[comp.realtime] Search for uC realtime os w/ GUI

tce@ann.MN.ORG (Thomas C. Evans) (02/09/90)

I am developing an instrument which requires real time process control
an a user interface.  realTimeUnix+X would be nice.. but the
qualification, learning curve and resources required rule it out.

The current tack (based on external default decisions) is 386sx, Intel
RMX os, and C-worthy character based user interface kit to be ported
from dos.

I want a graphical user interface with the ability to change
languages, and a path to a Japanese user interface.

The processor / os / GUI tool kit are all open ( for about three weeks)
This project needs to move forward about 20 years!

All suggestions and comments about real time performance, look&feel, tools,
support, language interface, reliability welcome!
I will summarize in comp.realtime and comp.so.misc

--
Thomas C. Evans            self is like insanity,                tce@ann.MN.ORG
Minneapolis MN.           its hereditary and you        {umn-cs,amdahl,hpda}...

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (02/10/90)

In article <44@ann.MN.ORG> tce@ann.MN.ORG (Thomas C. Evans) writes:
>I am developing an instrument which requires real time process control
>an a user interface.  realTimeUnix+X would be nice.. but the
>qualification, learning curve and resources required rule it out.

Take a look at QNX, from Quantum Software Systems (416-591-0931).
It has a small (150K) kernel, can be distributed across multiple
nodes with transparent inter-task communications and file acess
(it's message-based), will have a GUI (based on Open Look, but without
X) this spring, will be Posix-compliant this summer, and is very
fast (it's well-known in the real-time market, but a sleeper
otherwise). Personally, I think X Windows and real-time are mutually
exclusive. That's why the QNX implementation is native (so the server
requires only about 300K of RAM and has numerous real-time extensions).

bias: I am associated with Quantum, and wrote a book on QNX.
--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.