[comp.realtime] need pSOS advice/experience

kiy@pte.UUCP (Kevin Young) (08/15/89)

In article <1358@unhd.unh.UUCP> rg@unh.UUCP (Roger   Gonzalez) writes:
>Is anyone familiar with the RT operating system pSOS?...

I would also like to hear of experiences with pSOS, specifically the
version that runs on an IBM-PC 286 or 386 box.

--
>|< Kevin I Young					uunet!edsews!pte!kiy
    Precise Technology & Electronics, Inc.
    Custom Automated Test and Measurement Equipment for Industry
    Old Saying: "If you can't do it in real time, then don't do it at all" - me

gardner@kodak.UUCP (Dick Gardner) (08/16/89)

In article <1809@pte.UUCP> kiy@pte.UUCP (Kevin Young) writes:
>In article <1358@unhd.unh.UUCP> rg@unh.UUCP (Roger   Gonzalez) writes:
>>Is anyone familiar with the RT operating system pSOS?...
>
>I would also like to hear of experiences with pSOS, specifically the
>version that runs on an IBM-PC 286 or 386 box.
>
>--
 Kevin
	My experience with pSOS for '86 is somewhat out-dated, but at the
time, Software Components had only the barest kernel.  If you needed any
services like IO, file-handling, etc, you were on your own.  Also, the
development environment was un-friendly and difficult.  I understand that
things have changed now, but at the time I couldn't afford $3k for something
that was so incomplete.  I returned their sampler, and asked them to contact
me when this product has matured, but I haven't heard one word in 2 years.
	We DO have pSOS for 68k processors, and the guys that use it seem
to like it well enough.  I believe that Software Components' experience
began with, and concentrated on Motorola processors.  I don't know if it's
possible to develop applications on your target with pSOS-68k -- last I
knew, you had to assemble/compile on a VAX or PC or something, and then
download to your target.
	Software Components has NOT kept in touch with our people using
their product, and we are disappointed and are dropping use of it.

	In my search for a RTOS for PC's I stopped looking after I found
QNX by Quantum Software Systems.  It is a real-time, multi-tasking, multi-
user, networking OS that is fast, compact and reliable.  It runs on any
PC family machine, from an XT to PS/2.  It runs in Protected-mode (has for
more than 2 years) and has a utility called RUNDOS that permits many, (but
not all) DOS applications to run without leaving QNX.  I am running NCSA
Telnet that way now, for example.  Contact me if you'd like more info.

*** Usual disclaimers apply. I'm only a satisfied customer ***

Hope this info is useful.

   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14652-4201
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: rutgers!rochester!kodak!gardner
		   Net:  gardner@kodak.com

  		"Hah!  No Problem!"----------