[net.followup] UNIX mail nodes

cwh@drutx.UUCP (Hoffmeyer) (11/30/84)

I second the motion.  It's nice to know where on the face of our planet
items originate - and where our responses are being sent.  I think it helps
give users a better feel for the physical extension of the net.

Let's have listing of physical locations for the nodes and sites.

- Carl Hoffmeyer drutx!cwh AT&T Information Systems, Denver

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (12/01/84)

There is a group that is already collecting this information for the
entire UUCP network. the data was posted once in August of this year,
and is going to be posted again around the first of the year.

Electronic Site forms (which are supposed to contain not just
who you connect to, but also how often, so that routers can find the
fastest path) are available from {ucbvax,ihnp4}!cbosgd!uucpmap.

I strongly recommend that you fetch one of these forms, fill it out,
and send it off to cbosgd!uucpmap. The more information we have,
the better routing we can do.

	Mr. USENET for dual & ucbvax,

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA

	dual!fair@BERKELEY.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,unisoft,fortune,sun,nsc}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California

spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (12/01/84)

In article <1508@drutx.UUCP> cwh@drutx.UUCP (Hoffmeyer) writes:
>I second the motion.  It's nice to know where on the face of our planet
>items originate - and where our responses are being sent.  I think it helps
>give users a better feel for the physical extension of the net.
>
>Let's have listing of physical locations for the nodes and sites.

You've got such a listing, and had it for many months.  I post a list
of sites sorted by organization name once a month to mod.newslists.
Karen Summers-Horton posts the news maps to mod.map.news once a month,
too.

If your sites don't get the "mod" groups, complain to your system
administrator and find out why not.

--
Gene "8 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

honey@down.FUN (12/03/84)

i can't decide which pisses me off more:  people who self-righteously
display their ignorance and ineptitude, or people who blast private
mail from me to the net (typo's and all).  in this case we have both.

i won't bore you all with my nasty reply to hoffmeyer -- i'm sure if
you ask him nicely, he'll send you a copy.
	peter

cwh@drutx.UUCP (Hoffmeyer) (12/08/84)

[Take this, all of you - and gag on it]

> From **RJE** Sat Dec  1 14:50 EST 1984
> >From **RJE** Sat Dec  1 14:50 EST 1984 forwarded by **RJE**
> >From uucp Sat Dec  1 14:25 EST 1984 remote from mhuxi
> >From down!honey  Sat Dec  1 14:19:03 1984 remote from princeton
> Date: 1 Dec 1984 14:16-EST
> To: drutx!cwh
> Subject: Re: UNIX mail nodes
>
> i have a database of over 4,300 hosts and more than 25,000 links.
> now, isn;t your suggestion slightly impractical?
>	 peter honeyman
peter, Since I can't seem to create anything akin to a path to YOU,
and since you didn't include one in your letter, I'll answer you here.
Thanks so much for the note.  Yes, my suggestion would be impractical,
that is if it had been my suggestion, which it wasn't.  A fact not
reflected in your letter - for whatever reason.

My note (I think it was in net.followup, which is intended for such things)
was a followup article (neat huh?) to someone's suggestion for a posting,
at whatever periods (yearly? centennially?), of the physical locations of
sites.  If you're just dying to know, I'll locate the reference and
pass it on.

> now, isn;t your suggestion slightly impractical?
The practicality of such a suggestion - were it made to me - would depend,
presumably, upon the limitations of my database and my programming skills.
Of the dozen or so data base managers (of varying sizes) I've written,
only one threatened to grapple with the volume of data you mention - that's
why I partitioned the data.
- Regards - Carl