[alt.msdos.programmer] undocumented DOS call

luke@mtuno.ATT.COM (s.l.jones) (01/19/90)

Does anybody out there know, off hand, what the
undocumented DOS call 5E01 does?  Should I care?
How does somebody find out these things?

Thanks in advance,
--
S. Luke Jones,  luke@mtung.att.com  or  ...!att!mtung!luke    201/957-2733
AT&T Inf###Bell Labs, Rm. MT 2E-337, 200 Laurel Ave., Middletown, NJ 07748

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (01/19/90)

Quoth luke@mtuno.ATT.COM (s.l.jones) (in <2790@mtuno.ATT.COM>):
#Does anybody out there know, off hand, what the
#undocumented DOS call 5E01 does?  Should I care?

It's not to difficult to guess:

INT 21 - DOS 3.1 + Microsoft Networks - SET MACHINE NAME
        AX = 5E01h
        CH = 00h undefine name
           <> 0  define name
        CL = name number
        DS:DX -> ASCIZ name

(Note: the "name number" is the number returned by 5E00h in CL.)

#How does somebody find out these things?

From "the interrupt list". Here's the availability info from the
INTERRUP.1ST readme:

The newest release of this list is available in these places (please do not
ask me to email it, it is just too large for that):

On the ARPAnet, by standard anonymous FTP from CS.CMU.EDU [128.2.222.173].
        Change to directory /afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/ralf/pub and get the file
        interrup.zip which is a link to the current version.  You MUST change
        directory first because of the way CMU's anonymous FTP works.  ZIP
        unarchivers for MSDOS and BSD Unix are available in the "zip"
        subdirectory.

On FIDOnet, from The Gas Passer BBS 1:129/46 1-412-648-6326 1200/2400/9600 HST
        as file INTERnyy.ZIP, where nyy stands for release 'n' of year 'yy',
        in file area #18 (User Uploads) or #9 (Miscellaneous Goodies).  ZIP
        executables are in file area #19.  First-time callers may download.

The list is also posted to USEnet in comp.binaries.ibm.pc about three times per
year, concurrent with a new release of the list.  Since comp.binaries.ibm.pc is
archived, you will be able to find a fairly recent release in the various UUCP
archives.

Secondary Distribution Points (the list will be available here within a day or
so of release):
ARPA:   on WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74] as file INTERnyy.ARC in directory
        PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>, where nyy stands for release n of year yy.  Note
        that you must use mode "tenex" or "type L 8" to successfully FTP the
        file.
FIDO:   SyncPoint BBS 1-301-682-2731 File Requests.
        First-time callers may download.

Additional Distribution Points:
BITnet: you may retrieve the copy on WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL via the following
        automated mail servers:
        (in the US) LISTSERV@RPIECS (alias VM.ECS.RPI.EDU)
                    LISTSERV@NDSUVM1 (alias VM1.NODAK.EDU)
        (in Europe) TRICKLE at TREARN (Turkey)
                    TRICKLE at IMIPOLI (Italy)
                    TRICKLE at DB0FUB11 (Germany)
                    TRICKLE at DKTC11 (Denmark)
                    TRICKLE at AWIWUW11 (Austria)
                    LISTSERV at FINTUVM (Finland)
CompuServe: on the IBM Forum as INTnyy.*

Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)
-----------
"Always mistrust anyone who claims that ANYTHING is 'perfect'"
   (My 12-year old daughter Katie. Out of the mouths....)

tcm@srhqla.SR.COM (Tim Meighan) (01/20/90)

In article <2790@mtuno.ATT.COM> luke@mtuno.ATT.COM
(s.l.jones) writes:

>Does anybody out there know, off hand, what the
>undocumented DOS call 5E01 does?  Should I care?
>How does somebody find out these things?

The book DOS PROGRAMMER'S REFERENCE (published by Que) contains a complete
reference section that includes the undocumented DOS functions.

Of course, using them will make your tongue cleave to the roof of your mouth.
(Worse, your program may break on the next release of DOS.)

Tim Meighan
Silent Radio

"I wanted it frozen, and you COOKED it!"          -Lynda Barry