[alt.msdos.programmer] Calling C functions from assembly

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (08/01/89)

I'm trying to call some C functions from assembly, using MSC 5.0 and either
MASM or TASM.  I could write a dummy _main() in C, if this makes things
easier, but I'm still not sure what needs to be setup to call a C subroutine.

Can anyone clue me in on how to do this?

--
Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
   simon@ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,

pgaughan@dante.nmsu.EDU (Patrick Gaughan) (08/01/89)

Well, I've done some stuff in this area...

The easiest way I can think of is to use the LARGE option on your C
compiler, declare the C functions as far labels and use far calls from
the assembly language routine.

Example:

/* c program */
#include <stdio.h>

int cfnct(a,b)
int a,b;
{
  printf("a + b = %d\n",a+b);
  return (a+b);
}

; asm program

( miscellaneous instructions )
        EXTERN   _cfcnt:FAR   ; depending on linker, name may not be
           .                  ; case sensitive
           .
           .
        push b
        push a
        call cfcnt
        add sp,4
       (function return value in ax, if the function was a long or ptr
        type, dx would return the upper half of the return value)

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but you'll have to try it and prove
it for yourself.  Like most programmers, I don't memorize every rule,
but given a machine and I few tries at it, I can usually remember how
to do it.

Disclaimer:  You're getting desperate if you think I have all the
             right answers...

Patrick Gaughan
pgaughan@nmsu.edu

g-tookey@rocky.cs.wisc.edu. (Richard Schaut) (08/01/89)

In article <12324@s.ms.uky.edu> simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
>I'm trying to call some C functions from assembly, using MSC 5.0 and either
>MASM or TASM.  I could write a dummy _main() in C, if this makes things
>easier, but I'm still not sure what needs to be setup to call a C subroutine.
>
>Can anyone clue me in on how to do this?

Sure.  Given the following C function,

	foo(fparm1,fparm2,fparm3)

you would need the following code to call (assuming the paramaters are ints)

	mov ax,[fparm3]
	push ax
	mov ax,[fparm2]
	push ax
	mov ax,[fparm1]
	push ax
	call foo
	add sp,3*INTSIZE

Note that the parameters are pushed onto the stack in reverse order.  As
for how to retrieve the functions return value, you'l have to concult
you compilers documentation.  There is no set convention, however most
use one of the CPU registers.  If the routine doesn't return a value,
then all you have to worry about is pushing the parameters onto the
stack in reverse order, and restoring the stack when the routine is done.

Rick
Please send e-mail to:
schaut@madnix.UUCP
ArpaNet: madnix!schaut@cs.wisc.edu
UseNet: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!schaut
             {decvax!att}!

Madison: an alternative to reality

I am posting this through a friend's account.  His consent to my use of his
account in no way implies his consent to responsibility for the opinions
expressed herein.

hollen@zeta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (08/02/89)

From article <12324@s.ms.uky.edu>, by simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales):
> I'm trying to call some C functions from assembly, using MSC 5.0 and either
> MASM or TASM.  I could write a dummy _main() in C, if this makes things
> easier, but I'm still not sure what needs to be setup to call a C subroutine.
>
> Can anyone clue me in on how to do this?

There is a section in the ref. manual dealing specifically with this,
but I will summarize.  Be aware that I am summarizing from memory
and do not have the manual in front of me.  I will address both calling
C functions from assembly and assembly being called by C.

Calling C from Assembly.
=======================
Pseudocode the calling interface so you know the order of the arguements.
Push the arguements onto the stack from right to left and push
multi-word args (floats, far ptrs....) from high to low.  Be sure of
your memory model so that you can have the segment registers OK.  Some
memory models ASSUME ES = DS so you must make it so before calling C
functions.  For instance the tiny memory model assumes that
CS = DS = ES = SS.  Results are returned in registers.  A char in AL, a
short int in AX, a long int or float in AX/BX (low order in BX),
and a double in AX, BX, CX, DX high order in AX to low order in DX.

Calling Assembly from C.
========================
Here is a code fragment for ASM being called by C.

;;  FUNCTION
;;	read_ee_raw (ee_offset, numbytes, destination)
;;
;;	int	ee_offset		ARG1
;;	int	num_bytes		ARG2
;;	char far	*destination	ARG3 - offset
;;					ARG4 - segment

	PUBLIC	READ_EE_RAW

READ_EE_RAW	PROC	NEAR

	PUSH	BP			;set up frame pointer
	MOV	BP,SP

	PUSH	AX			;save registers used
	PUSH	DI
	PUSH	SI
	PUSH	DS
	PUSH	ES

	LDS	SI,[EEPROM_BASE]	;get seg:off ptr to EEPROM base
	MOV	AX,[BP+ARG1]		;get byte offset into EEPROM
	SHL	AX,1			;make word offset
	ADD	SI,AX			;add to base offset
	MOV	DI,[BP+ARG3]		;get offset to destination
	MOV	AX,[BP+ARG4]		;get segment of destination
	MOV	ES,AX			;get in dest segreg
	MOV	CX,[BP+ARG2]		;get count of bytes to read

EEPROM_READ_LOOP:
	LODSW				;read word - high byte is junk
	STOSB				;write byte
	LOOP	EEPROM_READ_LOOP	;continue until done

	POP	ES			;restore registers used
	POP	DS
	POP	SI
	POP	DI
	POP	AX

	POP	BP			;restore frame pointer

	RET
READ_EE_RAW	ENDP

No other explanation should be necessary except to say to read the
manual to be sure what registers should be saved and restored.  You
cannot go wrong by saving/restoring all you use.
	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

        uunet!megatek!hollen       or  hollen@megatek.uucp

ralerche@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Robert A. Lerche) (08/03/89)

A thing to watch out for when interfacing C and Assembler... the direction
flag!

Microsoft C's "memcpy" _assumes_ the direction flag is clear (i.e., it
doesn't do its own CLD before a REP MOVS).  Be sure to clear the direction
flag before calling a C routine and clear it if you set it in your own
assembler routine -- otherwise havoc can ensue.

t-davidw@microsoft.UUCP (David Weigant) (08/04/89)

In article <663@megatek.UUCP> hollen@zeta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
>From article <12324@s.ms.uky.edu>, by simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales):
>> I'm trying to call some C functions from assembly, using MSC 5.0 and either
>
>Results are returned in registers.  A char in AL, a
>short int in AX, a long int or float in AX/BX (low order in BX),
                                          ^
I believe you ment AX/DX for a long int or float. (High order or
segment in DX, low order or offset in AX).

Other things you might watch out for include C prefixing all variables
and function names with an underscore.  To get them to link properly
you will have to use an underscore in your assembly code.  Also,
you need to remember that in C, the calling routine needs to clear
the stack of any parameters passed into the function.  For instance, if
you push an integer onto the stack and call a C function, you need to
pop the stack upon return from the function to remove the integer.

Hope this helps
David Weigant