[comp.realtime] "real-time" over a lan: token ring vs ethernet vs ?

chris@yarra.oz.au (Chris Jankowski) (07/31/90)

In article <19300@well.sf.ca.us> berger@well.sf.ca.us (Robert J. Berger) writes:

> We are looking to make a special purpose dedicated lan for controlling
> up to 128 devices. These devices will run a real time os such as PSOS or
> VxWorks. There will be up to 16 master devices made up of unix workstations
> running Unix System V.4. The workstations will be initiating most traffic.
	  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The main time critical response we need is to have a guaranteed worst case of
> the workstation sending a message to one or several of the slaves, where the
> message must get to the slave within 5 milliseconds.  Most other traffic needs
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am just wondering about the following:
1. You say you will be using UNIX System V release 4 on your workstations.
		and
2. You require *guaranteed* delivery time of a packet send by those
workstations within 5 miliseconds, thus the workstation has to issue
those packets with time resolution not worse then 5 miliseconds I presume.

Now consider the following:
There is an interrupt for your real-time application on the workstation
but the workstation just happens to be prosessing some stuff in a critical
section of the kernel, which cannot be interrupted.
So the kernel continues on its merry business and time flies.
I remeber reading an HP paper a few years ago saying that it can take
up to a second before the standard UNIX kernel switches the interrupts on.
Or you need the so called preemptive kernel.
I know very little about SVR4 but I think that it is not preemptive.
I believe it was to be and I vaguely remember 10ms mentioned sometime
in 1988 but I think that it was quietly dropped in 1989.

My conclusion is that it looks as your 5ms may be insignificant
compared to variability of the time on workstations.

Am I right or wrong or maybe I do not know something important?
Anybody cares to comment?

      -m-------   Chris Jankowski - Senior Systems Engineer chris@yarra.oz{.au}
    ---mmm-----   Pyramid Technology Corporation Pty. Ltd.  fax  +61 3 820 0536
  -----mmmmm---   11th Floor, 14 Queens Road                tel. +61 3 820 0711
-------mmmmmmm-   Melbourne, Victoria, 3004       AUSTRALIA       (03) 820 0711

micron n. - a unit of length of one milionth of a meter,
            worth $2,000,000,000 since the fault in the Hubble space telescope
            has been identified.