[comp.realtime] 386 C compilers??

ken@dvpdev.UUCP (Ken Greenebaum) (07/09/90)

Sorry for the crossposting.

Anyone do 386 based embedded systems work?? We would love to speak with
you!!!

We want to put together a software development platform for 386 target
boards (we design dedicated boards).

We are interested in the 386 PC-Unix, or MSDOS platforms, and are evaluating
these products:
    Intel 386 development tools
    Metaware Hi-C 386 C compiler
    Watcom C compiler
    Phar-Lap Linkloc linker/locator
    Concurrent Science Softscope debugger
      this needs Intel imIII monitor

Any comments?

Can you suggest other products?

What are you using out there?  Do you like it??

Is anyone using a C++ product for embedded systems?

Please reply by email, or telephone collect (301)670-9282
ask for Ken Greenebaum, or Boris Donskoy.

							-Ken
--
ARPA:  men2a!jando!dvpdev!ken@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:  uunet!men2a!jando!dvpdev!ken

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (07/14/90)

In article <29@dvpdev.UUCP> ken@dvpdev.UUCP (Ken Greenebaum) writes:
>We are interested in the 386 PC-Unix, or MSDOS platforms, and are evaluating
>these products:
>    Metaware Hi-C 386 C compiler

Generates nice fast code, but don't ever consider using it for
floating point math.  The floating point code it generates is
inaccurate and has no provisions for error detection.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

vic@dynsim2.uucp (Vic Rice) (07/16/90)

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes:

>>    Metaware Hi-C 386 C compiler

>Generates nice fast code, but don't ever consider using it for
>floating point math.  The floating point code it generates is
>inaccurate and has no provisions for error detection.

Any recommendations for 386 C compilers for generating programs using
mucho floating point math ?? I am currently using Microway C 2.0.8  .
This compiler supports both Intel 387 and Weitek 3167. However, the
"ansi" option is broken. I would like an ansi-compatible compiler if
possible.

In addition, the application I am developing includes a Motif interface
to the above number crunching app. These are separate load modules. The
interface is compiled with cc (Microsoft compiler) since I can't get the
Microway compiler to work with the Motif development system. As you might
have guessed, I am using SCO Opendesktop which provides the Microsoft
compiler as the default UNIX compiler. I would like to be able to use
the same compiler for all the load modules involved in this large
application. Are there any compilers supporting the Weitek and Motif ??

--
Dr. Victor L. Rice
Litwin Process Automation

pb@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Peter Brouwer) (07/16/90)

 In article <455@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>In article <29@dvpdev.UUCP> ken@dvpdev.UUCP (Ken Greenebaum) writes:
>>We are interested in the 386 PC-Unix, or MSDOS platforms, and are evaluating
>>these products:
>>    Metaware Hi-C 386 C compiler
>
>Generates nice fast code, but don't ever consider using it for
>floating point math.  The floating point code it generates is
>inaccurate and has no provisions for error detection.

I have not seen inaccurate results but have experienced that it only works
correct in combination with a coprocessor or 3.0 floating point emulation
library. It will give not correct results with a 3.2 floating point emulation
library.
I have had contact with metaware about this. They state that both the microsoft
and AT&T 3.2 version are not correct.

--
Peter Brouwer,                # Philips Information Systems,
NET  : pb@idca.tds.philips.nl # Department SSP-P9000 Building V2,