[alt.msdos.programmer] Is OS/2 viable w/o Hard Disk?

raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) (06/02/89)

Is it possible to run OS/2 from a floppy?  I saw in a recent PC mag
directions for creating a bootable diskette, but me thinks you still
need a hard disk for all sorts of wonderful (?) support files.

Any of you OS/2 owners have an answer?

If so, are you forced to leave the disk in the unit (or swap the
system disk back in/out) if you want to run a program from another
disk?

--
Eric A. Raymond  (raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov)
G7 C7 G7 G#7 G7 G+13 C7 GM7 Am7 Bm7 Bd7 Am7 C7 Do13 G7 C7 G7 D+13: Elmore James

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (06/02/89)

In article <1170@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) writes:
>Is it possible to run OS/2 from a floppy?  I saw in a recent PC mag
>directions for creating a bootable diskette, but me thinks you still
>need a hard disk for all sorts of wonderful (?) support files.
>
>Any of you OS/2 owners have an answer?
>
>If so, are you forced to leave the disk in the unit (or swap the
>system disk back in/out) if you want to run a program from another
>disk?

	Yes you can. But!

	The only reason you would boot OS/2 from a floppy is
	to install something or run chkdsk. Other than those
	I can't think of any productive reason for doing so.
	You would not have any swap space, could not run PM, or
	DOS Box(I think), like I said, nothing productive.
	You might be able to run some programs, depends on memory,
	it would have to boot from 1.2 or 1.44 meg floppy, you
	couldn't load very many DLL's,forget about development.
	You could squeek by with a 20 meg, 40 meg is usable,
	>60 meg for productive development, I use 115 meg with
	40 remaining.

--
Classic Quotes from STNG: "Pen Pals"
Picard: Her society is aware .. that there is intersteller life?
Data:   No Sir.
Picard: Oooops..

harish@guille.ece.orst.edu (Harish Pillay) (06/03/89)

In article <1170@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) writes:
>Is it possible to run OS/2 from a floppy?  I saw in a recent PC mag
>directions for creating a bootable diskette, but me thinks you still
>need a hard disk for all sorts of wonderful (?) support files.
>
>Any of you OS/2 owners have an answer?
>
>If so, are you forced to leave the disk in the unit (or swap the
>system disk back in/out) if you want to run a program from another
>disk?
>
>--

I am user of OS/2 and NO you cannot yet run OS/2 off of a floppy.  This is
because, OS/2, unlike say MS-DOS, is implemented by Dynamic Link Libraries
(DLLs).  A DLL is loaded only when it is needed so that more memory is
available to do multitasking and such.  You might want to read Gordon Letwin's
book - Inside OS/2 - published by Microsoft Press. Letwin is the Chief
Architect of OS/2 in Microsoft.

The main reason why floppies aren't viable at present is that the amount of
space these DLLs occupy far exceed the current capacities of floppies.  When
we get say 5 MB on a 5.25 floppy, then we should see the possibility of
running OS/2 off floppies.  Then again, in a multi-tasking environment it is
not advisable to run a machine WITHOUT a hard disk.  You might still get to
run OS/2 on a bernoulli box - provided you can get the necessary OS/2 device
drivers for the bernoulli box.  But if you are prepared to go to bernoulli
box extent, you might as well get a harddisk!

Hope that answers your questions.

Harish Pillay                               Internet: harish@ece.orst.edu
Electrical and Computer Engineering         UUCP: uunet!ece.orst.edu!harish
Corvallis, Oregon 97331                     MaBell:   503-758-1389 (home)
United States of America                              503-754-2554 (office)
========     'Give a man a fish, and he'll starve for life,        ========
========  Show him how to fish, and he'll feed himself for life.'  ========

adverb@bucsb.UUCP (Josh Krieger) (06/05/89)

I am in the process of setting up a motor-control experiment which
needs exact delays in the millisecond range. The TURBOC manual says
that the delay() procedure may not always be accurate to the millisecond.
If this is so, when is it not? Secondly, how is an accurate delay
on the order of milliseconds generated if the timer clock only clicks
about once every 57 milliseconds?

-- Josh