[comp.realtime] pSOS

rg@unh.UUCP (Roger Gonzalez) (08/11/89)

Is anyone familiar with the RT operating system pSOS?  I'd like to
hear any general feelings about it, and its related options (pROBE,
pRISM, pFILE).  We are running it on approximately 6 boards in an
experimental robot submersible.

Roger Gonzalez
Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
University of New Hampshire

drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) (08/12/89)

In article <1358@unhd.unh.UUCP> rg@unh.UUCP (Roger   Gonzalez) writes:

>Is anyone familiar with the RT operating system pSOS?  I'd like to
>hear any general feelings about it, and its related options (pROBE,
>pRISM, pFILE).  We are running it on approximately 6 boards in an
>experimental robot submersible.
>
>Roger Gonzalez
>Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
>University of New Hampshire

I've been using pSOS, pRISM, and pROBE (all from Software Components Group)
for a few months now to help develop an MVME 133-based multi-CPU, multi-chassis
realtime control system, and I've been quite impressed so far.  The performance
of all of the features I've used has been more than adequate, and I have
not yet encoutered any bugs (I know some exist, but Software Components
Group has documented them fairly well).  The kinds of multitasking features
(message exchanges, signals, process priorities and process scheduling)
supported by pSOS and pRISM seem quite well suited for the kind of real-
time work I'm doing, and the higher-level language interface to these features
(through library function calls) is convenient.  I also find pROBE
indispensable for debugging, and I like the fact that you can add your
own commands to its interactive command-line interface (we use a variety
of custom commands within our development group).

I've heard something called "pSOS+" mentioned in this group; it seems to
be an extended form of pSOS.  Could someone please describe what this
is?

Thanks,

	David R. Kohr, M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory, Group 45 ("Radars 'R' Us")
email:	KOHR@LL.LL.MIT.EDU (preferred) OR drk@athena.mit.edu
phone:	(617)981-0775 (work), (617)527-3908 (home)

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (03/19/90)

Hello netlanders,

I would like to know if any pSOS programmers are out there.
Is there even a mailing list?

Please reply via mail.

Thanks,
	Axel