[comp.realtime] Who makes MTOS?

kiml@fred.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Kim Lopez) (12/14/89)

Hello again.

I am still on a mission to find all the real time operating
systems available on the market which aren't fly by night operations.

Here is a list I've found so far:

Ready Systems -- VRTX, FMX, and IOX
Wind River Systems -- VxWorks
Microware Systems -- OS-9, OS-9000
Software Components Group -- pSOS, pHile

There is a smattering of tiny little companies who make systems
for around $1000 who advertise in the very back of Embedded Systems.
I hesitate to include them here as I believe you get what you pay
for, and for $1000, I'm afraid you wouldn't get much.
Some examples are:

Micro Digital -- SMX  "simple multitasking executive"
Byte-Bos -- The Bos
U.S. Software-- USX

If anyone out there has used any of these with success, please let
the net know.  I'd hate to bad mouth a company with a good product.

I read an article on operating systems in Embedded Systems Magazine,
December 89 issue.  The author mentioned another system called
MTOS.  But he failed to mention the corporation who makes it.
Does anyone out there in net land know who makes MTOS?
Sounds like it may be a major player out there.

If anyone wants the phone numbers or addresses of these companies,
send me mail and I'll respond.

Thanks in advance for information on MTOS.

Kim Lopez
Design Engineer
Data I/O Corporation
Redmond, WA 98073
Ph: 206-881-6444

killops@mentor.com (Scott Killops) (12/16/89)

In article <1355@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> kiml@fred.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Kim Lopez) writes:
>Hello again.
>
>I am still on a mission to find all the real time operating
>systems available on the market which aren't fly by night operations.
>
>Here is a list I've found so far:
>
>Ready Systems -- VRTX, FMX, and IOX
>Wind River Systems -- VxWorks
>Microware Systems -- OS-9, OS-9000
>Software Components Group -- pSOS, pHile
>
>I read an article on operating systems in Embedded Systems Magazine,
>December 89 issue.  The author mentioned another system called
>MTOS.  But he failed to mention the corporation who makes it.
>Does anyone out there in net land know who makes MTOS?
>Sounds like it may be a major player out there.

MTOS is produced by:

	Industrial Programming Inc.
	100 Jericho Quadrangle
	Jericho, NY 11753
	(516)938-6600

Other realtime OSs/Kernels (not necessarily 68K based)

	PDOS from Eyring Research Institute
	LynxOS from ??? (You guys post here, don't you?)
	Regulus from ???
	iRMX and iRMK from Intel
	VersaDOS and VME-Exec from Motorola
	FlexOS from Digital Research

You can find papers reguarding some of these products
from vendors and users in BUSCON proceedings.

Chow,
Scott

mitch@lynx.uucp (Mitch Bunnell) (12/19/89)

>Other realtime OSs/Kernels (not necessarily 68K based)

>	LynxOS from ??? (You guys post here, don't you?)

You bet we do!

LynxOS is a product of Lynx Real-Time Systems, Inc.

LynxOS is a real-time, Unix compatible operating system available for the
80386 and 680x0 and will be available very soon for the 88000 and MIPS
processors. It is source code compatible with 4.3 BSD UNIX and System V.
It meets the IEEE 1003.1 (POSIX) standard (as it stands).  It is binary
compatible with System V.  It has guaranteed (fast) interrupt and task
response.

Now for the BIG news.  LynxOS was selected by IBM and NASA to be the
operating system for the Space Station.  That is the operating system
for the ON-BOARD computers (some 20 to 40 systems). I shall quote
IBM:

"After a very thorough and detailed evaluation, which included benchmarking
and prototyping three candidate operating systems, IBM has selected Lynx
Real-Time Systems, Inc. for negotiation to develope a custom operating
system for the Space Station DMS [Data Management System].  This
recommendation was accepted by WP2 prime contractor McDonnell Douglas
Space Systems Company and NASA JSC Space Station Freedom Program Office
on 11/15/1989."
"Freedom's DMS will provide an execution environment for demanding
real-time process control software.  Applications such as flight control,
life support, and communications and tracking are examples of the
process control activities that must be supported.  The selection of
a small, high performance kernel (such as Lynx Real-Time System[s], Inc.
uses in their LynxOS) allows a maximum of flexibility in designing and
implementing additions and changes to solve real-time challanges."
"The selection was based on capability demonstrated by the size, performance,
and functionality of their LynxOS, which provides the functions of the
IEEE 1003.1 standard and most of the functions of the IEEE P1003.4 standard"

You heard it here first.

---------------------------

Mitchell Bunnell
Lynx Real-time Systems, Inc.	(408) 370-2233
550 Division St
Campbell, CA 95008

"Jim, I feel here that Scott may be too tall in the area of height with
reference to Vanilla, who is too near the ground in the area of being
too short at this time." Timmy Jones (a.k.a Eric Idle)

andrew@qcc-hal.UUCP (Andrew R. Kostiuk) (12/22/89)

kiml@fred.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Kim Lopez) writes:

>Hello again.

>I am still on a mission to find all the real time operating
>systems available on the market which aren't fly by night operations.

>I read an article on operating systems in Embedded Systems Magazine,
>December 89 issue.  The author mentioned another system called
>MTOS.  But he failed to mention the corporation who makes it.
>Does anyone out there in net land know who makes MTOS?
>Sounds like it may be a major player out there.

MTOS is made by:

	Industrial Programming Inc.
	100 Jericho Quadrangle
	Jericho, New York  11753
	(516) 938-6600
	800-365-MTOS
	Fax (516) 938-6609

Bernard Mushinsky is the Sales Manager and can get you any info you need.

| +--------------+    Andrew R. Kostiuk      #4 - 2345 Avenue C North |
| |   Q  C  C    |    M.Sc., P.Eng.          Saskatoon, SK.           |
| |COMMUNICATIONS|    Systems Engineer       CANADA     S7L 5Z5       |
| | CORPORATION  |    Tel.: (306)665-6488    Fax.: (306)665-9936      |
| +--------------+    uucp: alberta!dvinci!qcc-hal!andrew             |