[alt.msdos.programmer] The "Best" PC Editor

lisa@ctr.columbia.edu (Lisa Young) (10/18/89)

I need to convince some people that Epsilon is a better editor for
programming in C than the IBM Professional Editor, or SPF/PC (an IBM
mainframe editor lookalike).

Since I know many programmers out there feel strongly about their
editor of choice and also that many people support Epsilon (Stallman's
EMACS) I thought I would ask the networld for help.

So, to anyone who is interested, what are the advantages and
disadvantages of Epsilon over IBM PE and SPF/PC???

Please send your replies to me and I will post a summary later for any
of those curious in miscellany of opinions about PC editors.

abh0@GTE.COM (Andrew Hudson) (10/19/89)

Lugaru software of Pittsburgh, the folks who put EMACS on the PC
with EPSILON, apparently have a new version out. Would someone care
to publicate the new features and differences of this new version?

- Andrew Hudson

--
"I remember, darkness doubled,
 I recall, lightning struck itself."

lowey@dvinci.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (10/21/89)

> I need to convince some people that Epsilon is a better editor for
> programming in C than the IBM Professional Editor, or SPF/PC (an IBM
> mainframe editor lookalike).

My reply is why bother?  Personally I use the free MicroEMACS 3.10 editor.
I know that if someone came along and told me I had to use a different
editor, I'd tell them where to go real quick.  Why not just let the
programmer decide what he/she wants to use.

-- Kevin Lowey

lisa@ctr.columbia.edu (Lisa Young) (10/26/89)

>I need to convince some people that Epsilon is a better editor for
>programming in C than the IBM Professional Editor, or SPF/PC (an IBM
>mainframe editor lookalike).
>
>Since I know many programmers out there feel strongly about their
>editor of choice and also that many people support Epsilon (Stallman's
>EMACS) I thought I would ask the networld for help.
>
>So, to anyone who is interested, what are the advantages and
>disadvantages of Epsilon over IBM PE and SPF/PC???
>
>Please send your replies to me and I will post a summary later for any
>of those curious in miscellany of opinions about PC editors.

I promised a summary so here it is:

Date:    Tue, 17 Oct 89 22:50 EDT
From: "Dwaine L. VanBibber" <DLV101%PSUVM@cuvmb.cc.columbia.edu>
To: lisa@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: The "Best" PC editor

SPF/PC and ELSILON aren't even in the same league.  Here's why...

Let me quote Personal TeX Inc. because they sum things up quite nicely.
"Epsilon uses the popular EMACS keyboard commands.  These key bindings are
logical and intuitive, and once mastered allow lightning-quick editing of
files.  If you wish to reassign any key-bindings, Epsilon allows for quick,
easy and complete remapping of any and all commands."

Epsilon now features complete undo and redo capability.  Epsilon remembers the
changes that you make to any and all buffers, and allows you to step back throu
gh the editing commands that you have done, one by one.  If you go too far,
Epsilon also has full redo, giving you complete freedom."

"......What's more, Epsilon has multitasking capability, so that you can edit
buffers while TeX is compiling in the background."

I have used SPF/PC for programming, and I find that it slows me down tremendous
ly.  I do not own Epsilon because I prefer to stick to inexpensive shareware
editors, but if money was no object that's probably the one I'd get.  The edito
rs that I have used on a PC include: KEDIT 4.0 by Mansfield Software (not bad
at all, and reasonably priced.  Its set up to emulate XEDIT nicely, if needed.)
, Sedt, (similar to the VAX editor edt...very good, and cheap!).  I plan to
try MicroEMACS as well.

--Dwaine
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 89 09:15:16 -0400
From: drcook@hubcap.clemson.edu (david richard cook)
To: lisa@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu

lisa@ctr.columbia.edu (Lisa Young):
> I need to convince some people that Epsilon is a better editor for
> programming in C than the IBM Professional Editor, or SPF/PC (an IBM
> mainframe editor lookalike).

	Epsilon is an editor that will continually amaze you with its
features.  I have used Epsilon for almost 4 years and think it is one
of the best pieces of software I have ever seen.  The documentation is
written for programmers (so it won't insult your intellegence).
Technical support (I have used it twice in 4 years) is excellent.
	The main advantages of Epsilon are best summarized in the
Lugaru's magazine ads.  For me, Epsilon's main advantage is Emacs
compatibility.  I am often on different computers, with different
operating systems, and Emacs is on every one of them.  Having taken
the time to learn Emacs, I have no reason, or inclination, to learn
any other editor.  I have found Epsilon to be the most faithful
recreation of Emacs available on the PC.
	The disadvantage of Epsilon is the learning curve required
before you will realize the full power of this editor.  This is an
editor for serious programming, and not casual programming.  The new
user may feel overwelmed by Epsilon's robust command set.  My
experience has led me to conclude that the more powerful the software
the longer it takes to master.
	I have no doubt that my productivity as a programmer has
increased since I began using Epsilon.  Epsilon has been worth every
penny it cost.

David R. Cook

1, answered,,
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 89 07:55:30 PDT
From: Tom Almy <toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com>
To: lisa@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,alt.msdos.programmer

Well I use Epsilon (and various EMACS editors on other machines). And I
wouldn't change to the IBM editor. But I think you are using the wrong
approach.

The choice of a programmers editor is a very personal thing. Much like
choosing a mate. There is very little agreement about what editor is best
(and that is an exageration!). I've seen people using editors that I
wouldn't want to be married to, ops, I mean use, in a million years. And
they are perfectly happy.

As long as the user is happy with his/her editor, there is no reason to
force a change, as the editor choice doesn't affect anyone else. You
shouldn't have a standard editor.

The best thing you can do is to get one copy each of all the different
editors (you should probably also include BRIEF, which also has a big
following), and let the potential users read the manuals and try the
editors out. Features of Epsilon that I like that may or may not be in
other editors:

1. Files can be of any size.
2. Supports all 256 character codes/no line size limits, so can actually
   use to view/edit binary files. I find this nice in debugging complex
   printer driver programs.
3. Multiple windows, multiple files (#files != #windows, necessarily). Can
   utilize any display size you can get your system to drop into (I regularly
   use 132x60 to look at assembler listing files).
4. Process window to run compiler or other DOS programs without leaving
   editor (in fact you can continue editing while compiler is running)
5. Editor can "goto next error", opening correct source file if necessary.
6. "C" mode handles indentation and keeps track of ( and { nesting.
7. Incremental search. Supports "regular expression" matching.
8. Tagging of procedures. You put the cursor on a procedure name, hit a key
   and the editor puts you at the definition of that procedure.
9. Undo/Redo for "unlimited" number of keystrokes. Cut and paste operations
   can use multiple cut buffers (kept in a circular queue) so you can do
   several cuts before having to paste anything back.
10. Keyboard is completely reconfiguarable, code for all commands (written
   in EEL, basically an extension of C) is included so you can modify or
   add commands. For instance, I have added support for C++ extensions and
   a LISP mode. I modified Epsilons automatic filename completion to
   ignore files with extensions COM, EXE, OBJ, etc.

But it's still a very subjective decision.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 89 10:41:02 EDT
From: Andrew Hudson <abh0@gte.com>
To: lisa@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,alt.msdos.programmer

Epsilon is a fast editor. A reasonable workable subset of the commands
can be learned by ANYBODY in 20 minutes. This editor can do ANYTHING.
This is because it is programmable in a extension language which is very
much like C. It's easy. You can save the state of your editor,
variables, keyboard macros, etc. You can run a DOS process in a window,
and everything that prints can be saved in a file. Its EASY TO USE.
It's just like all the other EMACS editors on lots of different
computers (portable).

And best of all, it has nothing to do with IBM.

- Andrew Hudson

Likes EMACS. Does not like IBM.

From: johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Date: 20 Oct 89 02:37:32 GMT

I am beta-testing Epsilon 4.11 on 386/ix.  It has no new features since 4.0,
except that it does run under 386/ix which previous versions didn't very well.
It's just like PC Epsilon, which is high praise indeed.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl
From: microsoft!robertre@uunet.uu.net
To: lisa@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu
Date: Thu Oct 19 11:49:12 1989

To: uunet!apple!gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!ctrsol!lisa
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,alt.msdos.programmer

In article <1989Oct17.201657.4450@ctr.columbia.edu> you write:
>I need to convince some people that Epsilon is a better editor for
>programming in C than the IBM Professional Editor, or SPF/PC (an IBM
>mainframe editor lookalike).
>
>Since I know many programmers out there feel strongly about their
>editor of choice and also that many people support Epsilon (Stallman's
>EMACS) I thought I would ask the networld for help.
>
>So, to anyone who is interested, what are the advantages and
>disadvantages of Epsilon over IBM PE and SPF/PC???
>
>Please send your replies to me and I will post a summary later for any
>of those curious in miscellany of opinions about PC editors.

Just a quick comment, if you want replies by mail you really should
put a path in your .signature.  Otherwise we rely on the brains of the
mailer to come up with one that will work, and it's usually unreliable.
You can be pretty sure that for every reply that actually makes it to
you several others didn't.

My latest favorite editor is called Slick, and is by the guy who wrote
the PE series for IBM.  He has since left to form his own company.  It
is sort of a cross between Epsilon and PE2.  It runs under DOS and OS/2.
Contact MicroEdge, Inc. PO Box 2367, Fairfax, VA 22031. (703) 670-4575.
The person answering the phone is the author, so consequently support
is awesome ("Hey Clarke, who do you do ....?")  Having used it and Epsilon,
I would say that they are equally capable, and it's clearly a generation
ahead of PE.  The major advantage is that I think he's selling it for
around $90 nowadays, so as far as bang for the buck goes it's awesome.

Epsilon/Slick have pretty much the same multi-window capabilities, macros,
rebindable keys, process in a buffer, etc.  Epsilon is popular (IMHO)
because it's easy for people who are used to EMACS editors on other
systems to get going with.  If you're starting fresh, take a look at
Slick.  As far as Epsilon/PE goes, I'd say Epsilon is the clear winner
in overall power and usability, though it might be because I'm more
comfortable with it.

Don't ignore Brief either.  It is an extremely powerful editor, with
the best undo facility I have ever seen.  I used it for a long time,
with great success.  I'd highly recommend it.

Editors are like religion.  The best one is the one you're comfortable
with.  If someone you work with is a guru in one or the other, by
definition that's the best one for you to use, because you'll learn
the most about it and be the most effective.

Good luck.  Hope this makes it.
--
Robert Reichel
robertre%microsof@beaver.washington.edu or

From kan@dg-rtp.dg.com Sun Oct 22 22:22:26 1989
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 89 11:39:36 edt
From: Victor Kan <kan@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To: lisa@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,alt.msdos.programmer

In article <1989Oct17.201657.4450@ctr.columbia.edu> you write:
>I need to convince some people that Epsilon is a better editor for
>programming in C than the IBM Professional Editor, or SPF/PC (an IBM
>mainframe editor lookalike).

I know little about those specific editors, but any editor by IBM (or
looks like something made by IBM) must be horrible, especially for
C programming :-).

>Since I know many programmers out there feel strongly about their
>editor of choice and also that many people support Epsilon (Stallman's
>EMACS) I thought I would ask the networld for help.

Epsilon is NOT Stallman's Emacs.  It looks like it and has some of it's
more powerful features, e.g. regular expressions and a shell buffer.
But for a GNU look/feel-alike on the PC, Freemacs is the way to go.
Of course Freemacs doesn't have nearly all of GNU's features.

Epsilon is highly programmable.  It comes with an EEL (Epsilon Extension
Language) compiler that makes it as programmable as you can get.  Most
of Epsilon is written in EEL.  I doubt those IBM editors have anything
like this.  At most, they'll have a named macro facility.

>So, to anyone who is interested, what are the advantages and
>disadvantages of Epsilon over IBM PE and SPF/PC???

Epsilon is FAST!!!!!  It has a practically unlimited file size capacity
using demand paged virtual memory.  It has a practically unlimited number
of buffers for *REAL* C programmers who have lots of source files to play
with.  It can display several windows on the screen at once, limited only
by the size of your display.  The latest version (4.0) supports the large
screen text modes of EGA/VGA displays.  Epsilon has the classic Emacs-style
incremental search (a fairly fast one too!) that is essentially an on-demand
content addressable text system.  For good typists, there's no faster way to
put the cursor on a visually found typo.

Epsilon has a REAL shell-buffer, unlike those cheap imitations in editors
like Brief and Micro-Emacs.  Those others really just fork a shell and
execute normally, while the editor is suspended, waiting idly by as the
shell executes.  Epsilon allows you to do shell stuff, e.g. COMPILING!,
while you continue editing!!!!

A disadvantage of Epsilon is that it will not work with TSR's too well
because Epsilon doesn't use the normal I/O calls.  Epsilon is practically
an operating system.  For example, if you try to write a file to a floppy
drive that has no disk in it, Epsilon can actually tell you that the
drive is not ready.  It won't give you that damned Abort, Ignore, Retry?
message that can trash other editors without saving out your changes.

Epsilon has on-line documentation, an apropos function, fast and easy
macros, too many features to list here.  Even though it's got a plethora
of features, it's not a memory hog.  Tell your friends to forget
those IBM editors and go with Epsilon.  In fact, if they refuse to use
Epsilon or some of the better Emacses, they don't deserve to be your
friend :-)!

>Please send your replies to me and I will post a summary later for any
>of those curious in miscellany of opinions about PC editors.

--
| Victor Kan               | I speak only for myself.               |  ***
| Data General Corporation | Edito cum Emacs, ergo sum.             | ****
| 62 T.W. Alexander Drive  | Columbia Lions Win, 9 October 1988 for | **** %%%%
| RTP, NC  27709           | a record of 1-44.  Way to go, Lions!   |  *** %%%

Lisa Fox
lmf@shibuya.cc.columbia.edu  or  lisa@ctr.columbia.edu

[this .sig is brought to you by popular demand]

chris@iesd.auc.dk (Christian J. Callsen) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct26.150159.3666@ctr.columbia.edu> lisa@ctr.columbia.edu (Lisa Young) writes:

> lots of stuff deleted ....

  Epsilon sounds pretty good to me, I have not heard of ever
  though  ;^) ..

  Is it *Ware  (shareware, freeware etc.) ????

-Chris :^)

--
    _____________    : Med Venlig Hilsen & Greetings From
   / ennyn durin \   :