[comp.realtime] C basher!

rfink@eng.umd.edu (Russell A. Fink) (09/14/90)

>C, for most tasks, is either worse than - or
>break-even - compared to Fortran.  For the very few things that C does
>better than Fortran, Modula 2 or Pascal are _much_ better than C.

You want to write a recursive descent parser, nay, an image decompression,
wait, an operating system utility, hold on, an X windows application in
Pascal? And have it execute by the time your pizza arrives? From
Domino's in SIBERIA?

C was designed to be simple. Although I am somewhat new to it, I find that
like WordPerfect 5.0 versus Easy (for those of you familiar with WP's),
the less, the better, meaning that C is as much to you as you need it to
be. If the lack of strings and other inherent data types is bothering you,
I'd suggest referencing some available modules (#include's) to satisfy
your need.

With the proper includes, C can be MADE to look like any other functional
language (the depth of this statement is limited only to the imagination of
the programmer). When I first began with C, I was confused and angry with
whoever came up with such a technique of torture. But as I was forced to
learn it for a grade, a few quiet evenings of K&R chapter 1 made me
realize that the basics were all there: I/O (getchar, putchar), math ops,
functions/procedures, file access, logical operations, and structure. As
I mastered these primary concepts, I moved on to less inherent operations
such as printf, scanf. The point is, C is less frightening to a new user
that is willing to spend some time with it than to a new user who is looking
for a *familiar* language.

As I grew with C, someone dropped the books of X on me (spent near well
the next month in intensive care), and I began to realize how true the
words 'simple is better' were. In X, all the wonderful things you need
to create windows with are hidden in #includes, such that the programmer
needs only the abstract definitions to get use out of X. As my knowledge
of X increased, so did my knowledge of C. But there is a Zeno's paradox
of sorts with learning C: no matter how good you get, there is always
something more to learn. Same with X. Same with life. Anyhow, I was
relieved that my learning X was not limited to my learning C; the setup
is such that when you need something to work in X, you only need to learn
the use of that function -- there are no COMMON statements to worry about,
no memory segmentation bullspit to mess with -- in general, nothing new
to learn about C. THat is only one example in which 'simple is better'.

Take heart if you're troubles with C caused you to bash it. I've been
there, but I assure you, with less formalism,

C KICKS BUTT!!!!!

(just to stir up the oatmeal, no personal offense intended)

Maryversity of Uniland? Cute, real cute.
Russ Fink	rfink@eng.umd.edu
Dep't of Civil Engineering

rlk@telesoft.com (Bob Kitzberger @sation) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep13.235216.16296@eng.umd.edu>, Russell A. Fink writes:

> With the proper includes, C can be MADE to look like any other functional
> language
>
> As I grew with C, someone dropped the books of X on me (spent near well
> the next month in intensive care), and I began to realize how true the
> words 'simple is better' were.
> [and other hymns of praise for C]

Please -- I just ate lunch.

Followups to a more appropriate newsgroup.

	.Bob.
--
Bob Kitzberger               Internet : rlk@telesoft.com
TeleSoft                     uucp     : ...!ucsd.ucsd.edu!telesoft!rlk

merriman@ccavax.camb.com (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep13.235216.16296@eng.umd.edu>, rfink@eng.umd.edu (Russell A. Fink) writes:
>>C, for most tasks, is either worse than - or
>>break-even - compared to Fortran.  For the very few things that C does
>>better than Fortran, Modula 2 or Pascal are _much_ better than C.
>
> You want to write a recursive descent parser, nay, an image decompression,
> wait, an operating system utility, hold on, an X windows application in
> Pascal? And have it execute by the time your pizza arrives? From
> Domino's in SIBERIA?

[much drivel deleted]

> C KICKS BUTT!!!!!

I can assure you, from experience based on actual measurement, that this does
not hold in all environments or with all language implementations.