[alt.msdos.programmer] speech in applications

jpeken@gara.une.oz.au (John Peken Guest) (06/07/90)

Where can one find information on outputting speech in applications through
the standard ibm speaker *without* a voice card or other special attachments?

Can this be done with TurboC?

What is the best way to sample the speech (if this is required)?

Is there available a set of functions for the phonetic alphabet (or some
similarly defined set of speech sounds?

I would be most grateful for any advice or suggestions for contacts. Please
reply (or send copy of reply) by email.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/08/90)

In article <1836@gara.une.oz.au> jpeken@gara.une.oz.au (John Peken Guest) writes:
>Where can one find information on outputting speech in applications through
>the standard ibm speaker *without* a voice card or other special attachments?
>
>Can this be done with TurboC?
>
>What is the best way to sample the speech (if this is required)?
>
>Is there available a set of functions for the phonetic alphabet (or some
>similarly defined set of speech sounds?
>
>I would be most grateful for any advice or suggestions for contacts. Please
>reply (or send copy of reply) by email.

I have a little program called "atalk" that I got off of compuserve once. I
don't have source, but maybe the author would give it away.

Anyway, it attempted to play speech and other sounds out the standard speaker.
It works, but the quality is not good, you have to strain a little to under-
stand it.

If there is interest, I could probably post the program to one of the "binary"
newsgroups.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254