[comp.realtime] compilers

teape@hslrswi.UUCP (Andrew Kiggins) (07/11/90)

hello,
	I am in a slight quandry at the moment, still trying to get management
to decide on a development system for MC68020 based interface board.
Voila le problem, according to the VxWorks blurb we can use the native compiler
from SunOS 4.0 to do our compilation for the target, the Velocity blurb
implies that we need a cross-compiler, and I'm afraid I can't tell the
difference ( apart from $6,500 ). Could some enlightened soul cast some
light on my ignore? Email or post.
		Very much obliged,
			Andy Kiggins.

Well somebody had to ask.

ghfeil@white.toronto.edu (Georg Feil) (07/11/90)

In article <1384@hslrswi.UUCP> teape@hslrswi.UUCP (Andrew Kiggins) writes:
>hello,
>...according to the VxWorks blurb we can use the native compiler
>from SunOS 4.0 to do our compilation for the target, the Velocity blurb
>implies that we need a cross-compiler, and I'm afraid I can't tell the
>difference ( apart from $6,500 )...

You can definitely use the Sun native compiler with VxWorks, as well as
the GNU ANSI C compiler gcc (free software foundation). I do this every day.

I don't use Ready Systems/Velocity, but I have here a blurb on RTsource,
their source-level debugger, which has in it:

  " Use with the Sun-3 native C compiler and assembler; or with the Green
    Hills/Oasys C compiler and assembler. "

This seems to imply that the Sun native tools will work OK, but I'd check with
Ready Systems to make sure. Usually the source-level debugger is the component
which decides which compilers will work, since it must read debugging
information embedded in the object/executable files.
As an example, pSOS+ from Software Components Group has a source-level
debugger called XRAY+ that works only when a C compiler from Microtec is
used (at a purchase cost of several thousand dollars).

Hope this helps,

Georg.
--
Georg Feil                                 Internet: ghfeil@white.toronto.edu