[comp.realtime] SCSI manager/drivers for pSOS

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (05/25/90)

>From: ksh@vine.COM (Kent S. Harris)
>Does anyone have any PD code for a pSOS SCSI manager and/or driver.
>The driver chip will most likely be a NCR5380....
..
>Your thoughts and comments welcome and appreciated.

I just finished a project to implement a standalone WORM file system,
from the driver all the way up.  It runs on both pSOS and Unix, with a
few different #defines.  I'm not sure if it would help, but the driver
controls a NCR5380 on the system controller board over the VMEbus.

Our application only uses one drive, so this driver *does not* support
arbitration.  It should be fairly simple to add.  Basically, the driver
is controlled by a simple state machine, and attempts to self correct
errors by recursively calling itself with a request sense command.  This
driver is intended to be controlled by a single process, with disk access
requests send to it by IPC.

As an indication of the OS independence of the code, I even have most of
the file system code (and driver as well) on a prom running with *no*
operating system support (although how I handle alloc calls without an
operating system would make your hair curl! Fortunately, these do not
appear in the code until well above the driver level.) I'd be happy to
send some/all of the code if you (or anyone else) are interested.

System:  Ironics P32, with IV3273 System controller board.
Dev OS:  System V Unix
Targ OS: pSOS
Drive:   Maxtor RXT-800S
SCSI:    Version 1

-Roger

--
UUCP:   ..!uunet!unhd!rg      | USPS: Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
BITNET: r_gonzalez at unhh    |       University of New Hampshire