[comp.realtime] books about real time programming

heidi@kiwi.bcm.tmc.edu (Heidi Johnson) (12/15/89)

Can anyone recommend some good books for a person who is not even
sure what 'real time' programming entails?

Thanks a bunch,
Heidi
heidi@kiwi.bcm.tmc.edu

killops@mentor.com (Scott Killops) (12/16/89)

In article <1853@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> heidi@kiwi.bcm.tmc.edu (Heidi Johnson) writes:

>Can anyone recommend some good books for a person who is not even
>sure what 'real time' programming entails?

Well, speaking of MTOS, David Ripps from IPI has recently come out
with "An Implementation Guide to Real-time Programming", published
by Prentice Hall.  Haven't seen it, though.  (Anybody have any review
comments?)

I like Savitsky's book for a good general introduction to microprocessor
based real-time systems, but I don't have a copy and don't recall the
title off-hand.  It was reviewed by Plauger in "Embedded Systems Programming"
about six months back.  A couple similar books which I do have are:

	Real-Time Microcomputer System Design: An Introduction
	Peter D. Lawrence, Konrad Mauch
	1987, McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-036731-0

	Real-Time Computer Control: An Introduction
	Stuart Bennett
	1988, Prentice Hall International, ISBN 0-13-762485-9

The first is a little more hardware oriented, but reflects the bus and boards
approach to putting together real-time systems pretty well.  The second is a
little more balanced between hardware and software, but tends to focus on control
applications.  A book focused entirely on real-time software is:

	Introduction to Real-time Software Design, Second Edition
	S.T. Allworth and R.N. Zobel
	1987, Spring-Verlag, ISBN 0-387-91307-6

All of these books include lots of other references.  Also, IEEE has a tutorial
on hard real-time systems which contains lots of more technical papers on
scheduling, etc.

Chow,
Scott

neil@wcc.oz (Neil Murray) (12/21/89)

In article <1989Dec15.180424.9253@mentor.com>, killops@mentor.com (Scott Killops) writes:
> In article <1853@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> heidi@kiwi.bcm.tmc.edu (Heidi Johnson) writes:
> >
> >Can anyone recommend some good books for a person who is not even
> >sure what 'real time' programming entails?

	Real-time software for small systems
	A.W.Leigh
	1988, Sigma press (UK),  ISBN 0-905104-98-6
	1988, Halsted press (US),ISBN 0-470-20980-1

   I bought this last week so I have only read ~20 pages which is covering the
basics so far.  It seems to be a 'hands-on' approach using a simple Z80 system
for the examples.  There's coverage on semaphores, producers/consumers with a
strong tie to the real-world showing where the problems occur and how the
theoretical concepts are used.  If the rest of the book is of similar style
I'll count this purchase as money well spent.

	A book by Ben Ari (title forgotten) gives an excellent treatment on
the classic problems in synchronisation, dining philosophers, producers/consum-
ers.  Its a book every programmer for device drivers, operating systems & real
time systems should be familiar with (my opinion of course).

> Well, speaking of MTOS, David Ripps from IPI has recently come out
> with "An Implementation Guide to Real-time Programming", published
> by Prentice Hall.  Haven't seen it, though.  (Anybody have any review
> comments?)

	Anyone have more details on this?  ISBN #, a review, contents list?

> I like Savitsky's book for a good general introduction to microprocessor
> based real-time systems, but I don't have a copy and don't recall the
> title off-hand.  It was reviewed by Plauger in "Embedded Systems Programming"
> about six months back. ...

	ditto for this.

--
Neil Murray  (R&D Dept)			Phone:  (03) 764 1100
Webster Computer Corporation P/L	Fax:	(03) 764 1179

steve@arc.UUCP (Steve Savitzky) (12/22/89)

In article <1989Dec15.180424.9253@mentor.com>, killops@mentor.com (Scott Killops) writes:
> In article <1853@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> heidi@kiwi.bcm.tmc.edu (Heidi Johnson) writes:
> >
> >Can anyone recommend some good books for a person who is not even
> >sure what 'real time' programming entails?
> I like Savitsky's book for a good general introduction to microprocessor
> based real-time systems, but I don't have a copy and don't recall the
> title off-hand.  It was reviewed by Plauger in "Embedded Systems Programming"
> about six months back. ...

Just happen to have a copy sitting around ;-)

  Savitzky, Stephen R. _Real-Time Microprocessor Systems_; New York:
     Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1985.  ISBN 0-442-28048-3
     Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 84-15209.

--
\ Steve Savitzky      \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE!
 \ steve@arc.UUCP      \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<std_disclaimer.h>