[comp.realtime] What is VXI bus ?

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (05/23/90)

In article <1990May22.165409.3727@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, sdm7g@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steve D. Majewski) writes:
>  What is VXI bus ?

Vme eXtensions for Instrumentation

>  Is this a (standardized) variant of VME ?

Yup.

>  - or is this a faster IEEE-488 type of interface ?

Nope.

VXI is an extension of the VME bus to accomodate instruments-on-a-card.
There are different types of VXI controllers.  You can have external
boxes that talk to the cage through a 'Slot 0' interface equipped with
an IEEE-488 interface.  Communication to the cards is slow (the
interface must translate high-level ASCII IEEE-488 commands to
register-level commands), but the controller is easily exapanded.  Or,
you can have controllers that plug in the cage.  This gives you
register-level access to your cards (they appear in the address space of
the controller), but your controller is not very easily expanded.

One drawback to VXI is that a cage typically contains 13 slots, and if
you need more, IEEE-488 is (was?)  the only way to daisy-chain cages.
I've heard of a thing called MXI (I was told that stands for Multiple
eXtensions for Instrumentation) that will allow transparent
daisy-chaining of multiple cages.  I've also heard that MXI allows
external controllers to get register-level access to the cards.  Talk
about the best of both worlds!  I'm trying to find out more about MXI.

Any takers?
--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
    (...!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)

rjn@snowbird.LABS.TEK.COM (Jim Nusbaum) (05/26/90)

In article <6630@fmeed1.UUCP> wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) writes:

>VXI is an extension of the VME bus to accomodate instruments-on-a-card.
>There are different types of VXI controllers.  You can have external
>boxes that talk to the cage through a 'Slot 0' interface equipped with
>an IEEE-488 interface.  Communication to the cards is slow (the
>interface must translate high-level ASCII IEEE-488 commands to
>register-level commands), but the controller is easily exapanded.  Or,
>--
>	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)

One slight clarification.  Communication to VXI slot 0 controllers does
not have to be via GPIB.  It can be anything you want (serial, ethernet,
etc.) and therefore does not have to be slow.

MXI bus is pushed by National Instruments and I think their catalog has
a discussion of it.

--
Jim Nusbaum, Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.
[ucbvax,decvax,allegra,uw-beaver,hplabs]!tektronix!tekchips!rjn