[comp.realtime] Realtime Parallel Systems

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (12/28/90)

Has anyone out there done any research regarding massively parallel systems
for realtime control applications?  The restrictions placed by realtime
operation require extensive interrupt handling, and I am not sure how this
could be handled easily, because more than just the processor handling I/O
will need to be interrupted.  Since deterministic timing is a crucial thing,
would it even be a good idea to avoid message passing systems altogether?

If anyone can give me pointers to any research at all being done in this
area, I'd greatly appreciate it!
--
Scott Dorsey/ Kaptain Kludge
NASA Langley Research Center, Aircraft Guidance and Control Branch

Disclaimer: Neither NASA nor Lockheed really know anything about what

aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) (12/29/90)

In article <12413@hubcap.clemson.edu> kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
>Has anyone out there done any research regarding massively parallel systems
>for realtime control applications?  The restrictions placed by realtime
>operation require extensive interrupt handling, and I am not sure how this
>could be handled easily, because more than just the processor handling I/O
>will need to be interrupted.  Since deterministic timing is a crucial thing,
>would it even be a good idea to avoid message passing systems altogether?

I would suggest looking at the Real-Time Systems Symposium as a start,
they usually have a few papers on architectures. Some robotics or
avionics conferences also have articles on such systems.

Caglan M. Aras    aras@eceris.ncsu.edu| Experts know more and
N. C State Univ.                      | more about less and
ECE Dept. Robotics Lab                | less till they know
Raleigh, NC 27695                     | everything about nothing!