[comp.sw.components] Translating 83 => 9X

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette) (10/03/89)

In article <6661@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:

>  The US Government is actively planning to maximize the use of
>  automatic translation technology during the transition from Ada
>  83 to Ada 9X.

Holy smokes!!!!  Is it just me folks, or does the statement above imply that
(a) Ada 9X has already been designed, and (b) it *does not*  provide upward
compatibility for Ada 83 programs?

Obviously, just following this newsgroup is not enough to keep ones self
"in the know" regarding the current state of the Ada 9X deliberations!

Somebody please reduce my ignorance level and tell me what parts of Ada 83
have already been declared to be obsolete.  Tasking?  Fixed-point?
Could somebody maybe post a list?

// rfg

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (10/04/89)

From rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette):
>>  The US Government is actively planning to maximize the use of
>>  automatic translation technology during the transition from Ada
>>  83 to Ada 9X.
>
> Holy smokes!!!!  Is it just me folks, or does the statement above imply that
> (a) Ada 9X has already been designed, and (b) it *does not*  provide upward
> compatibility for Ada 83 programs?

   It means only what it says: whatever 9X's final form, the use
   of automatic translation technology will probably be maximized.
   This probably will take the form of an automatic translator being
   built to Government specs and placed in the Ada Software Repository.

   I would think that there would be enough similarity to make the
   use of automatic translation reasonable; this technology has
   proven not to be exceptionally useful where remarkably dissimilar
   languages are involved, such as in a Fortran-to-Ada conversion.

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette) (10/04/89)

In article <6667@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:

>> Holy smokes!!!!  Is it just me folks, or does the statement above imply that
>> (a) Ada 9X has already been designed, and (b) it *does not*  provide upward
>> compatibility for Ada 83 programs?
>
>   It means only what it says: whatever 9X's final form, the use
>   of automatic translation technology will probably be maximized.
>   This probably will take the form of an automatic translator being
>   built to Government specs and placed in the Ada Software Repository.
>
>   I would think that there would be enough similarity to make the
>   use of automatic translation reasonable; ...

I think that you missed my point entirely.

I have to assume that there is a large base of Ada 83 users out there who
hope and pray that "the use of automatic translation" would *not* be
"reasonable", but would instead be TOTALLY UNNECESSARY when moving to Ada 9X.

I will ask one more time and hope for a more direct answer.  Has it already
been decided that Ada 83 and Ada 9X will be sufficiently incompatible so
as to *require* translation?  (Hint: this is a yes-or-no question.)

If the answer is no, then why is the government planning on building/using
a translator (or translators) when the need for such tools & processes is
not yet even established?  Has Samuel Pierce moved over to DoD from HUD, or
is this just the 1990's version of the $600 screwdriver?

If the answer is yes, then it *must* logically follow that *somebody*
knows what the incompatibilities are.  Otherwise, how could anyone know
that automatic translation will be required (or even useful).
If so, that person (or persons) are doing a disservice to the Ada
community by not comming forward to warn Ada 83 users about features to
avoid from now on.  Could it perhaps be the case that the individuals who
know what the incompatibilities are (ahem, I mean what they "will be") are
keeping it to themselves in the hope of later capitalizing on this "insider
information"?

Either way, something here smells like three-day-old fish.

// rfg

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (10/05/89)

From rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette):
> I will ask one more time and hope for a more direct answer.  Has it already
> been decided that Ada 83 and Ada 9X will be sufficiently incompatible so
> as to *require* translation?  (Hint: this is a yes-or-no question.)

   I do not know as a fact that this is the case, but I do recall
   reading about plans for automatic 83 => 9X translation.  Perhaps
   someone having more direct knowledge of the situation could comment
   in greater detail.

   I would expect that there *would* be sufficient incompatibility,
   just on the basis of the experiences with Ada 83 which have been
   documented in Ada Letters, etc., which indicate that certain changes
   are necessary.  I would also expect that if a free 83 => 9X translator
   is provided via the Ada Software Repository, the conversion process
   would be dominated by the time required to upgrade programmers, rather
   than the time required to automatically upgrade existing Ada 83 software.

   If you want to get a good idea of what the likely changes will be:

      o ACM SIGADA Ada Letters for the last 5 years or so
      o Ada 9X revision requests
      o proceedings of Tri-Ada and other conferences
      o the last chapter of Paul Hilfinger's ACM Distinguished
          Dissertation, "Abstraction Mechanisms and Language Design"

   are all excellent sources.

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette) (10/07/89)

In article <6678@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:

>   I do not know as a fact that this is the case, but I do recall
>   reading about plans for automatic 83 => 9X translation.  Perhaps
>   someone having more direct knowledge of the situation could comment
>   in greater detail.

If you can find the reference, I'm sure that many here would be interested
to read that same publication.

// rfg

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (10/08/89)

From rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette):
>>   I do not know as a fact that this is the case, but I do recall
>>   reading about plans for automatic 83 => 9X translation.  Perhaps
>>   someone having more direct knowledge of the situation could comment
>>   in greater detail.
>
> If you can find the reference, I'm sure that many here would be interested
> to read that same publication.

   Unfortunately, at the time I considered it an interesting tidbit of
   information, but did not anticipate ever having to cite it.  At any
   rate, we must also realize that translation is only one of the two
   major avenues of transition; the other is to exploit Ada's ability
   to call code written in other languages.  If the manufacturers of
   Ada 83 compilers decided to sell an upgrade which would permit the
   use of pragma Interface to Ada 9X, and the 9X compilers also had the
   ability to interface to Ada 83, then the primary purpose of automatic
   translation would be to enable the use of the more powerful Ada 9X
   by the system's maintainers.

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu