[comp.realtime] VME exec

thw@philabs.philips.com (Thom Warmerdam) (02/22/90)

For our robotics control experiments, we are considering to
use the VME exec real time operating system. We will
appreciate any information concerning the following:

	- What are weak points of VME exec, and how can we live with them.
	- What are the hardware interfacing experiences ?
	- How convenient can applications be developed on, and downloaded
	  from non-Motorola machines (e.g. Suns) ?
	- What are the experiences with the default compiler v.s. other
	  (e.g. GCC) compilers ?
	- Is there a bug list for the compiler and libraries ?
	- Are sources available for the run-time libraries ?

Please respond by email.  If the number of responses allow it, I'll
post a summary.

Thanks,

Thom Warmerdam (thw@philabs.philips.com)

thw@philabs.philips.com (Thom Warmerdam) (03/20/90)

In article <82372@philabs.Philips.Com> I wrote:
>For our robotics control experiments, we are considering to
>use the VME exec real time operating system. We will
>appreciate any information concerning the following:
>
>   - What are weak points of VME exec, and how can we live with them.
>   - What are the hardware interfacing experiences ?
>   - How convenient can applications be developed on, and downloaded
>     from non-Motorola machines (e.g. Suns) ?
>   - What are the experiences with the default compiler v.s. other
>     (e.g. GCC) compilers ?
>   - Is there a bug list for the compiler and libraries ?
>   - Are sources available for the run-time libraries ?
>
>Please respond by email.  If the number of responses allow it, I'll
>post a summary.

Most replies were counter offerings suggesting competing hardware or
software (Advanced Micro Devices, Vxworks, LynxOS, OS-9). However, I
was not planning to evaluate them.

There was only one reply that provided some experience based information
on VME exec. This one reply judged negatively about VME exec, but it was
based on a beta release.

The information obtained so far is too little to construct a summary.
If additional replies are send to me, I will try to post a more useful
summary.

Thom.