[alt.msdos.programmer] PC remote control software

tbaker@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Me - that's who.) (01/04/90)

I am looking for a piece of software that will allow me to dial up an IBM
PC and allow me to control it remotely. I have been using Carbon Copy 5.0 and
have had problems with it locking up the keyboard, and I have heard of it
locking up the entire computer at other installations. The packages I have
heard of are:

    Carbon Copy 5.0 (flakey)
    Cosession
    PC-Anywhere

I would greatly appreciate hearing from people who have used any of these or
other packaged software that performs this function.

Thanks in the Millions,
-jeff

jdunn@polyslo.calpoly.EDU

ARRITT@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (What a waste it is to lose one's mind.) (01/04/90)

In article <1990Jan3.205217.15352@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, tbaker@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Me - that's who.) writes:
> I am looking for a piece of software that will allow me to dial up an IBM
> PC and allow me to control it remotely.

I've been using pc-Anywhere with very good results.  The only problem is
that it doesn't like software with graphics-oriented interfaces (e.g.
Microsoft Works).  Other than that, it works quite well.

It is also slightly finicky about the type of modem you use on the host
end (the computer you're dialing in to).  The modems we get on state contract
are real dogs, so it's not surprising that the program objects.  Supposedly
it has a "generic Hayes compatible" modem option but I'd still recommend
using a type that is explicitly supported.  Most of the brands you've heard
of are in fact supported (Hayes, MultiTech, Everex, etc.)  The remote end
doesn't seem to be as critical.
Ray Arritt                     |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy |
Univ. of Kansas                |
Lawrence, KS  66045            |
arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      |
arritt@ukanvax.bitnet          |

mocker@raspberry.ucsb.edu (Mocker, Joe David) (01/05/90)

In article <1990Jan3.205217.15352@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdunn@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jeff Dunn) writes:
>I am looking for a piece of software that will allow me to dial up an IBM
>PC and allow me to control it remotely. I have been using Carbon Copy 5.0 and
>have had problems with it locking up the keyboard, and I have heard of it
>locking up the entire computer at other installations. The packages I have
>heard of are:
>
>    Carbon Copy 5.0 (flakey)
>    Cosession
>    PC-Anywhere
>

>I would greatly appreciate hearing from people who have used any of these or
>other packaged software that performs this function.

Jeff, the functionality of these programs depend on what you will be doing
with the computers; what software will you be running. I used to work for
Norton-Lambert which makes the remote control software Close-Up. Close-Up is
an excellent product that is much better than CC any version, the price leaves
something to be desired. During my time there I participated in evaluating
most of these products. While I see Close-Up as probably the easiest to use,
CoSession, I remember to be extremely quick on screen updates; yet the user
interface leaves something to be desired (this was a year ago, maybe the
interface has changed) PcAnywhere is good in that you can have any VT100
emulator on the remote side (I think it was VT100, not sure what type of
emulation) Remote2 is the same (I think it is by DCA)
One thing you may want to do is to ask for demos before buying; I know Close-Up
and maybe CC both have demos where you call one of their machines to play with
some applications.

Joe.

wilson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Tom Wilson) (01/07/90)

In article <1990Jan3.205217.15352@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdunn@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jeff Dunn) writes:
>I am looking for a piece of software that will allow me to dial up an IBM
>PC and allow me to control it remotely. I have been using Carbon Copy 5.0 and
>have had problems with it locking up the keyboard, and I have heard of it
>locking up the entire computer at other installations. The packages I have
>heard of are:
>
>    Carbon Copy 5.0 (flakey)
>    Cosession
>    PC-Anywhere

I've been using CC extensively in the last four months for communications
between Hawaii and several sites in California.  (Version 5.0, 5.1 in the last
four weeks).  We've occasionally had problems with it hanging on both ends
of the connection, but this seems to be traceable to other TSRs popping up
during a session (in particular, I am dialing into a 3Com network with 3com
mail installed, and if it pops up to tell me I have mail on my network
account, CC hangs), and when we've removed the TSRs, all problems go away.

Previously I used PC-anywhere version 2, and had satisfactory results
in local communications.  It seems to be a little more subject to line
noise, but that may be a function of the default setup which I never
modified.  It occasionally hung on me when sending files over 200K @ 1200 baud.
I like the fact that version 2 takes on 40K RAM in the host, while CC takes
60K (we're tight on RAM, because the host is running a fairly piggy app on a
network.)  Version 3 of pcAnywhere uses 47K, but I haven't tried it yet.

--
Tom Wilson                        wilson@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Internet)
                                  wilson@uhccux.UUCP || wilson@uhccux (Bitnet)