[alt.msdos.programmer] Hiding/Protecting Directories

deen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) (04/11/90)

	Some friends and I are developing some software that requires
equipment that we don't have (386, PostScript Printer), but our school
just happens to have laying around in one of their computing centers.

	The centers are for word processing mainly, but students are
allowed to use the computers for other purposes.  My problem is that
The data and programs would have to be stored on one of the machines
hard disk, which is allowed, but then anyone can have access to them.
I wouldn't mind saving on floppy, and erasing the hard disk, but the
data involved promises to be several megs ziped.

	Does anyone know of a way of passowrd protecting a directory and
it's contents?

	I have already though of making the directory a hidden directory,
but it still allows it to be erased.  I am not looking for a foolproof
method, but something to give anyone trying to get into or erase my directory
a really hard time.

	Note: It's highly unlikely that this centers computers will see
the likes of the Norton Utilities, PC Tools or X-Tree.

						Tanx In AdvanZ

						-Z Raisin

	PS. Please Email responses to me, as I don't read this group often
	enough.
rutgers!gritty!zraisin | Super Amazin  Cinnamon Raisin | deen@topaz.rutgers.edu
< < < < M A Y   T H E    P R E Z E N T   T E N Z  B E   W I T H   Y O U > > > >

HVO@psuvm.psu.edu (04/11/90)

PCTools allows H and S attributes on files and sub-dirs.  In the PCShell, under
File is Attribute Change...first select all of the files within the sub; Slect
is under Options.  For a sub, goto the Disk menu, Directory Maintenance, Attrib
utes...it works the same as files do.

Also, PC Magazine has utility file called ATTR.COM which works similiarly to DO
S ATTRIB.COM except that it allows H and S as well as A and R, and it works on
files and subs.

With either utility the results are the same.

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) (04/11/90)

In article <Apr.10.17.03.29.1990.19908@topaz.rutgers.edu> deen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) writes:

>	I have already though of making the directory a hidden directory,
>but it still allows it to be erased.  I am not looking for a foolproof
>method, but something to give anyone trying to get into or erase my directory
>a really hard time.

Try using ATTRIB +R *.*  on all the files in the subdirectory and then
hide the subdirectory. That way, the only people who can erase your
files are those who know about the ATTRIB command.

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!walt!nghiem

draper@cpsin1.uucp (Patrick J Draper) (04/11/90)

>	Does anyone know of a way of passowrd protecting a directory and
>it's contents?
>
>	I have already though of making the directory a hidden directory,
>but it still allows it to be erased.  I am not looking for a foolproof
>method, but something to give anyone trying to get into or erase my directory
>a really hard time.
>
>	Note: It's highly unlikely that this centers computers will see
>the likes of the Norton Utilities, PC Tools or X-Tree.
>

>						Tanx In AdvanZ

Something that will give people a really hard time is to use Turbo
Pascal (other languages might work too) to create a directory with a
funny name that dos doesn't understand from the command line like
#&% 123  ---- the space between the % and the 1 is intentional. The
idea is that you can use a little program to change your directories.
What's really neat is that on a dos directory listing, the characters
you use after the space will not be displayed, so there's added
security. They can't see the full name of the directory, and even if
they could, there's no legal way they can specify that directory on a
command line.

Patrick Draper   -    Michigan State University

roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Ender Wiggin) (04/11/90)

In article <Apr.10.17.03.29.1990.19908@topaz.rutgers.edu>
deen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a way of passowrd protecting a directory and
>it's contents?

I can't think of an easy way to password-protect a directory (short of
writing a TSR to intercept DOS "del" commands or disk accesses), but I do
know of several ways to make it hard to find.  Putting the directory
several levels deep in the directory tree (preferably under an existing
directory and/or subdirectory(s)) is a good start; moving the directory
name near the top of the directory listing (with, e.g., Norton's DS
program) and changing its date to something similar to the other files
(with a utility such as FDATE.COM) would be a start.  Adding an extension
to the directory name is always a fun one, too.

Best of all, however, is using some of the upper-level ASCII characters
in the name, ideally with at least one invisible one (e.g. ASCII 255).
I'm pretty sure DOS allows that one, and I think most of the others as
well; I know the centered dots (254? 250?) are allowed because I've used
them in diskette labels before.  Thus you could name your directory
something like

                   DATA<.>< >.< >

where <.> represents one of the centered dots/bullets and < > is ASCII
255.  A casual perusal of the parent directory would then list something
like

               DATA.        <DIR>          25-JUN-1988
               OTHERFIL ES          24564  30-OCT-1988
               ETC          <DIR>          16-JUN-1988

(or however DOS lists directory entries; I can't remember), but doing
a "dir data\*.*" would result in a "directory not found" error or something
like that.  So would "del data"; and, of course, "del data*.*" only looks
for regular files under DOS.  These characters can be entered with ALT and
the numeric keypad, in case you've forgotten.

Hope this helps.  Of course, now that millions of users worldwide have just
read all this, it's not much of a secret anymore, eh?  :)

Greg
Physics geek from hell

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (04/11/90)

}
}Something that will give people a really hard time is to use Turbo
}Pascal (other languages might work too) to create a directory with a
}funny name that dos doesn't understand from the command line like
}#&% 123  ---- the space between the % and the 1 is intentional. The
}idea is that you can use a little program to change your directories.
}What's really neat is that on a dos directory listing, the characters
}you use after the space will not be displayed, so there's added

Maybe on your version, but MSDOS 3.3 COMMAND.COM, 4DOS v3.0, SD v6.2, PiCnix
v3 "ls" and the PC Tools v5.5 Shell all display the characters after the blank
(I just tried it, doing a MKDIR `T 2` with 4DOS).

}security. They can't see the full name of the directory, and even if
}they could, there's no legal way they can specify that directory on a
}command line.

Unless they are using 4DOS or the PiCnix utilities or PC Tools or ....
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

reeves@dvinci.usask.ca (Malcolm Reeves) (04/14/90)

From article <Apr.10.17.03.29.1990.19908@topaz.rutgers.edu>, by deen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin):

> 	Does anyone know of a way of passowrd protecting a directory and
> it's contents?

A simple but fairly effective method is the make the first character in the
directory name ASCII 127. This is the delete/backspace character and makes
the directory invisible and difficult to "cd" to on the command line. If
you make all the files read only you should be fairly well protected from
accidental deletion. There is no way to protect from malicious deletion by
someone who knows their way around ms-dos - like your friendly computer lab
manager :-)

rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert L. Bailey) (04/14/90)

In article <1990Apr13.173945.15786@dvinci.usask.ca> reeves@dvinci.usask.ca (Malcolm Reeves) writes:
>From article <Apr.10.17.03.29.1990.19908@topaz.rutgers.edu>, by deen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin):
>>
>> 	Does anyone know of a way of passowrd protecting a directory and
>> it's contents?
>>
>A simple but fairly effective method is the make the first character in the
>directory name ASCII 127. This is the delete/backspace character and makes
>the directory invisible and difficult to "cd" to on the command line. If
>you make all the files read only you should be fairly well protected from
>accidental deletion. There is no way to protect from malicious deletion by
>someone who knows their way around ms-dos - like your friendly computer lab
>manager :-)

There is a shareware/PD program that uses the delete character trick.
It is called SECRET.ARC.  It includes 3 programs:
	SECRETMD - to make a dir
	SECRETCD - to change to a secret dir
	SECRETRD - to remove a secret dir
It is available on many BBSs.  If you get it, and keep the programs
on diskette, it will keep the casual user from getting at your files,
but, as stated above, someone that really knows his stuff can still
get at the files (or someone with a good utility set like Norton).
The directories created with this program are created with the hidden
attribute, so they are not visible unless something like Nortons is
used.