[comp.realtime] IEE488/VME/Unix

twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) (07/19/89)

  I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
similiar system.
  I am aware of serial/GPIB converters but really don't like the idea of them.
I'm pretty much a neophyte in the GPIB area but what little I do know tells me
that these converters are of limited use. (Like, how do you sense an SRQ??)
If you have a good opinion of a converter, well, convert me.
  Please do not bother flaming the IEEE488, if it was not neccessary in my
application I would not be using it.

  					Many Thanks,
					Tom Banister
					...!rochester!tropix!coconut!twb
					(716) 377-3200

lcz@dptudg.sat.datapoint.com (Lee Ziegenhals) (07/20/89)

twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) writes:

>  I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
>based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
>available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
>hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
>similiar system.

Motorola has a IEEE488 VME module, the MVME300.  They show it as being
supported by VERSAdos and System V/68.

I have no personal experience with this board, and I do not see a driver
specifically for it in my release of System V/68.  Perhaps it comes with
its own drivers?

For more information, you may want to call Motorola's Microcomputer Division.
Their phone number is 1-800-556-1234 x230.

brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) (07/20/89)

In article <357@tropix.UUCP>, twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) writes:
>   I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
> based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
> available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
> hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
> similiar system.
} 					Tom Banister
} 					...!rochester!tropix!coconut!twb
} 					(716) 377-3200

     Uhh.  What kind of system are you using?
     National Instruments makes a 1014 (VME) to 488 (GPIB) board.  (We call it
"the 1014 board".)  We've got a variety of drivers for various systems, but
without knowing what kind of system you have, I can't say whether we have
drivers for it.
     There are two versions of the board, a DMA version and a Programmed I/O
version.

Brian H. Powell					National Instruments Corp.
	brian@natinst.com			12109 Technology Blvd.
	uunet!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!brian	Austin, Texas 78727-6204
	AppleLink:NATINST			(512) 250-9119

baumann@muon.uucp (Michael Baumann) (07/20/89)

In article <357@tropix.UUCP> twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) writes:

 " I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
similiar system. "

Check with National Instruments, 12109 Technology Blvd, Austin Texas, 78727
(512)250-9119. You may want to look at their GPIB-1014 or GPIB-1014P
with drivers. The 1014 allows DMA, the 1014P is programmed I/O. I do not
know if this will work under SysV. We wrote our own drivers to operate with
VxWorks.

Michael Baumann

Radiation Research Lab		|Internet: baumann%proton.UUCP@ucrmath.UCR.EDU
Loma Linda Universtiy Medical Center |        UUCP: ...ucrmath!proton!baumann
Loma Linda, California. (714)824-4077|

piner@pur-phy (Richard Piner) (07/21/89)

IOtech runs a small add in Phyiscs today. They claim 488 hardware
for IBM, Mac, HP, DEC, & Sun. DOS and Unix drivers. You might give them
a call. They are in Cleavland, their phone is 216-439-4091.

				Richard Piner

jerry@wrs.wrs.com (Jerry Fiddler) (07/22/89)

In article <357@tropix.UUCP> twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) writes:

>  I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
>based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
>available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
>hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
>similiar system.

I took a quick look in my VITA VMEbus directory, and found that 22 companies
list VMEbus IEEE-488 boards.  I don't know which ones have Sys V drivers
available, but I'm sure that several do.

What Unix system are you using?  Who integrated it?

>  Please do not bother flaming the IEEE488, if it was not neccessary in my
>application I would not be using it.

You have my sympathy.
--
Jerry Fiddler
Wind River Systems

jeffh@hplsla.HP.COM (Jeff Harrell) (08/13/89)

i've used the national gpib (HPIB in my part of the world) cards
and find the hardware, software and support very good.

jeff (spectra software) harrell