[comp.realtime] Survey of Commercial Real-Time Operating Systems II

walden@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Eugene Marvin Walden) (08/10/90)

   Well, folks, this is part II of my summary of commercial real-time operating
systems. I was able to find most of the addresses, but, as you can see, six are
still missing. Anyway, if anybody has corrections or further additions, please
E-mail me.
   I have tried to provide a rough classification of the RTOSs that I have
seen. The classifications may be inaccurate, or just plain wrong, but I tried.
After I receive literature from these companies, maybe I'll post a summary of
each OS. Have fun!

1. Regulus

   Alcyon Corp.
   6888 Nancy Ridge Dr.
   San Diego, CA. 92121
   (619) 587-1155

   - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

2. REAL/IX

   Modcomp
   John Worden
   1650 W. McNab Rd.
   Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33340-6099
   (305)  977-1083

   - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

3. CX/RT

   Harris Computer Systems Division
   2101 W. Cypress Creek Rd.
   Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
   (305) 974-1700

   - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions
   - Scheduler is a combination of a deadline-driven scheduler and a multi-
     level round-robin scheduler

4. Chimera II

   Carnegie-Mellon University

   - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

5. LynxOS

   Lynx Real-Time Systems, Inc.
   550 Division St.
   Campbell, CA. 95008
   (408) 370-2233

   - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

6. FlexOS

   Digital Research, Inc.
   Integrated Systems Business Unit
   70 Garden Court, B206
   Monterey, CA 93940
   (408)  982-0700

   - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

7. RTE

   Hewlett-Packard

8. pSOS

   Software Components Group
   1731 Technology Dr.
   San Jose, CA 95110
   (408) 437-0700

   - UNIX-compatible kernel, < 12K

9. MTOS              (Industrial Programming, Inc.)
10. PDOS             (Eyering Research)

11. C Executive

    JMI Software Consultants
    904 Sheble Ln. P.O. Box 481
    Spring House, PA 19477
    (215) 628-0846

12. RTUX

    Emerge Systems
    Frank Aaron
    114 6th Ave., P.O. Box 3175
    Indialantic, FL 32903
    (407) 723-0444

   - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

13. CSX              (Cytek)

14. AMX              (Kadak)

    Kadak Products, Ltd.
    206-1847 West Broadway
    Vancouver, BC Canada V6J 1Y5
    (604) 734-2796

15. UniFlex

    UniFLEX Computing, Ltd.
    111 Providence Rd.
    Chapel Hill, NC 27514
    (919) 493-1451
    Sales: (800) 486-1000

16. IDRIS            (Whitesmiths)

   - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

17. RTXC

    A. T. Barrett & Assoc.
    Ron Hodge
    11501 Chimney Rock, Suite R
    Houston, TX 77035

18. USX

    US Software
    John Bayer
    14215 NW Science Park Dr.
    Portland, OR 97229
    (503) 641-8446

19. UMAX V OS

    Encore Computer Corp.
    6901 W. Sunrise Blvd.
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33313
    (305) 587-2900

   - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

20. VRTX

    Ready Systems
    470 Potrero Ave.
    P.O. Box 60217
    Sunnyvale, CA 94088-0217
    (800) 228-1249

   - small, ROMable kernel
   - priority-based round-robin scheduler
   - message passing, interrupt handling, semaphores

21. VxWorks

    Wind River Systems
    1351 Ocean Ave.
    Emeryville, CA 94608
    (415) 428-2623

   - small, ROMable kernel
   - priority-based round-robin scheduler
   - message passing, interrupt handling, semaphores

22. iRMX and Distributed iRMX

    Intel Corp.
    5200 N.E. Elam Young Pkwy.
    M.S. HF3-58
    Hillsboro, OR 97124
    (503) 681-8080

   - small, ROMable kernel
   - priority-based round-robin scheduler
   - message passing, interrupt handling, semaphores

23. QNX

    Quantum Software Systems, Ltd.
    175 Terrence Matthews Crescent
    Kanata, Ontario Canada K2M 1W8
    (613) 591-0931

    - like UNIX, but different enough to annoy the hell out of you
    - priority-based round-robin scheduler
    - message passing, interrupt handling, semaphore locking

24. Alpha

    Concurrent Computer Corp.
    One Technology Way
    Westford, MA 01886
    (508) 692-6200

    - two-dimensional priority specification
    - real-time transactions
    - object-oriented structure
    -
25. OS9, OS9000

    Microware
    1900 N.W. 114th St.
    Des Moines, Iowa 50322
    (515) 224-1929

26. RTU

    Concurrent Computer Corp.
    One Technology Way
    Westford, MA 01886
    (508) 692-6200

27. RT-11

    Digital Equipment Corp.

Class 1:

   The oldest "real-time" operating systems are systems that were used back in
the Dark Ages such as Hewlett-Packerd's RTE and DEC's RT-11. Keep in mind that
I never had to use the dreaded punch cards, so Dark Ages to me means early
eighties :-).

Class 2:

   The second generation of "real-time" operating systems were the real-time
executives that were used for embedded data acquisition & control. These exec-
utives typically handle message-passing primitives, simple task scheduling
according to priority, semaphores and queues. They are usually fairly small,
the main purpose being to provide an interface to a single-board computer. Ex-
amples of such real-time operating systems are:

   - VRTX
   - iRMX
   - VxWorks
   - AMX
   - C-Executive

Class 3:

   With the rebirth of UNIX in the eighties, there also came an entourage of
companies trying to retro-fit UNIX for real-time applications. Usually, the
modifications include:

   - Fully preemptive, priority-based schedulers
   - Ability to lock tasks in memory (i.e. no page-faults for critical tasks)
   - Faster context switches
   - Lower interrupt latency
   - Higher granularity

Examples include:

   - Regulus
   - REAL/IX
   - LynxOS
   - FlexOS
   - pSOS
   - RTUX
   - QNX
   - Idris

Class 4:

   This class is closely related to Class 3 above. More companies are introduc-
ing multiprocessor machines, and with these machines come new operating sys-
tems. All such systems I have seen are some form of UNIX, but extended to
handle multiprocessing and real-time. Examples include:

   - CX/RT
   - UMAX V OS
   - RTU

Class 5:

   I am biased towards the RTOSs with the academically interesting schedulers,
but currently, there are not many. Some of the UNIX-like RTOSs are working on
schedulers other than priority-based schedulers.

   1. Alpha has a modular scheduler. Policy modules can be inserted into the
      scheduling scheme, so Alpha itself does not dictate the scheduling pol-
      icy. I believe that the available scheduling policies are simple priority
      based schedulers, deadline-driven schedulers, and possibly the Best
      Effort Scheduler.
   2. LynxOS is developing a deadline-driven scheduler for the NASA Space
      Station.
   3. CX/RT uses some combination of a deadline-driven scheduler and a multi-
      level round robin scheduler.
   4. Chimera-II uses a least-laxity scheduler

   There you have it. If anybody wants to send me info, my mailing address is:

   Eugene Walden
   University of Michigan
   Space Physics Research Lab
   2455 Hayward St.
   Ann Arbor, MI. 48109

   (313) 764-0137

   walden@dip.eecs.umich.edu

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (08/12/90)

in article <3036@zipeecs.umich.edu>, walden@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Eugene Marvin Walden) says:
] REAL/IX
]
]    Modcomp
]    John Worden
]    1650 W. McNab Rd.
]    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33340-6099
]    (305)  977-1083
]
]    - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

Actually "UNIX-like" is incorrect.  REAL/IX is *real* AT&T UNIX, with real-time
extensions.  It has not been re-written from scratch as some places claim you
have to do to get real-time.  Being real AT&T is also one of the things (besides
it's real-time features) that makes REAL/IX attractive to companies that
license it.

Thanks for the mention in your list!

Steve

jlaurent@encore.com (Jim Laurent) (08/13/90)

> 19. UMAX V OS
>
>     Encore Computer Corp.
>     6901 W. Sunrise Blvd.
>     Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33313
>     (305) 587-2900
>
>    - UNIX-like operating system with real-time extensions

I'd like to make a correction.  UMAX V is Encore's port of ATT
System V OS not with real time extensions but with extensions to
host a co-resident RT OS called Micro-MPX.  Micro-MPX is a true
real time kernal with very fast response times due to its
implementation of light-weight threads of execution.  Micro-MPX is
a redesign of MPX-32, Encore's proprietary real-time OS for its
CONCEPT-32 computer systems.  Micro-MPX support MPX-32
compatibility along with a POSIX 1003.4 interface.

Co-resident operating systems allow the creation of multiple virtual
machines or domains within a multiprocessor.  Both UMAX and
Micro-MPX are fully multithreaded in support of the 90 family's
symmetrical multiprocessor design.

Micro-MPX will be available on Encore's recently announced 91 Series
of 88k base computers.

Jim Laurent				UUCP:     uunet!gould!jlaurent
Greenbelt, MD Office			INTERNET: jlaurent@encore.com
Encore Computer Corporation

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (08/13/90)

>8. pSOS
>
>   Software Components Group
>   1731 Technology Dr.
>   San Jose, CA 95110
>   (408) 437-0700
>
>   - UNIX-compatible kernel, < 12K
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No it isn't.  Not even remotely.  It's small, fast, but crippled.  We've
spent more time trying to *make* it Unix compatible than I care to think
about.  We're moving to VxWorks, with luck.

No SCG rebuttal mail, thank you.
-Roger
--
UUCP:   ..!uunet!unhd!rg      | USPS: Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
BITNET: r_gonzalez at unhh    |       University of New Hampshire

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (08/13/90)

In article <3036@zipeecs.umich.edu=> walden@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Eugene Marvin Walden) writes:
=>
=>   Well, folks, this is part II of my summary of commercial real-time operating
=>systems...
=>
=>25. OS-9, OS-9000
=>
=>    Microware
=>    1900 N.W. 114th St.
=>    Des Moines, Iowa 50322
=>    (515) 224-1929
=>
   - small, ROMable kernel
   - pre-emptive, priority-based round-robin scheduler
   - signals, events (semaphores), pipes/named pipes, data modules
   - full resident or cross development

=>...
=>   The second generation of "real-time" operating systems were the real-time
=>executives that were used for embedded data acquisition & control. These exec-
=>utives typically handle message-passing primitives, simple task scheduling
=>according to priority, semaphores and queues. They are usually fairly small,
=>the main purpose being to provide an interface to a single-board computer. Ex-
=>amples of such real-time operating systems are:
=>...

OS-9 is one of the earliest RT OS's (at least for microprocessor-based
systems) having been first released in 1979 for the 6809.  Because of
its original design as a full-blown operating system rather than a
stripped-down kernal, however, it tends to be quite similar to UNIX,
allowing full resident development in a very UNIX-like environment
rather than requiring cross-development.  Its modular design does allow
for ROM-based systems in the same size and offering similar performance
to the RT kernels.

=>...
=> Eugene Walden
=> walden@dip.eecs.umich.edu

#  Bill Sheppard -- bill@mwca.microware.com -- {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

rjn@snowbird.LABS.TEK.COM (Jim Nusbaum) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug13.123602.509@uunet!unhd> rg@unhd.UUCP (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:

>>8. pSOS
>>
>>   - UNIX-compatible kernel, < 12K
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>No it isn't.  Not even remotely.  It's small, fast, but crippled.  We've
>spent more time trying to *make* it Unix compatible than I care to think
>about.  We're moving to VxWorks, with luck.
>
>No SCG rebuttal mail, thank you.
>-Roger

Well I don't work for Software Components Group so I feel I can rebut.
pSOS is not intended to be Unix compatible and if Roger wasted time
trying to make it so then he is the one who made the mistake.  pSOS
absolutely is not 'crippled' and is an excellent real time kernel
(from experience) and I have seen at least one independent, indepth
review of real time kernels that ranked it as the best.

--
Jim Nusbaum, Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.
[ucbvax,decvax,allegra,uw-beaver,hplabs]!tektronix!tekchips!rjn

abg@stc06.ornl.gov (BANGS A L) (08/17/90)

In article <6651@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> rjn@snowbird.LABS.TEK.COM (Jim Nusbaum) writes:
>In article <1990Aug13.123602.509@uunet!unhd> rg@unhd.UUCP (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:
>>
>>>8. pSOS
>>>
>>>   - UNIX-compatible kernel, < 12K
>>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>No it isn't.  Not even remotely.  It's small, fast, but crippled.  We've
>>spent more time trying to *make* it Unix compatible than I care to think
>>about.  We're moving to VxWorks, with luck.

Ok, time for my two-bits.  I have been looking very closely at VMEexec,
which gives you the power of the pSOS+ kernel with some nice stuff
added by Motorola, including SVIDlib, a Unix library, and communications
to make ethernet and backplace communications transparent.

It seems that SVIDlib would make pSOS a tolerable product for those of
us who are looking to do Unix development but want to run the final
product in real-time.

Alex
Alex L. Bangs ---> bangsal@ornl.gov         Of course, my opinions are
Oak Ridge National Laboratory/CESAR            my own darned business...

ghfeil@white.toronto.edu (Georg Feil) (08/21/90)

In article <6651@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> rjn@snowbird.LABS.TEK.COM (Jim Nusbaum) writes:
>In article <1990Aug13.123602.509@uunet!unhd> rg@unhd.UUCP (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:
>>>8. pSOS
>>No it isn't.  Not even remotely.  It's small, fast, but crippled.  We've
>
>pSOS absolutely is not 'crippled' and is an excellent real time kernel
>(from experience) and I have seen at least one independent, indepth
>review of real time kernels that ranked it as the best.

You're both right. The issue here, I think, is the difference between a
kernel and its development environment, which may include run-time libraries
which are Unix-compatible.

Georg.
--
Georg Feil                                 Internet: ghfeil@white.toronto.edu
                                             -or-  : georg@sgl.ists.ca

rjsnyder@cbnewsk.att.com (robert.snyder) (08/22/90)

In article <6651@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM>, rjn@snowbird.LABS.TEK.COM (Jim Nusbaum) writes:
> In article <1990Aug13.123602.509@uunet!unhd> rg@unhd.UUCP (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:
> >
> >>8. pSOS

[...lines deleted...]
> ...and I have seen at least one independent, indepth
> review of real time kernels that ranked it as the best.

Where and when was the review?

					R.J. Snyder

rjn@snowbird.LABS.TEK.COM (Jim Nusbaum) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug21.175052.18395@cbnewsk.att.com> rjsnyder@cbnewsk.att.com (robert.snyder) writes:
>In article <6651@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM>, rjn@snowbird.LABS.TEK.COM (Jim Nusbaum) writes:
>> ...and I have seen at least one independent, indepth
>> review of real time kernels that ranked it as the best.
>
>Where and when was the review?
>
>					R.J. Snyder

Since I have had a couple of requests for this: the review was an
internal document done by the control systems group at Fermi National
Accelerator Lab in Batavia, IL.  I believe it was done about three
years ago now (that was when I was there and I think it was new when I
saw it) and compared pSOS, VRTX, OS9 and others (I think).  By now it
is probably outdated.  I do not have a copy and can not give any more
detailed pointers on how to get a copy.