[comp.sw.components] Scope of new newsgroup: comp.sw.components

wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) (05/06/89)

   Welcome to the comp.sw.components newsgroup!!!

   The following is a description of the scope of the newsgroup:

 $ This newsgroup will facilitate discussions about software components
 $ and their design, implementation, and utilization.  It is probable that
 $ this will be mainly a group of professional component developers, people
 $ who are training to become such a professional, and/or people who have an
 $ interest in developing their own components from time to time.
 $
 $ As a "public service", we are also here to help and advise all component
 $ users who need advice, and to provide a forum for reviewing the software
 $ components provided by vendors.  We are also here to allow the people who
 $ developed any products which are criticized to show why perhaps the
 $ criticism may not be entirely justified, or to seek ideas regarding how
 $ the component(s) could be improved, and to provide a means by which new
 $ techniques can be spread throughout the component development community.
 $
 $ Also, questions such as "How can I handle problem X which arises when I
 $ try to implement component Y in language Z?" and "I have a nifty priority
 $ queue, and would like a B+ tree; anyone wanna trade?" are encouraged.

   A service is in the process of being implemented whereby articles
   from this newsgroup will be archived; additionally, an automatic
   bidirectional gateway is being established which will make it
   possible for those who cannot receive newsgroups, but who can
   receive e-mail, to read and post to this newsgroup despite not
   having direct newsgroup access.  Either I xor Rick Conn (who is
   setting up and administering the service) will post an article
   giving the exact details, once this service has been established.

   Articles from the period during which comp.sw.components was just
   a mailing list have also been archived, and are available upon request.

   I look forward to seeing some very stimulating discussions in this
   newsgroup, and I am sure they will prove highly informative as well.

   Components forever,

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu
   Former comp.sw.components Mailing List administrator

garry@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand as guest) (05/06/89)

In a recent article wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) wrote:
> $ This newsgroup will facilitate discussions about software components
> $ and their design, implementation, and utilization...

What, pray tell, is a "software component"? (A library "tool"? A subroutine?
A flowchart? An algorithm? A programmer?) I have not encountered this
term of computer jargon before...

garry wiegand   (garry@larch.cadif.cornell.edu - my "Reply-To", not my "From"!)

rjh@cs.purdue.EDU (Bob Hathaway) (05/06/89)

In article <7885@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garry@larch.cadif.cornell.edu writes:
>In a recent article wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) wrote:
>> $ This newsgroup will facilitate discussions about software components
>> $ and their design, implementation, and utilization...
>
>What, pray tell, is a "software component"? (A library "tool"? A subroutine?
>A flowchart? An algorithm? A programmer?) I have not encountered this
>term of computer jargon before...
>
>garry wiegand   (garry@larch.cadif.cornell.edu - my "Reply-To", not my "From"!)

Grady Booch's `SOFTWARE COMPONENTS WITH Ada - Structures, tools, and Subsystems'
provides a taxonomy which seems to be a reasonable starting point for
defining components, and reusable design components and common subprograms
could provide a useful addition to the taxonomy as well.  Is anyone aware of
better alternatives?

I've seen a lot of talk about storing and retrieving components and it seems
that Booch's naming scheme is appropriate for keywords in a database search.
Are there any plans for an automated components database that may arise soon
out of this newsgroup?

Bob
rjh@purdue.edu