[comp.realtime] TRON

jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) (06/14/89)

This is a request for opinions (and an offer of information)
about the Japanese TRON project. As a consultant to
Nippon Telegraph and Telephone for their
work on CTRON (a TRON subproject), I seem to be one of very
few Westerners involved with TRON. Some time ago, in answer
to a question that appeared in comp.arch, I posted some basic
information about TRON. As far as I know, there has been *NO*
further discussion of TRON anywhere on the net. Why not?

For a quick summary, TRON is a project started by Dr. Ken Sakamura
at the U. of Tokyo in 1985, and now being carried on in Japan
by an industrial consortium of over 100 companies.  NTT alone
has *hundreds* of people working on it.  Most major Japanese computer
companies and Japanese branches of American companies (IBM, HP, etc)
are members.  Unlike some other Japanese initiatives it is *not*
government-sponsored.

The goal of TRON is to develop a wide-ranging collection of standards
for use in a very comprehensive distributed network -- one which is
globally connected but involves everything from large hosts to
workstations to a multitude of embedded processors in "intelligent
objects" such as the components of a "smart house."  In the TRON
vision, all of these elements could easily communicate, even though
produced by many different manufacturers.

One of the TRON project achievements to date is a standard 32-bit
microprocessor architecture which has been implemented by Hitachi,
Fujitsu, Toshiba, Oki, and others.  Other projects which are
already leading to significant products include a new workstation
user interface standard (BTRON) and an operating system interface
for small realtime systems (ITRON).  The CTRON project, which I
work on, is developing a comprehensivre operating system interface
standard for larger systems with realtime performance requirements
such as network servers.

Whether the TRON standards are good or bad, the project's scale, and
results to date, make it certain that it will have some impact.
Good descriptions of TRON have appeared in special issues of
IEEE MICRO (April 87, April 88) and in BYTE (April 89).  Yet
there seems to be little interest in TRON outside Japan,
at least in the U.S. Now the British Journal Microprocessors and
Microsystems also plans a special issue, and I have been asked to
contribute a short article giving a Western viewpoint
on TRON. What I still don't understand is:

*WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*

I do have some theories.  Which one do you think is right?

1. It's a Japanese project, not relevant outside Japan.

	(It is wholly Japanese now, but the industry participation
	is comprehensive, association membership is open,
	nothing is proprietary, and international participation
	has been encouraged for some time.)

2. It's not needed; there are enough standards.

	(The areas addressed by many of the TRON projects,
	 especially realtime systems, have no current standards,
	not even de facto ones.)

3.  Only single-company de facto standards (like IBM) are practical.
    Companies won't cooperate.

	(Over a hundred companies in the TRON assoication do not
	agree.  Several versions of the TRON CPU chip, developed
	independently but conforming to the standard, are now on
	the market.  U.S. projects like POSIX and the Open Software
	Foundation show increased concern for open, industry-sponsored
	standards.)

4.  It's interesting, but will have no effect on me.

	(Who among us will not participate in more and more large
	scale (and small scale) networking?  Does it matter what the
	interfaces (of all kinds) are, and what hardware and software
	can easily connect?)

5. There's plenty of discussion of TRON outside Japan; you just have
   missed it all.

	(Please point me in the right direction.)

6. Other?

I welcome all opinions, discussion, or questions.  I hope I
have posted this to the most appropriate newsgroups.  If there
is any interest, I will be glad to post or mail further information
about TRON, and/or summaries of any comments received.  Thanks.

Jim Mooney				Dept. of Stat. & Computer Science
(304) 293-3607				West Virginia University
					Morgantown, WV 26506
INTERNET: jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
Jim Mooney				Dept. of Stat. & Computer Science
(304) 293-3607				West Virginia University
					Morgantown, WV 26506
INTERNET: jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (06/14/89)

[]
>In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:
>
>This is a request for opinions (and an offer of information)
>about the Japanese TRON project.
>One of the TRON project achievements to date is a standard 32-bit
>microprocessor architecture which has been implemented by Hitachi,
>Fujitsu, Toshiba, Oki, and others.

How about because the TRON hardware architecture is a really ugly
CISC architecture which looks worse to build in hardware than the
only somewhat ugly CISCs we already have to deal with.

--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (06/15/89)

In article <32424@apple.Apple.COM> baum@apple.UUCP (Allen Baum) writes:
>[]
>>In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:
>>
>>This is a request for opinions (and an offer of information)
>How about because the TRON hardware architecture is a really ugly
>CISC architecture which looks worse to build in hardware than the
>only somewhat ugly CISCs we already have to deal with.

The same can also sort of be said about the OS.  I have attended
two IEEE COMPCON sessions and have scanned the Proceedings as well.

There are too many newsgroups on this, so I'm only following up to os.misc.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

kevin@LOGICON.ARPA (Kevin McIntyre) (06/15/89)

In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:

>This is a request for opinions (and an offer of information)
>about the Japanese TRON project. As a consultant to
>Nippon Telegraph and Telephone for their
>work on CTRON (a TRON subproject), I seem to be one of very

My personal opinion is that it is viewed as a way for Japan to
"infiltrate" a portion of the US computer market and then take
it over.  It's sort of like the
car market.  They learn from the US on how to do something and
then they out do us in the market place.  I don't think that
the US computer companies want Japan to come up with a better
way to do something and then open the doors for them to get into
the US market (sort of handing the lynchman the rope to hang you).

Of course you could argue that this would "stimulate" the US intellects
to do a better job (as in the auto world).

                                I don't knoooooow?
					Kevin.

internet: kevin@logicon.arpa
uucp: nosc!logicon.arpa!kevin

Of course these are my ideas, no one else can speel this bad.

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (06/15/89)

In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:
>*WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*
>
>I do have some theories.  Which one do you think is right?
>
>1. It's a Japanese project, not relevant outside Japan.

It would not surprise me if this is a factor, but I've developed very
conflicting impressions of TRON from reading articles in the Nihon
keizai shinbun. Some articles have made it out as a UNIX-killer.
Everything you always wanted from UNIX plus realtime plus kanji. Others
have left me with the impression that it was little more than a knock
off on UNIX, designed to get around the charges that accepting UNIX in
Japan would be bowing to American software imperialism. Other articles
have left me with the impession that it was nothing more than glorified
MSX.

NOTE: These impressions comes from the Japanese language press.

>have posted this to the most appropriate newsgroups.  If there
>is any interest, I will be glad to post or mail further information
>about TRON, and/or summaries of any comments received.  Thanks.

I'd be interested in any English or Japanese materials you have on the
subject.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
ehkinmonth@ucdavis

In article <456@logicon.arpa> kevin@LOGICON.ARPA (Kevin McIntyre) writes:
>In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:

>My personal opinion is that it is viewed as a way for Japan to
>"infiltrate" a portion of the US computer market and then take it over.

Yellow peril in computing, eh what?  I've read a fair sprinkling of
articles about TRON in Japanese.  I've never seen your notion expressed,
but there is a Japanese fear of being subject to what some have called
"US software imperialism."

>It's sort of like the car market. They learn from the US on how to do
>something and then they out do us in the market place. I don't think

The Japanese automobile industry drew on various sources: domestic,
American, European. Overall, they probably learned more from Europe
than the US. Look at the early Japanese models. You see far more
European and Japanese engineering than you do GM Rocket 88 Dynaflow
super V8, 4 mpg, design.

>that the US computer companies want Japan to come up with a better way
>to do something and then open the doors for them to get into the US
>market (sort of handing the lynchman the rope to hang you).

To change metaphors a bit -- if you sit around jerking off and your
competition spends their time pumping iron, guess who ends up with
the muscles?

>Of course you could argue that this would "stimulate" the US intellects
>to do a better job (as in the auto world).

Or to raise prices under a quota system.

>Of course these are my ideas, no one else can speel this bad.

Let's hope not.

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (06/15/89)

From article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, by jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney):

> *WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*
>
> I do have some theories.  Which one do you think is right?
>
> 1. It's a Japanese project, not relevant outside Japan.

	With this (as well as other "foreign processors")
	we can see old words:

	"It's outside US, it threatens us"

	or

	"It's outside US, it's not serious, propably some student
	 project"

	We saw ARM dropped out from RISC list, although it's
	first commercial RISC.

	TRON is forgotten.

	Have you heard about Philips 68070, or Hitachi H-series?

	Is transputer known to You?

--
pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject

hankd@pur-ee.UUCP (Hank Dietz) (06/15/89)

>From article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, by jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney):
> *WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*

I've said this privately...  what the heck, I'll say it in
public 8-).  The Japanese blew most of their credibility in
this field with the Fifth Generation campaign; most of us took
that very seriously and then found very little significant in
it.  TRON seems to be much the same -- we hear lots of vague
hints of greatness and then see nothing much of worth.  There
is also the fact that US participation isn't welcome in the
developement phase....

					-hankd@ee.ecn.purdue.edu

In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:
> *WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*

> I do have some theories.  Which one do you think is right?

> 1. It's a Japanese project, not relevant outside Japan.

I think that's a relevant factor, but it's not the whole story by any means.

Japan Incs "we will bury you" attitude with the 5th generation project really
doesn't help any, either.

> 2. It's not needed; there are enough standards.

That depends on the area. I think people in the US *are* getting tired of
standards... there are so many of them. Maybe there's a bit of baby-and-
bathwater stuff going on here. But just a bit.

> 3.  Only single-company de facto standards (like IBM) are practical.
>     Companies won't cooperate.

This is a good point. Not only don't companies tend to co-operate, but
in the US there are laws that restrict companies from co-operating.

> 4.  It's interesting, but will have no effect on me.

this is basically a corrolary to #1 and #2.

> 5. There's plenty of discussion of TRON outside Japan; you just have
>    missed it all.

:->

> 6. Other?

For me, here's the main reason: it completely ignores the standards work that
*has* been going on in the US. Basically, no part of TRON is based in any way
on the UNIX system call interface. What I've heard of it bears a strong
resemblance to the messed-up massive-shared-library interfaces common to
both '60s operating systems and (more recently) things like OS/2 and X. And,
at least in the US, it doesn't have either a 500-pound-gorilla (IBM) or the
virtue of public domain status (thanks to the X consortium) behind it.

Speaking of design-by-comittee: what's the status of ADA in Japan?

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (06/15/89)

In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:
| Whether the TRON standards are good or bad, the project's scale, and
| results to date, make it certain that it will have some impact.
| *WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*
|
| I do have some theories.  Which one do you think is right?
|
| 1. It's a Japanese project, not relevant outside Japan.
Bingo. There's a lot of shortsightedness, NIH syndrome, and similar stuff
around.
| 2. It's not needed; there are enough standards.
Possibly.
| 3.  Only single-company de facto standards (like IBM) are practical.
I doubt this is a biggie.
| 4.  It's interesting, but will have no effect on me.
Bingo again. Japanese project, Japanese standard.

Part of it is, I believe, frustration and fear of the Japanese, and
lack of any clear idea how to deal with them. SO, in typical US fashion,
we ignore it and hope it goes away.

But also, there has not been very much press coverage, or professional
group attention turned towards it. I suspect most of us don't really
even know what all it covers. I certainly don't. Throw in that with the
fact that we are standardizing on UNIX (the ultimate real-time system
(haha)) and a handful of microprocessors, and most people see no need,
no interest, no threat.

SO, educate us. What are the high points, the low points, and such,
from your vantage point?

-Miles

weh@sei.cmu.edu (Bill Hefley) (06/15/89)

In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:

>This is a request for opinions (and an offer of information)
>about the Japanese TRON project. As a consultant to
>Nippon Telegraph and Telephone for their
>work on CTRON (a TRON subproject), I seem to be one of very
>few Westerners involved with TRON. Some time ago, in answer
>to a question that appeared in comp.arch, I posted some basic
>information about TRON. As far as I know, there has been *NO*
>further discussion of TRON anywhere on the net. Why not?

I, for one, have been interested in what was happening with this effort,
especially BTRON because of my background in designing computer-human
interfaces for large-scale (near-) real-time systems.  But, other than the
minimal articles that you've mentioned, I've seen very little in the way of
papers presented or short news articles in the appropriate trade press.
I've seen little in the way of announcing the means for participation or
obtaining these "standards" that were mentioned.  This is often true of many
standards efforts, especially volunteer efforts, but until people find out
more about the efforts, interest will continue to be low, I would expect.

In many ways, this is the classical chicken and egg technology transfer
problem.

   ____    ______   _____      _____=====        Bill Hefley
  / __ \  | _____| |_   _|   _____=========	 Software Engrg Institute
 _\___ \  |  __|     | | _____=================  Pittsburgh, PA 15213
 | |__| | | |____   _| |_  _____=============	 (412) 268-7793
  \____/  |______| |_____|   _____=========	 ARPA:   weh@sei.cmu.edu
			       -----=====        BITNET: weh%sei.cmu.edu
                                                 CSNET:  weh%sei.cmu.edu@
                                                         relay.cs.net
 C a r n e g i e   M e l l o n  U n i v e r s i t y

+---------------------------- Disclaimer -------------------------------+
|  The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                        those of my employer.                          |

pms@vicorp.UUCP (Peter Shirley) (06/16/89)

Well, I haven't been discussing TRON because this is the first I've heard of
it.  I'm interested, particularly in what commercial applications we're likely
to see first in the US (since I'm less likely to be able to see and try things
that exist only in other countries), and also in what neat new stuff the TRON
project is doing.  It sounds like the project is far too big for anything more
than a brief overview in this newsgroup, but could you direct me (and others)
to a source (or sources) of detailed information about TRON, both in terms of
its objectives (which I'm sure I can glean from the magazine articles) and its
current (and ongoing) status?

	-Peter

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (06/16/89)

In article <5117@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:
>| 1. It's a Japanese project, not relevant outside Japan.
>Bingo. There's a lot of shortsightedness, NIH syndrome, and similar stuff
>around.
>| 2. It's not needed; there are enough standards.
>Possibly.
>| 3.  Only single-company de facto standards (like IBM) are practical.
>I doubt this is a biggie.
>| 4.  It's interesting, but will have no effect on me.
>Bingo again. Japanese project, Japanese standard.
>
>Part of it is, I believe, frustration and fear of the Japanese, and
>lack of any clear idea how to deal with them. SO, in typical US fashion,
>we ignore it and hope it goes away.
>
>But also, there has not been very much press coverage, or professional
>group attention turned towards it. I suspect most of us don't really
>even know what all it covers. I certainly don't. Throw in that with the
>fact that we are standardizing on UNIX (the ultimate real-time system
>(haha)) and a handful of microprocessors, and most people see no need,
>no interest, no threat.
>
>SO, educate us. What are the high points, the low points, and such,
>from your vantage point?

Go find the last two years IEEE COMPCON proceedings.  Each has had
an entire session on TRON.  There are also the occasional articles
in IEEE Computer.  More details than can be posted.

You should be aware that the Usenet is being read in Japan.
It's readership is impressive and growing.  I had this made clear to
me in recent meetings.  Theirs is a culture which takes a much
different view to electronic mail and news than we do.  You will not
see many postings because to express one's opinion means to carry
great weight (unlike here).  So if you (general readership) care to insult
them, they will read it.  You will just be ignored as a crank.

I think some grave mistakes (or absolutely brilliant, but off the wall
decisions) in choice were made.  I follow the TRs and TNs
which come from places like ICOT, various companies, etc. So you see
this note "tips my hand."  Like the early selection of IBM compatable
supercomputers is one decision [long before the 3090 mainframe line].
This goes for so-called new-generation machines (a physicist here
believes the NeXT is the first real 5th gen. machine).  Prolog engines,
inference machines, etc.  Different choices.  It permeates decisions
in areas like software or architectures.  It is interesting to compare
my non-disclosure 1990-notes of 1984 to the latest architectures from
the one particular conglomerate.  Plans have clearly changed.  Workstations
and Unix are coming in.  Watch for hypercubes or Connection Machine-like
architectures.  If one appears, our "lead" will diminish even more.

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (06/16/89)

In article <4567@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:
>> *WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*
>
>> I do have some theories.  Which one do you think is right?
>
>> 1. It's a Japanese project, not relevant outside Japan.
>
>I think that's a relevant factor, but it's not the whole story by any means.
>
>Japan Incs "we will bury you" attitude with the 5th generation project really
>doesn't help any, either.

The "we will bury you" attitude, if it ever existed, was a figment of
Feigenbaum's (or that air-head female collaborator's) imagination. The
Japanese are hardly above criticism, but they don't deserve to be
blamed for the machinations of an academic scam artist like Feigenbaum.

>> 2. It's not needed; there are enough standards.
>
>That depends on the area. I think people in the US *are* getting tired of
>standards... there are so many of them. Maybe there's a bit of baby-and-
>bathwater stuff going on here. But just a bit.

Maybe the hackers and the adepts are getting tired of standards because
standards decrease the demand for the services of high priced anal
retentives who get off on knowing the arbitrary and often assine
distinctions between various systems, releases, etc. I've not seen any
evidence that ordinary users or corporate purchasers are tired of
standards.

>> 3.  Only single-company de facto standards (like IBM) are practical.
>>     Companies won't cooperate.
>
>This is a good point. Not only don't companies tend to co-operate, but
>in the US there are laws that restrict companies from co-operating.

Apparently you haven't been reading either the (computer) trade papers
or such general items as the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times,
etc. As part of an attempt to meet Japanese competition (real or
imagined) by using Japanese techniques (real or imagined), the
RayGun/Bush administrations and the Justice Department have been
encouraging "corporate research cooperation" by a variety of means:
interpretation of anti-trust laws, specific legislation, subsidies,
etc.

The historical fact that ~American~ companies have not chosen to
cooperate on basic research does not in and of itself determine what is
efficient, morally correct, or whatever. For better or worse, the day
when American patterns would be assumed to be best is rapidly waning.
(This is not to say that Japanese patterns are better. Rather, there
are more heavy weights in the ring today than there were a couple of
decades ago. US firms cannot assume that American ways are
automatically the best the way they could and did through most of the
post world war II period.)

>> 4.  It's interesting, but will have no effect on me.

This sounds rather like Detroit's observations concerning Japanese
automobile engineering in the 1960s. It would be naive to assume that
history will repeat itself in computing; it would be equally navie to
assume that it will not.

>For me, here's the main reason: it completely ignores the standards
>work that *has* been going on in the US. Basically, no part of TRON is
>based in any way on the UNIX system call interface. What I've heard of
>it bears a strong resemblance to the messed-up massive-shared-library
>interfaces common to both '60s operating systems and (more recently)
>things like OS/2 and X. And, at least in the US, it doesn't have either
>a 500-pound-gorilla (IBM) or the virtue of public domain status (thanks
>to the X consortium) behind it.

Here, I think you're on reasonably solid ground, but I'm not sure this
is the basis for writing off Japanese efforts. Although my period of
specialization is Japanese history of the 1930s and 1940s, I've read
enough of the 1950s and 1960s to have some sense of how Japanese firms
have operated. Following obsolete or unproductive American || European
lines has actually been fairly common in industries that later became
successful. To a degree Japanese firms seem to learn from this process
or are driven to make breakthroughs by the frustation of trying to
develop what they thought were good (foreign) ideas.

False starts, dead ends, and general confusion have been a large part
of Japanese efforts in other areas. They may fall flat on TRON, but I
would not be banking that a failure on this project will set the
pattern for everything the Japanese do in this area.

khb@chiba.Sun.COM (chiba) (06/16/89)

In article <5117@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:

>SO, educate us. What are the high points, the low points, and such,
>from your vantage point?

The other night CNN had a 5+ minute story on TRON. They reported that the
TRONgroup (whatever it is officially called) included several European
vendors, and they went into some depth on a project to build a "smart
house" with about 10,000 microprocessors (mostly 8-bit it seemed). In
addition to the smart house, there was a smart office complex
underway.

The "big wins" from having fully enlightened and mutually comunicating
applicances was that turning up the stereo would close the windows,
turn up the air conditioning, get turned down by the phone, etc. In
addition, turning on a light would result in more air conditioning.
The guiding principal was supposed to make life better and easier;
every design decision is supposed to be made from the user perspective ...

While CNN is most certainly not the best sort of medium for a
technical exposition, it seemed that the goals (or examples thereof)
could possibly justify the expensive of the massive wiring harness
(which they showed), the decreased reliabilty (I cannot see how
connecting my toaster and microwave to my reading light can _increase_
reliability of the system) and general increase in complexity.

In addition, the stated plan was to start with a sample house and
office bldg; work up to a city (big brother watches each toliet flush,
and reacts accordingly) then to a province (chiba ?) then to all
Japan, then to all the world ....

While this is probably a good warm up for building a large
multi-generation spaceship, the vision of a vast number of Z80's
communicating with some Fifth Generation Supercomputer with the big
payoff being that my heating and airconditioning might be 5% more
efficient (somehow having a few more thermostats didn't seem to occur
to them) does not seem all that interesting.

The TRON keyboard (very post dvorak), the communication protocols, and
many of the other subprojects are probably quite interesting. But the
fundamental mindset (presumning the CNN staff was doing due dilligence
... which is admittedly uncertain) seems wrong ... having appliances
talk to each other, across the world does not automatically make sense.

I am hoping that one of you NetLanders can enlighten me ... why are
the TRONfolks working so hard ... what are the problems they are
trying to solve. Until these are clearly articulated, arguments about
how many wires are needed to build a robust applicance communications
channel seem moot.

Keith H. Bierman      |*My thoughts are my own. Only my work belongs to Sun*
It's Not My Fault     |	Marketing Technical Specialist    ! kbierman@sun.com
I Voted for Bill &    |   Languages and Performance Tools.
Opus  (* strange as it may seem, I do more engineering now     *)

exiphm@eutrc3.UUCP (h.munk) (06/16/89)

[mail] [mail] [mail]
In article <11948@pur-ee.UUCP>, hankd@pur-ee.UUCP (Hank Dietz) writes:
> >From article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, by jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney):
> > *WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*
>
> I've said this privately...  what the heck, I'll say it in
[more mail] [more mail] [more mail]

Ok, folks. Let's get back to computer architecture, please ?

charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette) (06/16/89)

In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:

> The goal of TRON is to develop a wide-ranging collection of standards
> for use in a very comprehensive distributed network -- one which is
> globally connected but involves everything from large hosts to
> workstations to a multitude of embedded processors in "intelligent
> objects" such as the components of a "smart house."  In the TRON
> vision, all of these elements could easily communicate, even though
> produced by many different manufacturers.

One aspect of this, the communications between the processors, has me
worried somewhat.  When I read some reports on TRON (which are not handy
at the moment), I noticed that the intent was for all processors on the
TRON network to have the ability to communicate. The `smartness' intended
for the TRON network could be subverted to governmental or criminal misuse
very easily. Remember, just using a credit card in stores today with card
readers could let someone (with intents other than making sure your credit
limit hasn't been exceeded) know where you are and what you're doing.

--
Mark Charette             "People only like me when I'm dumb!", he said.
Electronic Data Systems   "I like you a lot." was the reply.

In article <110573@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> khb@sun.UUCP (chiba) writes:
>In article <5117@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>>
>>SO, educate us. What are the high points, the low points, and such,
>>from your vantage point?
>>

>The other night CNN had a 5+ minute story on TRON. They reported that the

Any CNN coverage on Japan is suspect.  Not only does it suffer from the
usual American problem of illiterates (in Japanese) reporting on a
culture they know little about, there is the special problem that some
of CNN coverage on Japan is funded by Sasagawa Ryoichi, an extreme right
winger who controls betting on boat racing in Japan.

>office bldg; work up to a city (big brother watches each toliet flush,
>and reacts accordingly) then to a province (chiba ?) then to all
>Japan, then to all the world ....

This should be easy to accomplish in Japan. Microprocessor pot seats
have been big in Japan for a number of years (I kid you not). You can
easily spend $2500 on a pot. These include not just a heated seat (bun
warmer) but various scented air and water sprays. Some have sensors to
tell you your body temparature, pulse and blood pressure. (How
representative measures are when you're taking a shit is open to
question.)  I got my (Japanese) wife to test fly one set up in the
women's head of the Nada-Kobe Coop near our home.  She said there were
so many controls and options that she finished her business before she
could figure out how to programme the pot.  Once she had, she decided
she wasn't going to let a microprocessor decide what got sprayed on
her privates!

In article <25518@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
> Maybe the hackers and the adepts are getting tired of standards because
> standards decrease the demand for the services of high priced anal
> retentives who get off on knowing the arbitrary and often assine
> distinctions between various systems, releases, etc.

We're getting a bit hot under the collar here, aren't we?

I'm not talking about SysVr3.2.9u.16b-7 versus SysVr3.2.9u.27-alpha. I'm
talking about SAA versus AIX/OSF versus AT&T, or Display Postscript versus
NeWS versus X. Where you have several competing standards that aren't going
to combine into anything good.

TRON, from here, just looks like more of the same.

> I've not seen any
> evidence that ordinary users or corporate purchasers are tired of
> standards.

I don't think that ordinary users care about the technical merits of AIX
versus SysV.3.2. But they're both bases for opposing standards.

> the RayGun/Bush administrations and the Justice Department have been
> encouraging "corporate research cooperation" by a variety of means:
> interpretation of anti-trust laws, specific legislation, subsidies,
> etc.

That's nice, but the laws are still on the books. And as S&Ls are learning,
dead administrations don't keep promises very well. Now if Congress should
step in...

gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) (06/17/89)

In article <4567@ficc.uu.net> Peter da Silva wrote:
>In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, James D Mooney writes:
>
>> 3.  Only single-company de facto standards (like IBM) are practical.
>>     Companies won't cooperate.
>
>This is a good point. Not only don't companies tend to co-operate, but
>in the US there are laws that restrict companies from co-operating.

What is interesting is that US companies aren't piping this work into
their European and Canadian arms, since cooperation can take place
there.  That should side-step the American monopoly restrictions.  We
have a "Combines Act" in Canada, but that only pertains to activity in
the market; research is exempt.

However, the over-riding unwillingness to cooperate in the home office
is probably a large reason why the Allied advantage is not being taken
advantage of.

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Gary L. Dare				> gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU

jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) (06/17/89)

I got an earful.

Obviously, some people do have opinions on TRON.  I will post a summary
soon.

Some inquiries asked for more information.  I am posting an overview
of current TRON information as I know it.  I hope this answers most
questions.  This overview includes a bibliography, and I will try to
keep it up to date.

I posted the initial query to five newsgroups, but discussion probably
shouldn't continue to be duplicated on all five.  Maybe someday
there should be a TRON newsgroup.  Meanwhile I will try to confine
the discussion to comp.misc.

news@ism780c.isc.com (News system) (06/17/89)

In article <5117@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>But also, there has not been very much press coverage, or professional
>group attention turned towards it. I suspect most of us don't really
>even know what all it covers. I certainly don't. Throw in that with the
>fact that we are standardizing on UNIX (the ultimate real-time system
>(haha)) and a handful of microprocessors, and most people see no need,
>no interest, no threat.
>
>SO, educate us. What are the high points, the low points, and such,
>from your vantage point?

We are just finishing a Unix port to the H32/200 one of the chips in the
TRON family.  What I can tell you is that it is the ULTIMATE CISC machine.

Here is a single assembly source instruction:

     mov @(@(@(@(100000,r1),300000,r2),400000,r3),500000,r4),\
	 @(@(@(@(100000,r1),300000,r2),400000,r3),500000,r4)

And here is the resulting object instruction.

	 D20B 4412 0001 86A0
         4812 0004 93E0 4C12
         0006 1A80 9012 0007
         A120 8A0B 4412 0001
         86A0 4812 0004 93E0
         4C12 0006 1A80 9012
         0007 A120

This single instruction perfoms 8 memory accesses for address computation and
two more accesses to move data.  And it is possible to write an instruction
even longer than this one.  Needless to say, the compiler that I wrote does
not make use of all the possible address modes.

    Marv Rubinstein

roger@wraxall.inmos.co.uk (Roger Shepherd) (06/19/89)

In article <5117@inmos.co.uk (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:
>| *WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*
>Bingo. There's a lot of shortsightedness, NIH syndrome, and similar stuff
>around.                 =================================================
>
>                                               Throw in that with the
>fact that we are standardizing on UNIX (the ultimate real-time system
                  ======================

This reminds me of Britains big push in transportation in the 1930s.
We widened some of our canals - the Germans built the autobahns!

Roger Shepherd, INMOS Ltd   JANET:    roger@uk.co.inmos
1000 Aztec West             UUCP:     ukc!inmos!roger or uunet!inmos-c!roger
Almondsbury                 INTERNET: @col.hp.com:roger@inmos-c
+44 454 616616              ROW:      roger@inmos.co.uk

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer) (06/20/89)

From a realtime viewpoint, rather than a new realtime OS "standard", I would
like a realtime Unix standard.  That way we could have realtime and still have
the cherished (and near-standard) Unix development and execution environments.

Also, from what I read about it, Sakamura did promote TRON at first as a
"Japanese" project.  He was reported to have claimed that existing
microprocessors were inadequate for handling 16-bit character codes, which
has yet to be shown, and I believe he claimed that the project was so
integrated that the keyboard dictated certain aspects of the instruction
set design, which seems somewhat absurd.

Some of the ideas behind TRON are probably good.  However, I think TRON exists
largely because certain people in Japan realized that licenses for the emerging
32-bit CPUs of Motorola and Intel would not be forthcoming.  Considering the
reaming NEC gave Intel with the 16-bit versions, it should not have come as a
great surprise.  The RISC path is open, though.  For example, Fujitsu has
licensed SPARC, and RISCs are The Way anyway, pretty much.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"Contemptuous lights flashed across the computer's
-- karl@ficc.uu.net	 console."  -- Hitchhiker's Guide

kennel@mickey.cognet.ucla.edu (Matthew Kennel) (06/21/89)

In article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney) writes:

>[The Japanese will be taking over with TRON]
>
>*WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*
>
>I do have some theories.  Which one do you think is right?
>
>1. It's a Japanese project, not relevant outside Japan.

But it seems obvious that the Japanese will dominate this segment---why should
US concerns give them any more of a head start than they already have?
Who wants to be in the "fourth string" behind Fujitsu, NEC and Hitachi?

>6. Other?

Maybe the TRON CPU chip sucks?

>Jim Mooney				Dept. of Stat. & Computer Science
>(304) 293-3607				West Virginia University
>					Morgantown, WV 26506

Matt Kennel

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (06/21/89)

The June 89 IEEE Micro is a "special Far East issue" edited by Ken Sakamura,
with the lead articles devoted to TRON subjects.

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035
  Phone:  (415)694-6117

chimiak@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Dr. William Chimiak) (06/23/89)

Could it be that Japan hopes to develop adequate software and hardware
for a domestic market they have targetted?  Now that they have a
standard that the US cares nothing about, those machines (no matter how
inferior or superior) are national standards for a selected market.
They have a hammerlock on the their market and they still support
popular non-Japanese systems for foreign sales and have a clever
impediment to foreign sales.  In addition, if TRON meets design goals,
then they will storm foreign markets.

grunwald@Katmandu.ira.uka.de (Grunwald Betr. Tichy) (07/06/89)

I think the Japanese have seen that the Automatation of the Production is
one major goal in the near future. There is a big need for realtime
systems, which can stand the conditions at production places. But
there is also need for a good program development platform.
Unix can only serve the second goal, because it is to big to build
costcompetitive systems with it. On the other hand there are very few real-
time systems with a good programming environment (the only exception I know
is OS9/680x0).
Normally you develop under Unix and download the program, but this process is
errorprone and tedious, and you need an extra development system.
The next point is, that you have a hierarchy of computers in production
plants, from the machine motor control, up to the plant control system.
If TRON could cover all of it, it would be the system of choice, because you
have only one system, which simplifies maintenance very much.
If you think of machine motor control, the system should be realtime and
rombased, which seems impossible for UNIX. You could use embedded systems for
motor control, but at one point in the hierarchy the software cost will
raise to much and UNIX will demand a very exepensive hardware even at that
point.
To my opinion, you should forget about realtime UNIX, because UNIX can not
cover the whole terrain of Automation computing at a reasonable price.
(Using diskbased 68030 systems for the control of a single NC-Axis is not
reasonable)

The opinions expressed here in are totally mine. If I miss at some points
please correct me, but don't come with the hardware costs will diminish
sometime argument only.

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (07/06/89)

From article <32424@apple.Apple.COM>, by baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum):
> How about because the TRON hardware architecture is a really ugly
> CISC architecture which looks worse to build in hardware than the
> only somewhat ugly CISCs we already have to deal with.

Sorry, but I don't remember such terminology in Computer Science - ugly,
nice, beautiful...

More specific, please? Efficiency, performance, instruction set (oh, it's CICS,
but you probably know how WIDE this term is now, don't you), features? Is it
something like iAPX-432 (I mean - ideas)?

Thanks.

Uri.

P.S. Don't waste time flaming me - I'd rather like a technical answer.

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (07/07/89)

[various comments on the momentous significance of TRON.]

My specialty is Japanese history. I cannot claim any particular
expertise on TRON. As an historian with some interest in Japanese
science and technology, I can say Japanese are capable of matching
Americans in hyperbole and boondogles. All of the grantsmanship games
known in the US are also known in Japan and then some. TRON may be
hype. It may be substance. It may be a mix (the most probable case). In
any event, readers should not let the overall reputation of Japanese
technology determine their evaluation of TRON. Nor should they let the
TRON project director's statements influence their evaluation of the
project anymore than they would trust Bush for an objective statement
of the effectiveness of the US government!

At least one Japanese contributor has suggested that TRON was mainly a
device by Japanese micro-manufacturers to gain time until they had
something to match NEC (which holds something like ninety percent of
the Japanese PeeCee market) for schools and other government funded
applications. With twenty plus years studying Japan, six of them in
Japan, my inclination would be to believe this particular Japanese
contributor.

I've read a variety of accounts of TRON in the Japanese press
(primarily the Nihon keizai shinbun), and from this I received only one
consistent impression: even reasonably well-versed Japanese journalists
cannot figure out TRON. Sometimes it appears like a Nintendo game
machine with balls. Other times it appears like a UNIX killer (or knock
off). Some accounts have styled it a second-generation MSX system.

So far, my overall impression is that TRON is second only to the FGP
(Fifth Generation Project) in terms of hype. If Japan had a William
Proxmire, it would have received a Golden Fleece award. Nevertheless, I
am open to counter evidence presented in either English or Japanese
(any common kanji protocol or fax). If any Japanese reader feels he/she
cannot properly describe the wonders of TRON in English, I am willing
to translate any concrete statement provided it is not too long.

(Kanji transmissions should be processed with uuencode.)

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (07/07/89)

In article <226@arnor.UUCP> uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:

> From article <32424@apple.Apple.COM>, by baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum):
> > How about because the TRON hardware architecture is a really ugly
> > CISC architecture which looks worse to build in hardware than the
> > only somewhat ugly CISCs we already have to deal with.
> >
> Sorry, but I don't remember such terminology in Computer Science - ugly,
> nice, beautiful...

Strange.  I hear and use those terms all the time.  I guess that's
what I get for being a CS major at a liberal arts college.

I recommend you read "A Mathematician's Appology" by G.H. Hardy for a
"technical" definition of "ugly".

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (07/07/89)

From article <Jul.7.01.19.39.1989.7792@pilot.njin.net>, by limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli):
>> Sorry, but I don't remember such terminology in Computer Science - ugly,
>> nice, beautiful...
>
> Strange.  ...........  I guess that's
> what I get for being a CS major at a liberal arts college.
>
> I recommend you read "A Mathematician's Appology" by G.H. Hardy for a
> "technical" definition of "ugly".

Thanks, Tom. I can't help but to recommend you to read some books on CS, in
my turn. It may enrich your lexicon with some "real" technical terms - so
we'll not need to seek "technical" definition for UGLY. So be professional,
please (I mean -even more (:-) - in CS, not in liberal arts...

Uri.

In article <926@iraun1.ira.uka.de>, grunwald@Katmandu.ira.uka.de (Grunwald Betr. Tichy) writes:
> To my opinion, you should forget about realtime UNIX, because UNIX can not
> cover the whole terrain of Automation computing at a reasonable price.

That depends on what you define as UNIX. Certainly you can't cram SysV
or BSD into a microcontroller, but there are real-time systems that
implement an appropriate subset of UNIX (OS/9, for example, is a large
version of that).

There's no excuse for not making the larger components of TRON capable
of running UNIX software and supporting UNIX commands, even if the subset
in the microcontrollers doesn't provide 'fork()'.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  THE WOMEN IN TEXAS?"
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  -- ACS1W@jane.uh.edu (meesh)

ted@nmsu.edu (Ted Dunning) (07/08/89)

In article <252@arnor.UUCP> uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:

   Thanks, Tom. I can't help but to recommend you to read some books on CS, in
   my turn. It may enrich your lexicon with some "real" technical terms - so
   we'll not need to seek "technical" definition for UGLY. So be professional,
   please (I mean -even more (:-) - in CS, not in liberal arts...

terms like ugly, good, elegant and so on do not indicate that the
speaker is fuzzy minded even when applied to computer science.  rather
they indicate are reasonable appreciation of the role of heuristic
decisions in the design and evaluation process.

only toy problems (such as are given to people in text-books and in
school) are really amenable to solutions purely on technical grounds.
in the real world of design and engineering there are an enormous
number of decisions that must be made long before the ultimate effect
of those decisions can be known.  in such situations, a good designer
has a philosophy of design to fall back on that allows them to make
decisions in what is essentially a vacuum of hard data.  an honest
designer will use qualitative, `non-technical' terms like ugly or
elegant to describe decisions made on this basis.  a dishonest or
naive designer will deny the applicability of such terms to their
field (not intended to be an ad hominem attack).

it is also important to realize that for design to be a fulfilling
life work for anybody but an automaton, you must allow some outlet for
artistic impulses.  creating a design that not only is functional, but
is a work of art in some sense greatly feeling of creating something
worthwhile.

these `fuzzy' terms DO have an important place in all engineering and
scientific disciplines.  they function as guide-posts in the murk.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (07/09/89)

In article <252@arnor.UUCP> uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:

> From article <Jul.7.01.19.39.1989.7792@pilot.njin.net>, by limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli):
> >> Sorry, but I don't remember such terminology in Computer Science - ugly,
> >> nice, beautiful...
> >
> > Strange.  ...........  I guess that's
> > what I get for being a CS major at a liberal arts college.
> >
> > I recommend you read "A Mathematician's Appology" by G.H. Hardy for a
> > "technical" definition of "ugly".
>
> Thanks, Tom. I can't help but to recommend you to read some books on CS, in
> my turn. It may enrich your lexicon with some "real" technical terms - so
> we'll not need to seek "technical" definition for UGLY. So be professional,
> please (I mean -even more (:-) - in CS, not in liberal arts...
>
> Uri.

If you re-read what I posted, you'll see that I *am* a CS major, I'm
*at* a liberal arts university.  Though I am a student, I also run a
team of programmers at our computer center.  These are usually
medium-large applications for use by non-computer people on our VAX.

"Are you just a automaton or what?" is a question I ask many
programmers.  If you don't plan a good, sound, (may I use the word
'elegant'?) design from the start (in other words, if you don't THINK)
it will catch up with you later.

By not only designing products, but keeping a good design philosophy
in all your programs, you prevent mistakes.  For example, I'm very
consistant with my string handling and I require all my code (and the
code of people that I manage) to handle all the "what if's".  For
example, I always handle special cases like null-strings even if they
shouldn't creep into that subroutine.  Another example is that we
include ELSE clauses on more IF-THEN statements than most people
would.  Many times the ELSE just outputs "Should Never Execute: ID="
and then a unique number.  This helps out the bug-testers.

Now, you may disagree with those design philosophies or agree; there
are reasons for and against doing things that way; but it's a design
philosophy that we keep, and we all rely on them.  I would NEVER
blindly require those kind of conditions at the next site I work; but
they work well here.

It's interesting to note that recently the powers-that-be requested a
new function in something.  One asked if it could be done by leaving
something in the config file blank.  I didn't think I was pressing my
luck by attempting it in front of them because I trusted the code.
The null string was generated properly and propagated through the
entire program and it never, ever crashed.  In no way had the program
been designed to handle a null-string there but it worked.

I saved about a week of re-writes because I was careful in my
pre-planning.  Literally an ounce of forethought saved me a week in
re-writing.  Maintain a good philosophy and the good philosophy will
maintain you.

Why don't *you* become more professional, Sir.  It only hurts the
industry when a programmer can't think for him/her self.  I have seen
too many people angry at the entire industry because one consultant
provided a solution that was one kludge on top of another; all held
together by spit and glue.  ...and it fell apart at the wrong moment.
I ask you, is that design philosophy or is that ethics?

Maybe what CS majors need is a little more philosophy.

-Tom
--

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) (07/10/89)

From limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli):
> I require all my code [...] to handle all the "what if's". [...]
> I saved about a week of re-writes because I was careful in my pre-planning.
> [...] Maybe what CS majors need is a little more philosophy.

   Sorry, Tom, this isn't philosophy.  It's software engineering.

   And yes, it is indeed unfortunate that many CS majors who graduated
   several years back were able to get their degrees without a
   software engineering requirement.  Those persons can now upgrade
   their skills at the local University Bookstore.

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (07/10/89)

From article <Jul.9.12.59.44.1989.22438@pilot.njin.net>, by limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli):

> "Are you just a automaton or what?" is a question I ask many
> programmers.  If you don't plan a good, sound, (may I use the word
> 'elegant'?) design from the start (in other words, if you don't THINK)
> it will catch up with you later.

Well, since I'm not going to quarrel, I'll leave this alone.

> Now, you may disagree with those design philosophies or agree; there
> are reasons for and against doing things that way; but it's a design
> philosophy that we keep, and we all rely on them.  I would NEVER
> blindly require those kind of conditions at the next site I work; but
> they work well here.
>
> Why don't *you* become more professional, Sir.  It only hurts the
> industry when a programmer can't think for him/her self.  I have seen
> too many people angry at the entire industry because one consultant
> provided a solution that was one kludge on top of another; all held
> together by spit and glue.  ...and it fell apart at the wrong moment.
> I ask you, is that design philosophy or is that ethics?
>
> Maybe what CS majors need is a little more philosophy.

I've already answered such an "attack", though that one was a lot kinder,
more "professional", I'd say. I'm repeating: actually there's nothing
wrong when somebody uses such terms SOMETIMES. Well, everybody probably
has met nice programs, and even more - ugly ones. But listen, to start
discussion about new, unfamiliar to most of us (I daresay) product with
a sentence "it's ugly" - it doesn't sound too reasonable for me. Again:
DESCRIBE it at first, and we'll see then what it is - ugly or not.

What did you mean by "can't think for him/her self" please? If you're
trying to start flaming - it's not the best place, neither it's decent
(or at least polite) way to do it. Such ill-mannered (sorry, can't stop
myself) offenses aren't nice at all. Since you haven't seen my programs,
you'd better wait with judging them, OK? I'm not discussing yours...

Design philosophy or ethics? Both (but of course). More philosophy for CS?
Well, in my University we had plenty (no less than your "liberal", I'd say).

Regards,
	  Uri.

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (07/23/89)

> >From article <382@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, by jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney):
> > *WHY DOESN'T ANYONE SEEM TO CARE?*

The research community doesn't care because it is someone elses project.

Industry doesn't care because it isn't a product yet.

The whole mess looks like another non-tariff barrier to me.

F.Y.I   there is a book on TRON, from either academic press or
        Springer Verlag.

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz@ssc.uucp
                            uunet!amc!