[alt.msdos.programmer] Saving a text screen

jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jon Joshua) (01/18/90)

I'm looking for a way to save a rectangular portion of a text screen
for later retreival.  My goal is to make a pop-up window function for
a program that I am working on.

I've got the window part working but I cannot find a way to replace
the overwritten characters after the window goes away.

_getimage()/_putimage() do not seem to work in text mode.  Is there
another way to do things or am I doing something wrong with
_getimage/_putimage?

Thanks,
JOn.
--
                        /\                    ?               ________________
jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu \  ____   __       fgu             |.signature under|

CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET (Charles Hannum) (01/19/90)

I am just assuming that you are working with TurboC or TurboPascal ...

Look up gettext() and puttext() in the manual of which ever compiler you are
using.

Virtually,
- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"
  cmh117@psuvm.{bitnet,psu.edu}  "No noozzzz izzz netzzzsnoozzzzz..."
  c9h@psuecl.{bitnet,psu.edu}    "Mem'ry, all alone in the moonlight ..."

erc@khijol.UUCP (Edwin R. Carp) (01/19/90)

In article <Jan.17.20.10.42.1990.21893@topaz.rutgers.edu> jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jon Joshua) writes:

>I'm looking for a way to save a rectangular portion of a text screen

 [ ... ]

>_getimage()/_putimage() do not seem to work in text mode.  Is there

get/putimage only works for graphics screens.  The fastest way to do this is
to directly address video memory, scarf the text and attributes, and save it
away somewhere.
--
Ed Carp                 N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5)     uunet!cs.utexas.edu!khijol!erc
Austin, Texas           (512) 832-5884          "Good tea.  Nice house." - Worf

CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET (Charles Hannum) (01/20/90)

In article <1069@khijol.UUCP>, erc@khijol.UUCP (Edwin R. Carp) says:

>In article <Jan.17.20.10.42.1990.21893@topaz.rutgers.edu>
>jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jon Joshua) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a way to save a rectangular portion of a text screen
>
>>_getimage()/_putimage() do not seem to work in text mode.  Is there
>
>get/putimage only works for graphics screens.  The fastest way to do this is
>to directly address video memory, scarf the text and attributes, and save it
>away somewhere.

No, no, no.  This would create a compatibility problem.  As I said in a

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Chinese sauce for fish
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 10:48:10 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

                             Sauce for Fish
                              Hoy-Seng Ding

Ingredients:

  5 cups soy beans
  2 tbsp minced garlic
  2 tbsp boiled red rice
  1 tbsp salt
  1 1/2 tbsp sugar

Preparation:

  1. Pour 3/4 gallon boiling water into a large pot. Add all ingredients.
  2. Bake in oven (I'd guess at 350) 3 hours or until ingredients are soft.
  3. Mash fine and put in airtight bottle. Keep in a cool place for one month.

Source: "The Chinese Cook Book" (Hong)

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Subgum sweet and sour vegetable sauce [RECIPE]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 10:53:50 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

                   Subgum sweet and sour vegetable sauce
                          Sip Gum Tien-Soon Wu

Ingredients:

  3/4 cup sugar
  1/2 cup vinegar
  1 can Chinese mixed pickles, shredded fine
  1 tbsp cornstarch
  1 tsp heavy soy sauce

Preparation:

  1. Mix cornstarch and soy sauce with 1/2 cup water. Stir well.
  2. Heat 1 cup water in saucepan until boiling.
  3. Add sugar and vinegar and cook until sugar dissolves.
  4. Add pickles and cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Add cornstarch mixture and cook until sauce thickens.

Notes:

  1. Mixed American sweet pickles may be used instead of the Chinese pickles.

Source: "The Chinese Cook Book" (Hong)

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Chinese Soy Bean Jam [RECIPE]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 10:59:29 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

                            Soy Bean Jam
                           Mien-Shee Ding

Ingredients:

  3 cups soy beans
  2 tbsp sugar
  3 tbsp salt

Preparation:

  1. Mix ingredients together in boiling water 3 inches over beans.
  2. Cover and cook 2 hours; add more boiling water if necessary.
  3. Preserve in airtight jar 6 months or longer.

Notes:

  1. I think this is what is called "Bean Sauce" in some places. I suspect
     that a preparation that added chopped dried red peppers would make an
     acceptable "Hot Bean Sauce".

Source: "The Chinese Cook Book" (Hong)

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Light Soy Sauce [RECIPE]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 11:05:36 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

                             Light Soy Sauce
                                Yuen You

Ingredients:

  10 cups soy beans
  1/2 cup salt
  6 gallons water

Preparation:

  1. Mix all ingredients together and cook until boiling.
  2. Lower heat, simmer 5 hours (about 5 gallons of water should be left).
  3. Strain.
  4. Pour in 5-gallon glass jar. Seal airtight.
  5. Place on window ledge or other sunny spot.
  6. Allow to age 1 year or more.

Notes:

  1. The beans left over after straining can be used to make Soy Bean Jam.

Source: "The Chinese Cookbook" (Hong)

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Black Soy Sauce [RECIPE]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 11:09:46 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

                              Black Soy Sauce
                                  Chow You

Ingredients:

  10 cups soy beans
  1/2 cup salt
  6 gallons water
  1 qt molasses
  1 cup rice wine

Preparation:

  1. Mix beans, salt and water together and cook until boiling. Lower heat,
     simmer 5 hours. About 5 gallons of water should be left.
  2. Strain. Pour in 5-gallon glass jar, seal airtight.
  3. Place on window ledge or other sunny spot. Allow to age for 6 months.
  4. After 6 months, strain off the beans and add the molasses and rice wine.
  5. Seal again, age for at least 6 more months. Make sure there is plenty of
     sunshine.

Notes:

  1. This sauce is served with a meal as a salt substitute. It is not used for
     cooking.
  2. I think this is what Kikkoman and most Tamari sauces are.

Source: "The Chinese Cook Book" (Hong)

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Heavy (Double Black) Soy Sauce [RECIPE]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 11:16:15 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

                             Heavy Soy Sauce
                                 Chee You

Ingredients:

  10 cups soy beans
  1/2 cup salt
  6 gallons water
  5 gallons molasses

Preparation:

  1. Combine beans, salt and water. Heat until boiling. Lower heat, simmer
     for 5 hours. About 5 gallons of water should be left.
  2. Strain. Pour in 5 gallon glass jar, seal airtight.
  3. Place on window ledge or other sunny spot. Age for 6 months.
  4. After 6 months, add molasses. Seal again and age for at least 6 more
     months.

Source: "The Chinese Cook Book" (Hong)

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Oyster Sauce [RECIPE]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 11:20:32 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

                          Oyster Sauce
                             Hoo You

Ingredients:

  1 gallon fresh oysters
  3 tbsp cooking salt
  4 cloves garlic, mashed
  4 slices fresh ginger
  2 fresh leeks (white part only)
  2 gallons water
  2 cups light soy sauce
  2 tbsp sugar
  1/2 cup cornstarch

Preparation:

  1. Combine oysters, salt, garlic, ginger, leeks and water in a large pot.
  2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 hours. About 1 gallon of water
     should be left.
  3. Mix remaining ingredients with 1 1/2 cups water, Stir well and add to
     sauce gradually.
  4. Cook another 20 minutes. Strain, reserving oysters.
  5. Pour sauce in airtight bottle and keep in a cool place. Refrigerate after
     opening.

Notes:

  1. If you wish, you can dry the oysters for later use. You could also feed
     them to your cat.

Source: "The Chinese Cook Book" (Hong)

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Chinese Chili Sauce [RECIPE]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 11:26:10 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

                            Chinese Chili Sauce
                                Lard-Dew Din

Ingredients:

  5 cups red chili
  4 cups apricots
  2 tbsp preserved lemon
  2 tbsp garlic
  10 cups water

Preparation:

  1. Puree solids in a blender or food processor. Combine with water in a
     large pot.
  2. Heat until boiling, then lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
  3. Pour in an airtight jar and keep in a warm place (in sunlight if possible)
     for 3 months or more.

Notes:

  1. The original recipe does not note what "preserved lemon" is but I would
     presume it is dried lemon peel.
  2. I suspect that "red chili" is fresh chopped red chili peppers, not some
     kind of chili powder. I'd try making a small batch and taste it before
     aging to see how hot it is.

Source: "The Chinese Cook Book" (Hong)