[alt.msdos.programmer] SCCS for MS-DOS?

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (05/20/89)

I'm looking for an SCCS-clone for MS-DOS.  I have heard about one
from Poly-something, and I have heard of MKS RCS.  I haven't heard
anything _about_ either.

I use Microsoft C and MASM.  I currently use Microsoft MAKE.  I
would be willing to use another make, but I would like to stay with
the MS complier and assembler.

Can anyone offer recommendations or advice regarding the above
mentioned, or any other source code revision-control tools for the
MS-DOS environment?

Thanks.

--
Dave Levenson
{uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

lth@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Lars Thomas Hansen) (05/21/89)

In article <1374@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>I'm looking for an SCCS-clone for MS-DOS.  I have heard about one
>from Poly-something, and I have heard of MKS RCS.  I haven't heard
>anything _about_ either.

A seemingly thorough review of a number of source control systems for MS-DOS
can be found in two issues of last year's "The C User's Journal", published
by R&D Publications/The C User's Group, Lawrence, KS (Don't have street
address, zip, or phone # here. Sorry.) They generelly have back issues
for sale.

--lars

scotth@grebyn.COM (Scott Hutchinson) (05/22/89)

In article <1374@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>from Poly-something, and I have heard of MKS RCS.  I haven't heard
>anything _about_ either.

	We've been using Polytron for a short time, they have a good
evaluation program.  We are evaluating Poly PVCS, ploy-make, doc and
lib.  They also handle networking.  From what I've seen of it, it
appears to be set up for large scale revision control, although I heard
they also have a personal version.

					-Scott Hutchinson

--
                                     -Scott H. Hutchinson
Standard Disclamers:  These opinions are mine, they do not reflect on my

seg@smsdpg.uu.net (Scott Garfinkle) (05/23/89)

From article <50396@teemc.UUCP>, by wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne):
> ...  I would LOVE to find someone that
> implements SCCS for MS-DOS but I suspect that no one does.

Mortice Kern Systems sells a full implementation of Tichy's RCS for DOS.
Write to ...watmath!mks!Postmaster for info.  (That's all I know about
it.  I do all my RCS on my file server, a Sun.)
	yours,	Scott E. Garfinkle
		SMS Data Products Group, Inc.
		uunet!smsdpg!seg (seg@smsdpg.uu.net)
<** Use the above address -- do not 'r'eply**>

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (05/23/89)

In article <1374@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>I'm looking for an SCCS-clone for MS-DOS. ...
>I use Microsoft C and MASM.  I currently use Microsoft MAKE.  ...

I've had good experience with Polytron's PVCS, which is more or less a
reimplementation of rcs.  It works nicely.  I used it to control a project
with about 75,000 lines of source code and six people working on it at once.

Microsoft "make" is the worst excuse for a make program that I have ever seen.
It makes only one sequential pass through the makefile, which means that you
can't have very interesting dependencies.  I'd use the make that comes with
Turbo C, or else one of the free makes that has been floating around the BBS
world.  You can mix and match source control programs, compilers, and make
programs since they all use the same plain ASCII file formats.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (05/23/89)

In article <3952@ima.ima.isc.com> johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) writes:
>In article <1374@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>>I'm looking for an SCCS-clone for MS-DOS. ...
>>I use Microsoft C and MASM.  I currently use Microsoft MAKE.  ...
>
>I've had good experience with Polytron's PVCS...
	I, too, have good experience with PVCS.  About a year and a half
	ago, we used PVCS on a project with 4 developers and an integrator.
	It worked well enough.  My major complaint at the time was
	the lack of knowledge of who had checked out a file, but we
	were using the "personal" version on a file server; I believe
	they now have a "networked" version, and that would be a
	natural difference to implement.

>Microsoft "make" is the worst excuse for a make program that I have ever seen.
	Hear, hear!  It's really a toy.  Get yourself a tool.
	The MAKE from Turbo C is good, as are Don Kneller's two MAKEs,
	the shareware NDMAKE and commercial OPUS make.

	HOWEVER... if you use PVCS, it's worth getting PolyMAKE from
	PolyTron.  It's as good as the others (each has its pros and cons),
	and it knows about PVCS archives.  I was able to implement some
	Makefiles for the integrator that allowed version-specific
	manufacture, while the ordinary developers could do very
	efficient latest-version makes.  It would have been
	clumsy-to-impossible to accomplish this with a MAKE that
	didn't know how to read PVCS archives.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Middletown, NJ		|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 957 6583					|