[alt.msdos.programmer] Color ANSI codes for PC BBS terminals

wras@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Steve Mariotti) (05/09/90)

Can anyone point me out to where I can find the ANSI codes for sending
color information? I'm writing a sort of ANSI terminal that I want to
provide with color support, as well as all the standard bold, u/l, inverse
cursor addressing, etc features of vt100.

Pointers to a document with comprehensive info on this subject would be
a godsend.  Mail with any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks alog

(alot)

Steve

 ______  _____________________________________________________________________
| ____ |   Steve Mariotti -- University of Texas at Austin -- CS Undergrad(e) |
||    || ---------------------------------------------------------------------|
||    || wras@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu | csar242@ix1.cc.utexas.edu | AOL:SteveM16   |
| ---- | ---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|.  -- |          "Wouldn't be prudent, not at this juncture."                |
|______| ---------------------------------------------------------------------'
|______|          function introspanish(time : longint) : pain;

emmonsl@athena.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (05/09/90)

In article <29642@ut-emx.UUCP> wras@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Steve Mariotti) writes:
>Can anyone point me out to where I can find the ANSI codes for sending
>color information? I'm writing a sort of ANSI terminal that I want to
>provide with color support, as well as all the standard bold, u/l, inverse
>cursor addressing, etc features of vt100.

First, try your dos manual...under ansi.sys.  If not there, try a "programming
reference manual" (even radio shack's if you plan to buy one: BIOS is the same
and the book is the cheapest I've seen).

Second, here's a list:

code:	ESC[*;...;*m

param	fg/bg	color
-----   -----   -----
0	both	all attr off (white on black)
1	fg	high intensity
5	both	blink
7	both	reverse video
8	both	hidden
30	fg	black
31	fg	red
32	fg	green
33	fg	brown (yellow in high intensity)
34	fg	blue
35	fg	magenta
36	fg	cyan
37	fg	white
40-47	bg	(same as 30-37, but background)

You can mux colors, for example:

	ESC[0;33;44;1;5m	is yellow over blue flashing (and reset)

Or just change a single attr:

	ESC[32m

And before changing, make sure you

	ESC[0m			to clear prev. attributes

unless you only want to change one bit of it.

			L. Scott Emmons
	...[!ucbvax]!ucdavis!csusac!{scott,athena!emmonsl}
	ucdavis!csusac!{scott,athena!emmonsl}@ucbvax.berkeley.edu