[comp.realtime] Real time operating systems

kiml@fred.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Kim Lopez) (12/12/89)

I am investigating real time operating systems for 680x0 family
microprocessors.  In particular, I am looking for a system
which supports file managing in addition to multitasking,
messaging, etc.

Other nice to haves include serial device support, ethernet support.

We currently use Ready Systems VRTX, FMX and IOX.  They no longer
support these "old" products and are twisting our arm to upgrade
to VRTX 32 with IFX.  So, I decided now would be a good time to
look around to see what else has hit the market since 1986.

If the operating system is microprocessor independent or configurable
in some way for both Motorola and Intel microprocessors, it would
be even better as our software system is going to be re-usable on
many platforms.

Thanks!!

Kim Lopez
Design Engineer
Data I/O Corporation
10525 Willows Road N.E.
Redmond, WA 98072
Ph:  1-206-881-6444  extension 3537.
FAX: 1-206-882-1043

cocoiii@shumv1.uucp (John Vestal) (12/14/89)

    I don't know if it is true "real time," but there is OS-9000 out for the
680X0 and will run on 386's.  It is a "portable" version of OS-9, which what
NASA uses for it's real time Shuttle Operations.  I think it is available
from Microsoft.  Maybe someone else knows more about it.

                                          Hope that helps,
                                            cocoiii@shumv1.ncsu.edu
                                                   (John Vestal)
*  cocoiii@shumv1.ncsu.edu                                                   *
*                          (John Vestal)                                     *
*  cocoiii@shumv1.ncsu.edu                                                   *
*                          (John Vestal)                                     *

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (12/14/89)

In article <1989Dec13.181226.22400@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> cocoiii@shumv1.uucp (John Vestal) writes:
>I think [OS-9000] is available from Microsoft.

It is available, but from Microware Systems Corporation.  (I do wonder whether
anyone has called Microsoft to ask for OS-9 or OS-9000, though. :-)

	James Jones

kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec13.181226.22400@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> cocoiii@shumv1.uucp (John Vestal) writes:
>    I don't know if it is true "real time," but there is OS-9000 out for the
>680X0 and will run on 386's.  It is a "portable" version of OS-9, which what
>NASA uses for it's real time Shuttle Operations.  I think it is available
>from Microsoft.  Maybe someone else knows more about it.
      ^^^^^^^^^

Byte your keyboard!  OS-9000 and OS-9 are from Microware Systems Corporation
in Des Moines, Iowa.  Both operating systems are real-time, multi-user and
multi-tasking.  A full discussion of the capabilities and concepts of
these operating systems takes nearly a full volume to describe.  Fortunately,
such a thing exists!  Microware has a publication called "The OS-9 Catalog"
that is basically a technical guide to the OS-9 family products.  This
piece is a book of about 180 pages that is much less than a technical
manual but much more than product description sheets.  This catalog is not
a "product hype" piece.  No prices or ordering options confuse things, just
technical information detailed enough to allow evaluation of a product
without wading through sample user's guides or manuals.

Since OS-9000 has just been introduced, there is no "Catalog" yet, but that
should be ready about the first of the year.  Regarding the features of
OS-9000 itself, if there is sufficient interest, I can post a technical
highlight summary.

OS-9000/386 is running on the following pc/at machines:

	Gateway 2000 - 25Mhz/caching with ESDI HD controller
	AST/386 - 20mhz with MFM HD controller
	Compaq - all models from SX thru 25mhz/caching with ESDI HD controller
	Leading Edge - 20mhz with MFM HD controller

I suppose it would run on a normal IBM PC/AT 386, but who uses that these
days? :-)

These are examples of development and evaluation platforms.  OS-9000 is
a fully ROMable operating system that has no bus or system architecture
dependencies (other than target CPU type).  OS-9000 is quite suitable for
embedded ROM-based applications (especially intellegent products) since
the kernel and basic I/O easily fit in 128KB of ROM.

In addition to target-based (OS-9000/386) development, Microware offers
a number of cross development systems for OS-9000 such as UNIX workstations
(SUN, Apollo, NEC, Sony, HP) and VAX UNIX or VMS.

For more information (sales, configuration, low-level technical, OS-9 Catalog
or licensing) contact:

Microware Systems Corporation (515) 224-1929
or uunet!mcrware!mcrware

or email to me for technical questions.

--
----------------
Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

wynkoop@esquire.UUCP (Brett Wynkoop) (12/16/89)

Please do post the info on OS9000.  I have called Microware several times
and have not gotten any info I did not already have from being a long time
OS9 user.

-Brett

uucp.................cmcl2!esquire!wynkoop
domain...............wynkoop@esquire.dpw.com
CI$..................72057,3720
Land Line............212-266-0741
Air Wave.............WA3YRE/2 (7.075 Mhz, 7.255 Mhz, 14.313 Mhz, 14.230 Mhz)

kiml@fred.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Kim Lopez) (12/16/89)

To all of you who have mailed me mail on operating systems:
THANK YOU!

I now know who makes MTOS, so you no longer need to mail me that
information.

Now I have to dig myself out from all the sales literature and
manuals and make a report comparing the systems.

Thanks for all the help.

Kim Lopez
Design Engineer

Data I/O Corporation