[comp.realtime] Need TCP/IP to run under PSOS

adoyle@bbn.com (Allan Doyle) (06/30/89)

I'm looking for an implementation of TCP/IP that I can run on a Motorola
MVME-147 board under pSOS.

The MVME 147 has the LANCE chipset, and a 68030 CPU. pSOS is a real-time
kernel. Any code that I can bash into submission is welcome. It does
not have to fit the 147 board and pSOS like a glove but the closer the
better :-)

Allan Doyle                                              adoyle@bbn.com
BBN Systems and Technologies Corporation		 (617) 873-3398
70 Fawcett Street,   Cambridge, MA 02138

biocca@swr (Alan Biocca) (07/01/89)

In article <42213@bbn.COM> adoyle@BBN.COM (Allan Doyle) writes:
>I'm looking for an implementation of TCP/IP that I can run on a Motorola
>MVME-147 board under pSOS.

>The MVME 147 has the LANCE chipset, and a 68030 CPU. pSOS is a real-time
>kernel. Any code that I can bash into submission is welcome. It does
>not have to fit the 147 board and pSOS like a glove but the closer the
>better :-)

Two possibilities -- vxWorks and hacking unix drivers.

The easy way -- buy it.  vxWorks from Wind River Systems.
vxWorks will support pSOS and has TCP/IP support and runs on the mv147.
Turnkey.  RPC, NFS, ftp, rsh, telnet, etc.  ready and waiting.  I've done
it the hard way (kernel and driver and ...) and it pretty much killed a
100K$ project because it cost too much to get everything working.  vxWorks
is a bargain.

The hard way -- get a unix driver for the ethernet interface.  Then hack
to fit (man weeks..months..year?).  This was done here at LBL.  We weren't
using the mv147 at the time, but were using a CMC board and the unix driver
could be made to work with pSOS pretty well.  One group here at LBL had it
working in production with quite a few systems online.  They have recently
decided the cost of maintaining this kludge to be excessive (they'd like to
take advantage of new boards easily instead of having to face redoing the
stuff every time).

The CMC board was probably easier than the 147 will be since 1) it had TCP/IP
in prom onboard, and 2) unix drivers were available from CMC.  I suspect
that motorola doesn't have unix drivers available for the 147, but if they
do that is a good place to start.  If the drivers don't include the TCP layers
then BSD 4.3 TPC/IP is probably the thing to add.  vxWorks uses it.

I have no direct affiliation with Wind River Systems, the company that
produces vxWorks, but am a user and have been involved with several projects
using their product.  It is, like any real product, not perfect.  It provides
tremendous advantages over other methods for many projects and so is worth
consideration.  It has been justified enough here at LBL to go to the
significant trouble it takes to obtain a site license. Your mileage may differ.

	Alan K Biocca