[comp.realtime] fast storage?

dove@rocket.UUCP (Webster Dove) (05/10/89)

Is there any faster large capacity storage that a Fujitsu 2380A
parallel head 1Gbyte disk (15 Mbyte/sec) that could be used to store
strictly sequential data?

I am hoping for a moderately priced tape drive that I can easily
interface to double-high VME.
--
		Dr. Webster Dove
		Computing Systems and Architectures

schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) (05/11/89)

In article <DOVE.89May10131213@rocket.UUCP> dove@rocket.UUCP (Webster Dove) writes:
>Is there any faster large capacity storage that a Fujitsu 2380A
>parallel head 1Gbyte disk (15 Mbyte/sec) that could be used to store
>strictly sequential data?

A moderately priced disk drive maybe.  Pretty high speed for tape.
Anyway, I suggest that you contact some major image processing
companies.  The latest thing at the last trade show I was at was high
performance disk drives with total capacity in the GB+ range.  Data
rates start at 10 MBytes/sec for about $25,000 depending on capacity.

Be aware that image processing syste may impose format constraints on
the data that may be unacceptable in you application.  For example a
standard image size is 0.25 MB which tends to be the storage size as
well.

Vendors that I can think of off the top of my head are Datacube,
Vicom, Recognition Concepts, Inc., and Imaging Technology Inc.

--
 john c. schultz   schultz@3M.Com   ..!uiucuxc!mmm!schultz  (612) 733-4047
           3M Center, Bldg 518-1-1, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000

bart@videovax.tv.Tek.com (Bart Massey) (05/13/89)

In article <1264@mmm.UUCP> schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) writes:
*> In article <DOVE.89May10131213@rocket.UUCP> dove@rocket.UUCP (Webster Dove) writes:
*> >Is there any faster large capacity storage that a Fujitsu 2380A
*> >parallel head 1Gbyte disk (15 Mbyte/sec) that could be used to store
*> >strictly sequential data?
*>
*> A moderately priced disk drive maybe.  Pretty high speed for tape.

This sounds like a made-to-order application for disk-striping.  Should you
be considering 10 100M drives?  The most recent Usenix proceedings have
some interesting articles on disk farms for UNIX systems...

					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!videovax.tek.com!bart
					..tektronix!reed.bitnet!bart

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (05/14/89)

In article <5427@videovax.tv.Tek.com> bart@videovax.tv.tek.com (Bart Massey) writes:
>In article <1264@mmm.UUCP> schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) writes:
>*> In article <DOVE.89May10131213@rocket.UUCP> dove@rocket.UUCP (Webster Dove) writes:
>*> >Is there any faster large capacity storage that a Fujitsu 2380A
>*> >parallel head 1Gbyte disk (15 Mbyte/sec) that could be used to store
>*> >strictly sequential data?
>*>
>*> A moderately priced disk drive maybe.  Pretty high speed for tape.
>
>This sounds like a made-to-order application for disk-striping.  Should you
>be considering 10 100M drives?  The most recent Usenix proceedings have
>some interesting articles on disk farms for UNIX systems...

It's all tradeoffs by cost, (custom or otherwise), and requirements.
There is the Cray SSD with GB/second transfers (and you get random access)
and GW capacity, but it's no micro.  And there is the TMC Data Vault.
If you have to ask the price, you can't afford.

Longish signature follows "Type 'n' now"

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

warn@druhi.ATT.COM (WarnerD) (05/16/89)

In article <3615@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>In article <5427@videovax.tv.Tek.com> bart@videovax.tv.tek.com (Bart Massey) writes:
>>In article <1264@mmm.UUCP> schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) writes:
>>*> In article <DOVE.89May10131213@rocket.UUCP> dove@rocket.UUCP (Webster Dove) writes:
>>*> >Is there any faster large capacity storage that a Fujitsu 2380A
>>*> >parallel head 1Gbyte disk (15 Mbyte/sec) that could be used to store
>>*> >strictly sequential data?
>>*>
>>*> A moderately priced disk drive maybe.  Pretty high speed for tape.
>>
>>This sounds like a made-to-order application for disk-striping.  Should you
>>be considering 10 100M drives?  The most recent Usenix proceedings have
>>some interesting articles on disk farms for UNIX systems...
>
>It's all tradeoffs by cost, (custom or otherwise), and requirements.
>There is the Cray SSD with GB/second transfers (and you get random access)
>and GW capacity, but it's no micro.  And there is the TMC Data Vault.
>If you have to ask the price, you can't afford.
>
>Longish signature follows "Type 'n' now"
>
>Another gross generalization from
>
>--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
>  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
>  "You trust the `reply' command with all those different mailers out there?"
>  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
>  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
>  				Live free or die.

In a recent past life I was manager of software development for Seagate
Technology's now deceased but possibly reincarnated (as Array Technology Corp.) disk array project located in Boulder, CO.  We developed a prototype that was
privately shown in a suite at Fall '88 Comdex.  As a result, I'm partial
to array architectures as a solution to high capacity, high reliability,
high bandwidth, low cost storage.  There are advantages inherent in
arrays over single spindle PTD's such as Fuji or Ibis drives.

This isn't a commercial (since the product is not now, and quite likely
never will be sold - too bad!) but a brief description of the Seagate
array's capabilities might be in order as a basis for comparison, etc.

	- up to 30GB in 3 19" racks; could be shrunk, "only" packaging

	- up to 30MB/sec net transfer rate to/from host - not many hosts
	  can handle that but the array WON'T be the bottleneck

	- some awfully large MTBDL numbers (>1,000,000 hrs) given usual
	  individual drive failure rates, the usual replacement assumptions,
	  etc.

	- a cold sparing feature which, when combined with the two drive
	  error correction, would allow three drives to fail before any
	  data was inaccessible

	- a very flexible set of configuration options, i.e. virtual volume
	  capacities, high transaction or high bandwidth mode, maintenance
	  activities, usage statistics, etc.

	- approx. $7-$9/MB net "plug it into your system" cost - VME i/f
	  was built but HyperChannel, HSC, ,IPI-3, FDDI things, etc were being
	  investigated.

I could go on for $'s and $'s on this topic, but ...  I'd enjoy corresponding
on this subject if anyone would care to.

lex@NRC.COM (Lex Mierop) (05/16/89)

In article <DOVE.89May10131213@rocket.UUCP> dove@rocket.UUCP (Webster Dove) writes:
>Is there any faster large capacity storage that a Fujitsu 2380A
>parallel head 1Gbyte disk (15 Mbyte/sec) that could be used to store
>strictly sequential data?

I believe Ibis Systems, Westlake CA may have an answer for you.
2+Gbyte, 24Mbyte/sec with a 6U VME interface board.

Disclaimer: You didn't here it from me.
--
Lex Mierop - Network Research	|	#include <cute_quote.h>
Internet/uucp: lex@aztec.nrc.com|