[comp.realtime] Recommendations for remote debugger and monitor for 80x86

jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) (05/01/89)

I am looking to start work on an embedded system application.  Rather than
use in circuit emulation I want to try remote debugging using a resident
monitor in the target hardware.  I will be working with 80286 systems.

Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  So far I have
seen ads for a few packages available from: Systems & Software, Datalight,
and First Systems Corporation.

One main requirement is that hooks are provided so that I can substitute my
own communications protocol between the remote debugger and the resident
monitor.  The ones I've seen all use serial channel communications.  This
will just not cut it for me for a number of reasons.

Thanks for any information.

Jim Vallino	Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton, NJ
jrv@demon.siemens.com
princeton!siemens!demon!jrv
(609) 734-3331

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (05/06/89)

In article <8544@siemens.siemens.com> jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) writes:
>I am looking to start work on an embedded system application.  Rather than
>use in circuit emulation I want to try remote debugging using a resident
>monitor in the target hardware.  I will be working with 80286 systems.

	The obvious answer: you want Forth, the embedded systems
programming language/op system/monitor with "live feedback". Check
out the Laboratory Microsystems and Harvard Softworks offerings of target
compilers and resident systems.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}                                                                        {}
{} jax@well     ." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"      FIG      {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 3/12/2400 8-n-1 24 hrs."     Chapter    {}
{} JAX on GEnie       ." Tell them JAX sent you!"             Coordinator {}
{}                                                                        {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

apn@Apple.COM (Alex Novickis) (05/17/89)

In article <8544@siemens.siemens.com> jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) writes:

>Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  So far I have
>seen ads for a few packages available from: Systems & Software, Datalight,
>and First Systems Corporation.
>
>One main requirement is that hooks are provided so that I can substitute my
>own communications protocol between the remote debugger and the resident
>monitor.  The ones I've seen all use serial channel communications.  This
>will just not cut it for me for a number of reasons.

I have used Systems&Software softprobe remote debugger, and although they
give you the source for the targets' rom code, the communication code
is not available for the host system.... well maybe for a price, I never asked.
I have however patched their software to use 57.6K baud successfully

-alex p novickis
Alex P. Novickis, Real Time systems demi-guru.  (W)   408-370-4541
ALINK:alex.n                                    (PAGE)    289-6678
UUCP:{amdahl,claris,pyramid,sun,decwrl,well,ubvax,ames}!apn@apple.com,apn@nonvon
"I think... I think it's in my basement. Let me go upstairs and check"-Escher.

scotth@grebyn.COM (Scott Hutchinson) (05/17/89)

In article <30885@apple.Apple.COM> apn@Apple.COM (Alex Novickis) writes:
>In article <8544@siemens.siemens.com> jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) writes:
>>
>>seen ads for a few packages available from: Systems & Software, Datalight,
>>and First Systems Corporation.

	Have you tried the Turbo debugger from borland?  they do a
pretty good job with remote debugging.

						-Scott

Standard Disclamers:  These opinions are mine, they do not reflect on my
                      Company at all.
I can be reached at scotth@grebyn.com or scotth@grebyn.uucp