[alt.msdos.programmer] Insights on selling software?

haverlan@boulder.Colorado.EDU (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) (07/14/90)

Insights on selling software?

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has sold a software
package to a company that markets it.
Did you sell it for a lump sum, royalties, both, or some other
arrangement?
How did you approach the company?
Any insight that you can give me in this area is most appreciated.
(I'm primarily interested in the PC market.)

Thanks for any info.

Marc Haverland       haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu       303-230-8529

horstman@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu (Cay Horstmann) (07/15/90)

In article <23453@boulder.Colorado.EDU> haverlan@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) writes:

>I am interested in hearing from anyone who has sold a software
>package to a company that markets it.
>Did you sell it for a lump sum, royalties, both, or some other
>arrangement?

Read "Legal Care for your Software" for guidance. I would strongly
suggest royalties instead of a lump sum if your product is any good :-)
And ask for an advance against royalties. I think typical figures are
approx. 20% of net sales, and an advance of what they estimate the royalties
to be in the first 6-12 months. I'd like to know the experience of other
netters on these figures!

("Legal Care for your Software" is from Nolo Press in Berkeley.)

How to approach companies? Beats me. When I was in that situation, I sent
my creation to a large number of companies and got a yawn from everyone.
I ended up marketing it myself, with very good success. I certainly have
a lot more (1) money (2) control (3) hassle this way than going through
a publisher, but how many tiny software companies does the world need?

Cay

P.S. Why don't you tell us more about your product, maybe you can get
a direct referral from someone else on the net.