[comp.realtime] OS-9 multiprocessing

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct26.162403.6586@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu.UUCP (Caglan Aras) writes:
>We are using OS/9 on a Matrix MD-320 CPU system...
>Is there anyone out there who is using OS/9 with multiple CPUs?...

You may get a wider range of responses by asking this question in comp.os.os9,
but the way that many of our customers implement multiprocessing is by running
Microware's Network File Manager (NFM, or OS-9/Net) using the backplane as
a network medium. The file manager and driver are very small (<20K), and this
gives an easy facility for opening named pipes between processors, upon which
daemons to fork tasks, send signals, etc. can easily be implemented. A separate
copy of OS-9 would run on each processor, and all processors would have access
to all peripherals of any other processor. Remote login facilities are also
provided.

>Also, for those folks using OS/9, is there a way to speed up the
>compiler? Now it takes a horribly long amount of time (Compared to an
>equivalent compiler on the PC or Mac) even forthe smallest programs.

Standard practices apply - use of ramdisks or faster hard disks will make
a substantial difference. Wise use of compile options (library inclusion,
location of temporary files, etc.). A faster CPU. Using the -ix to use the
math and CIO libraries will speed up linking fairly substantially. Also, our
new 2.4 release includes disk caching, which will speed up compiles.

Or, if your target system simply isn't especially fast, use PC-Bridge
on an MS-DOS system to cross-compile, or Unibridge on a Unix
workstation.

>Caglan M. Aras    aras@eceris.ncsu.edu

#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######