[alt.msdos.programmer] Windows USELESS with MSDOS 5.0!!!

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/14/91)

Now that I've got your attention, the problem is that Windows cannot
find any of my non MS programs when I attempt to invoke them via the
program manager. I've spent some time trying to get hold of MS to ask
about this, but I can't get through and the $$$ are adding up.  All of
these programs start properly under PCDOS 3.3. Is it possible that MS
didn't test dos 5.0 with windows?!!!
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

wmah@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Wayne Mah) (06/25/91)

laughner@darwin.cc.nd.edu (Tom Laughner) writes:

> Windows MSDOS 5.0
>
> In article <1991Jun13.235553.24042@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feus
> >Now that I've got your attention, the problem is that Windows cannot
> >find any of my non MS programs when I attempt to invoke them via the
> >program manager. I've spent some time trying to get hold of MS to ask
> >about this, but I can't get through and the $$$ are adding up.  All of
> >these programs start properly under PCDOS 3.3. Is it possible that MS
> >didn't test dos 5.0 with windows?!!!
> >--
> I've been using DOS 5.0 with Windows 3.0 along with DOS apps and
>
> **having views on these things, anyway.
>

> :Jim Mann                                      jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.co
> :Stratus Computer
> :
> :   Not since Cromwell's troops, their puritan sensibilities offended by beau
> :   went around smashing decorative art in churches has there been an act
> :   of folly  comparable  to the abandonment and destruction of Forbes Field,
> :   the Pirates' home for generations.
> :                --  George F. Will, from Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball
>

> --
>
> Dan S.
>

>   Faith Brown (comedienne), Nicholas Courtney, Bob

Some of the older programs may not recognize DOS 5.0 and refuse
to run because when they execute they could be checking for the
DOS version.  Try putting device=c:\dos\setver.exe in your
config.sys and see if that works any better.  I just installed
my copy of DOS 5.0 two days ago and haven
't run into any problems yet with it.  Of course, that doesn't
help you, but at least you know it can be done.

Wayne Mah              wmah@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

jesse@gumby.Altos.COM (Jesse Chisholm AAC-RjesseD) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun13.235553.24042@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>Now that I've got your attention, the problem is that Windows cannot
>find any of my non MS programs when I attempt to invoke them via the
>program manager. I've spent some time trying to get hold of MS to ask
>about this, but I can't get through and the $$$ are adding up.  All of
>these programs start properly under PCDOS 3.3. Is it possible that MS
>didn't test dos 5.0 with windows?!!!

I, also, am using MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.0.  To run a DOS app, create
a PIF file for it and then use it.  There should be no problem.
If the application does some strange things with memory, then Windows
may kill it off, but most run just fine.

--
|| Jesse Chisholm                | 137 East Fremont Avenue, #49 ||
|| jesse@Altos86.Altos.COM       | Sunnyvale, California        ||