[alt.msdos.programmer] Copying very large files

wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (wordproc) (11/23/89)

I have a very large file on my MSDOS 4.01 machine that I need to copy onto
360K diskettes and transfer onto an MSDOS 3.3 machine.

The file is an .EXE file of about a megabyte in length and is a self-extracting
archive created with PAK.

Naturally, I cannot use 4.01's BACKUP/RESTORE to copy the file over several
disks because 4.01's RESTORE will give an "incorrect DOS version" error when
I try to restore the file to the MSDOS 3.3 machine's hard disk.  I presume
that using MSDOS 3.3's BACKUP/RESTORE will fail for the same or similar
reason.

Upgrading the 3.3 machine to 4.01 is not an option, unfortunately.

What other utility could I use that won't take the DOS version into account?

                                            _________             /
              Marcus Clenney   ___    ___  /___  ___/ ________   /
      U. of Central Florida   /   |  /   |    / /    / ______/  /
 Dept. of Computer Science   / /| | / /| |   / /    / /        /
       Orlando, FL  32816   / / | |/ / | |  / /    / /_____   /
 wordproc@bithlo.ucf.edu   /_/  |___/  |_| /_/    /_______/  /
____________________________________________________________/

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (11/23/89)

In article <1380@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU> wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (wordproc) writes:
>Naturally, I cannot use 4.01's BACKUP/RESTORE to copy the file over several
>disks because 4.01's RESTORE will give an "incorrect DOS version" error when
>I try to restore the file to the MSDOS 3.3 machine's hard disk.  I presume
>that using MSDOS 3.3's BACKUP/RESTORE will fail for the same or similar
>reason.

Why not just boot the 3.3 machine from a 4.01 floppy, and use 4.01's restore
there?  You needn't install 4.01 on the disk to be able to run it.

Duncan Murdoch