[alt.msdos.programmer] Turbo Products

blake@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Blake Freeburg) (06/05/90)

Has anyone used or heard anything from Borland about the new Turbo Debugger,
Turbo Profiler, and Turbo Assembler.  Borland put up a notice that they
were being released (2/6/90) but I have not received any upgrade notice.

Also, Infoworld had a notice that TC++ will be released on May 14.  Anybody
know anything about that? BTW that is InfoWorld for April 23, 3rd page...

Thanks in advance
blake freeburg

dm3e+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Allen Markley) (06/05/90)

Just this week, a friend told me he had just received the Borland test
version of TC++. It's ready to go out. I'll try to get more specifics,
if I can.

--David

dm3e+@andrew.cmu.edu

shurr@cbnews.att.com (Larry A. Shurr) (06/05/90)

In article <29406@ut-emx.UUCP> blake@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Blake Freeburg) writes:
>Has anyone used or heard anything from Borland about the new Turbo Debugger,
>Turbo Profiler, and Turbo Assembler.  Borland put up a notice that they
>were being released (2/6/90) but I have not received any upgrade notice.

>Also, Infoworld had a notice that TC++ will be released on May 14.  Anybody
>know anything about that? BTW that is InfoWorld for April 23, 3rd page...

I received a notice from Borland last week regarding Turbo C++, Debugger,
Profiler, Assembler.  It was not an upgrade notice, but an offer to "all
registered owners of a Borland product" to purchase Turbo C++ Professional
(includes Assembler, Debugger, Profiler) for $125 + $5 shipping.  I sent my
order in last Wed and await my new Turbo C++ Professional.

I don't have the glossies in front of me now, but they touted such features
as a customizable integrated environment (multiple windows, use your favorite
editor, etc...) and debugger understands and displays object hierarchies and
has an "undo" feature allowing you to back out of an execution sequence.
This last feature is a pretty neat trick; I don't recall that they mention
any limitations on the "run backwards" feature, so I don't know how much
backing out you can really do.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
My psuedo-Burma Shave .signature has served me long and well and has been

RichThomas@cup.portal.com (Richard Rich Thomas) (06/06/90)

Turbo C++ is already shipping -- I've seen it in stores already.  As for
Turbo C++ Professional (includes Turbo Debugger 2.0, TASM 2.0, and Turbo
Profiler), I've not seen that package, but believe it is shipping.

Rich Thomas

David_Dave_Tamashiro@cup.portal.com (06/06/90)

I just got my upgrade to TC++ pro yesterday so I guess they are now
shipping.  I found it interesting that the box was label "not for
export".  I wonder what is in it that the State Dept. feels should not
be exported.  386 code maybe??

Dave

mkallas@digi.lonestar.org (mark kallas) (06/06/90)

I received a notice this week that I can upgrade my Turbo Debugger & Assembler
for $59.00 + $5.00 S&H. They are advertising their new debugger has reverse
instruction tracing to see how you got there, a code profiler to analyze where
your time is spent and full support for Turbo C++ and other Borland compilers.
Their Assembler is fully MASM compatible and twice as fast. The package also
has enhanced use of extended and expanded memory.

A friend who bought the Turbo C Professional received an notice to upgrade
to the new debugger and assembler and get C++ for $129.00 + ?? S&H.

Mark Kallas

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (06/06/90)

Last week I called in an order for the upgrade to C++ Professional, and was
told there would be a four week shipping time. I heard from another source
that C++ Pro wouldn't appear in the stores until mid June.

In the beginning of May I got an upgrade letter for the Assembler/Debugger!
I thought it would be the C->C++ upgrade notice. I never got a C-C++ upgrade
notice but I did receive an offer to get C++ based on my owning Turbo Pascal!
(BTW, that costs $175 instead of the $125 for Turbo C owners).

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

jmoore@cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Moore) (06/08/90)

In article <1990Jun5.153558.14458@cbnews.att.com> shurr@cbnews.att.com (Larry A. Shurr) writes:
>This last feature is a pretty neat trick; I don't recall that they mention
>any limitations on the "run backwards" feature, so I don't know how much
>backing out you can really do.

I recall reading that the "run backwards" feature allows you to backup
in the current routine only. The way I understood it you could go into
a subroutine and backtrack "n" statements but you could not back out
of a subroutine. I beleive I read this in this months Byte magazine but
don't quote me on it.

>regards, Larry
>--
>Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
>My psuedo-Burma Shave .signature has served me long and well and has been
>retired.  A new .signature is now under consideration.
>This posting reflects my opinions, not those of AGS or AT&T, but you knew that)

Jim Moore
jmoore@cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu