[comp.realtime] In search of Real-Time OS for 386 box

hyeom@cs.tamu.edu (Heon Y Yeom) (08/23/90)

Hi !  Netlanders !
I am trying to develop a software using a 386 machine where I need to
schedule a small task every 1/10000 - 1/30000 Second.
My current approach to do this is using the timer interrupt to interrupt
the CPU 10,000 times per second which doesn't work too good.
Is there a Real-time OS which could provide a scheduler to do the same
thing?
Any helpful hints will be greately appreciated.
Thanks

Heon Yeom
hyeom@photon.tamu.edu
hyy5325@tamvenus

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) (08/27/90)

In article <7629@helios.TAMU.EDU> hyeom@cs.tamu.edu (Heon Y Yeom) writes:
>My current approach to do this is using the timer interrupt to interrupt
>the CPU 10,000 times per second which doesn't work too good.
>Heon Yeom
>hyeom@photon.tamu.edu
>hyy5325@tamvenus

I would think that to get 10k/sec task scheduling you'd have to
use an interrupt for it.. that's only 100 usec between them and
from a lot of the descrptions of the OS's posted it doesn't seem
like their anywhere near that fast. (Mind you, I haven't used any
real-time OS's since RT11, i can get away with simply disabling all
the 'normal' spuriosu OS interrupts inmy stuff)
But, by using interrupts you shoudn't have any problem acheiving that
speed on a 386. I've gotten a 5k/sec task to run on a original 8Mhz
IBM brand AT. (admittedly it was a __very__ short task).
of course, it will mess up timekeeping unless you keep track of the time
you had spent with your timer task in place of the system timer task
and then fix the system's clock to the correct time..

--
Mike Schechter, Computer Engineer,Institute Sensory Research, Syracuse Univ.
InterNet: Mike_Schechter@isr.syr.edu isr@rodan.syr.edu Bitnet: SENSORY@SUNRISE