[alt.msdos.programmer] Turbo C++ Release 2??

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (06/17/91)

I was through a software store today, and found Turbo C++ on sale.
There were 2 versions... the old, fat box and a smaller box labelled
"2nd Release" (might have been "2nd Edition" or such).  I asked the
sales guy what the difference was, and he wasn't sure, so he opened both
packages.

The documentation for the second release package is _much_ skimpier!
The introductory manual and library manual are missing, and the other 2
manuals are noticibly smaller than their first-release counterparts.
The package also says "includes FREE Turbo C" (emphasis theirs).  But it
appears that they're referring to the ANSI C compiler that's already in
TC++.

I know there are some documented bugs in the first release of TC++.
These 2 packages have me confused.  Is it the _same_ compiler in both
editions?  I would prefer to get the documentation from the first
edition, so can I get patches from Borland to fix the first compiler? Or
can I upgrade for free? (both packages are exactly the same price)

If you post, please Cc: me in e-mail.  This site has a very short expire
time.  Thanks!
--
Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
  perl -e '$x = 1/20; print "Just my \$$x! (adjusted for inflation)\n"'

tannerr@prism.cs.orst.edu (Ryan Tanner) (06/27/91)

In <smZN41w164w@cybrspc> roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

>I was through a software store today, and found Turbo C++ on sale.
>There were 2 versions... the old, fat box and a smaller box labelled
>"2nd Release" (might have been "2nd Edition" or such).  I asked the
>sales guy what the difference was, and he wasn't sure, so he opened both
>packages.

>The documentation for the second release package is _much_ skimpier!
>The introductory manual and library manual are missing, and the other 2
>manuals are noticibly smaller than their first-release counterparts.
>The package also says "includes FREE Turbo C" (emphasis theirs).  But it
>appears that they're referring to the ANSI C compiler that's already in
>TC++.

>I know there are some documented bugs in the first release of TC++.
>These 2 packages have me confused.  Is it the _same_ compiler in both
>editions?  I would prefer to get the documentation from the first
>edition, so can I get patches from Borland to fix the first compiler? Or
>can I upgrade for free? (both packages are exactly the same price)

>If you post, please Cc: me in e-mail.  This site has a very short expire
>time.  Thanks!
>--
>Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
>  perl -e '$x = 1/20; print "Just my \$$x! (adjusted for inflation)\n"'
>        "What do you mean, you've never been to Alpha Centauri?"
>                                               -- Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

I just contacted Borland about getting the newest bug fix for TC++.  I
have the first edition (fat box).  The operator, a nice French man,
said that they would ship me the TC++ 2nd edition diskettes free.
This is especially nice because it is sent via 2nd day air.  According to
the operator, the 2nd editon is a maintenance release of the 1st editon,
but with less documentation.  All I had to do was provide the serial number
from my source disks, and my name and address.  No hassel!

It really is too bad that Borland has cut down on the documentation provided
in this new edition.  Imagine not having a Library Reference!  This book
alone is over 600 pages long in the 1st.  I use it all the time.  If I
were going to buy TC++ now, I'd find a store that still has the first
edition on sale, and call Borland for the free upgrade.
You'll be glad you did.

Ryan (tannerr@prism.cs.orst.edu)