doindex on all the
	individual .do files and I get no errors.

	I have the same trouble with the console tool:
/local/andrew/bin/doindex -d /local/andrew/dlib/atk  consolea.do
doindex: indexing consolea.do ...ld.so: map heap error (9) for /dev/zero

So I go without the console and I try some of the tools.  The
first problem I notice is that when I try to use a menu, the
cursor (the -> cursor) is wrong.  It is displayed as a white
box with a transparent arrow.  It seems that the X cursor mask
bits are reversed.

Last problem (for today):  typescript doesn't work.  It didn't
work before patch 10, but patch 10 at work (4.1 on a SPARCstation 1)
does work.  The symptoms are the same as before patch 10:  The
child process (usually /bin/csh) dies immediately (sometimes after
printing the prompt.

I am having none of these troubles on a SPARCstation with the X11R4
server (Xsun), a monochrome monitor, and SunOS 4.1.  I am frustrated.
It is teasing me!

--Steve Williams
steve@lia.com

dl2n+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Daniel Edward Lovinger) (07/01/91)

fernwood!lia!steve@uunet.uu.net  (Stephen Williams) writes:
>         When compiling tabs.do, the doindex command fails with
>         the message
> doindex: indexing tabs.do ...ld.so: map heap error (9) for /dev/zero
>         It is interesting that I can run doindex on all the
>         individual .do files and I get no errors.

	I had exactly the same problem and spent about 12 hours
banging my head against a wall until I realized that the top level
Makefile hadn't been generated on a Sparc. Look at the top level
Makefile, and if the first three macros aren't

	SYSTEM_H_FILE = sun4_41/system.h
	SYS_IDENT = sun4_41
	SYS_OS_ARCH = sun_sparc_41

then you will need to recreate it - the bogus values were be enshrined
since the top level Makefile installs system.h.

	imake -Timake.tmpl -I. -I./config -DTOPDIR=.

(and of course, check to make sure it thinks you have a sun4_41 again)

	You should have no problems after doing this. I didn't ...

    Dan Lovinger     Computing & Comunications      Carnegie Mellon U.
  Internet: dl2n+@andrew.cmu.edu   Bitnet: dl2n+%andrew.cmu.edu@carnegie
 "... and in the stillness, they heard the cry of the golden banana ..."