[comp.realtime] 80c51 vs. 68hc11

skohls@uceng.UC.EDU (Steve Kohls) (09/11/89)

	I have a few questions for those out there that have used the
	Intel 80C51 or Motorola 68HC11 series of processors.  I am
	working on a project which will require several microcontrollers
	in a distributed network, and I am trying to decide which one to
	use.  I would like to use an available realtime kernel to control
	scheduling, etc.  Motorola apparently offers its MCX11 kernel,
	source code and manual for free! (see Sept. 1 1989 issue of _EDN_)
	Has anyone had any experience with this?  Are there any inexpensive
	realtime kernels out there for the 8051?  (or even a good Public
	Domain source of 8051 code).
	For those of you who have used both processors, or had to decide
	between the two, which do you prefer?
	Any help would be appreciated.

			Thanks,
				Steve
--
 _______________________
|  Steve Kohls		|

sampson@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson) (09/12/89)

Ciarcia (Ex-Byte writer) now has a new magazine called Circuit Cellar Ink.
Their doing a networked house that uses the 8051 series.  It's a little 3x3
board and pretty neat, as it's stackable with I/O, prototyping board, etc.
They also have a 68hc11 board coming out the same size.  Try the BBS at
(203) 871-1988 as their are many people on the system who are probably doing
the same as you.
/ex
(oops)

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (09/12/89)

In article <2127@uceng.UC.EDU> skohls@uceng.UC.EDU (Steve Kohls) writes:

>	I have a few questions for those out there that have used the
>	Intel 80C51 or Motorola 68HC11 series of processors.  I am

I have used the MC68HC11, but not the 80C51.  The MC68HC11 is an extremely
vesatile processor that tends to help the designer rather than hinder.

>	scheduling, etc.  Motorola apparently offers its MCX11 kernel,
>	source code and manual for free! (see Sept. 1 1989 issue of _EDN_)
>	Has anyone had any experience with this?  Are there any inexpensive
>	realtime kernels out there for the 8051?  (or even a good Public
>	Domain source of 8051 code).

Motorola maintains a BBS in Austin that is open to anyone using Motorola
processors.  The board contains PD assemblers and programs (source code)
for each of their processors.  There are a number of MC68HC11 source code
programs such as definition include files available for downloading.

Unfortunately I do not have the telephone number for the BBS but you can
obtain it from your local Motorola dealer.  This is the microprocessor
BBS (they have another board called Dr. BuB for the DSP product line).

I would recommend the MC68HC11 for ease of design and because of the support
provided by Motorola.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

elliott@optilink.UUCP (Paul Elliott x225) (09/12/89)

In article <2127@uceng.UC.EDU>, skohls@uceng.UC.EDU (Steve Kohls) writes:

> 	I have a few questions for those out there that have used the
> 	Intel 80C51 or Motorola 68HC11 series of processors.

At Optilink, we evaluated the 80C51 and the 68HC11 for use on telecom
equipment linecards (literally hundreds per system) so our criteria were
somewhat different than yours, but for what it's worth...

80C51 advantages:
-Multiple sources.
-Faster interrupt response (the 68HC11 stacks all registers automatically,
 whether you need to or not).
-More mature product, therefor wider choice of development tools.

68HC11 advantages:
-More internal features (extra counters, async AND sync serial support,
 a-to-d converter, eeprom, etc.).
-Flexible startup (boot) options-- can be started out of eeprom, for example.
-Real stack (the 80C51 has a limited internal stack-- this might be a critical
 issue for a real-time kernal).
-Better external memory support (the HL register on the 80c51 is a bottleneck).

In the final analysis, we decided that the Motorola chip was a better fit for
our application.  There are several c compilers for the 68HC11; we evaluated
a handfull and found that the code generated ranged from pretty good to
absolutely horrible (I can follow up on this if you are interested).

By the way, I have used the 80C51 in several projects in the past, and it
is an excellent chip where appropriate.  It just has some architectural
features that optimize it for smaller controller jobs.

Good luck in your project!
--Paul

--
Paul M. Elliott      Optilink Corporation     (707) 795-9444
         {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!elliott

cbm@well.UUCP (Chris Muir) (09/13/89)

In message <2127@uceng.UC.EDU> skohls@uceng.uc.edu (Steve Kohls)
writes:

>        I have a few questions for those out there that have used the
>        Intel 80C51 or Motorola 68HC11 series of processors.  I am
>        working on a project which will require several microcontrollers
>        in a distributed network, and I am trying to decide which one to
>        use.  I would like to use an available realtime kernel to control
>        scheduling, etc.

If your project requires much external memory, stay away from the 8051
family. I used 3 of them in an electronic music project a year or two
ago and was very sorry. Two 8051s were sharing a dual-port memory and
the other was sitting on the end of a serial line. I wrote my own
scheduler/dispatcher, my own interrupt stuff, in short, my own
everything. If I had to do it again (no, not that...arrgh) I would run
to the Motorola family.

Chris Muir                             |   "There is no language in our lungs
{hplabs,pacbell,ucbvax,apple}          |    to tell the world just how we feel"
!well!cbm                              |                         - A. Partridge

bwf@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (bernard.w.fecht) (09/14/89)

In article <2316@optilink.UUCP> elliott@optilink.UUCP (Paul Elliott x225) writes:

>                  There are several c compilers for the 68HC11; we evaluated
>a handfull and found that the code generated ranged from pretty good to
>absolutely horrible (I can follow up on this if you are interested).
>
>--Paul

Please do...

Bill

johne@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (John Eaton) (09/16/89)

<<<<
<
< Unfortunately I do not have the telephone number for the BBS but you can
< obtain it from your local Motorola dealer.  This is the microprocessor
< BBS (they have another board called Dr. BuB for the DSP product line).
(512) 891-3733......2400/1200/300 8 Bits NoPar 1 stop.

John Eaton
!hpvcfs1!johne