[alt.msdos.programmer] Where can I find DIF format specification?

dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) (03/29/91)

Can anyone tell me (via email, please) where I might find the specification
for the .DIF file format used for import/export of data by spreadsheet
programs like Lotus 1-2-3?

If anyone has a library of routines that will read/write .DIF files, I would
be interested in getting sources also. (OK, so I'm lazy :-)

Thanks.
--
Dave Dittrich
dittrich@u.washington.edu     ...!uw-beaver!u.washington.edu!dittrich

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar28.194511.18054@milton.u.washington.edu> dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) writes:
>Can anyone tell me (via email, please) where I might find the specification
>for the .DIF file format used for import/export of data by spreadsheet
>programs like Lotus 1-2-3?

(I'll post this since it might be useful to others)

There is a book (I think actually a series of books) entitled "File Formats
for Popular PC Software" by Jeff Walden.  The one I have in my hand
(ISBM 0 471-83671-0) includes descriptions of many file formats including
DIF (and also the Supercalc 3 and Super Data Interchange formats, which are
supposed supersets of DIF).
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW, tvf@cci.com   | "Death is Irrelevant.
{uupsi,ccicpg}!cci632!tvf@uunet.uu.net       |  One time I saw an elephant in

dag@tc.fluke.COM (David Gunderson) (04/04/91)

The DIF technical Specification is available from:

	DIF Clearinghouse
	P.O. Box 638
	Newton Lower Falls, MA 02162

--David Gunderson