[comp.realtime] rhealstones benchmark

warner@arrayb.uucp (Dave Warner) (02/05/91)

In <45540@mips.mips.COM> rnovak@mips.COM (Robert E. Novak) writes:

>1) Whenever possible, SPEC tries to use real applications, not
>synthetically created benchmarks.
>2) To date, SPEC has not yet awarded contracts to write benchmarks on
>'spec'.
>3) If you have live applications, then please, please, please submit your
>code to SPEC!  If you can't locate anyplace else, please send it to me and
>I will forward it to the right folks.

In my experience (IMHE?) benchmarking for embedded real time is quite a bit
different than for workstations or other "general purpose" applications.
To run a "real" embedded application benchmark I have to totally develop
the hardware platform and then run the real code - that defeats the
purpose.  Note that the performance of the hardware platform is sensitive
to much more that just the processing engine.

What I want to do (and am currently involved in) is use something to
assist is selecting a processor for an embedded application.  My approach
is to use simulators/emulators and, hopefully, evaluation boards provided
by the various vendors as platforms and run "meaningful code fragments",
"standard" benchmarks (of which rhealstones would be only one), somewhat
pathological cache thrashers and TLB flushers for worst cases, etc...
In addition, I am using DineroIII and Tycho for cache simulation, as well
as application specific analytic and simulation models.

My point is that ALL of these are of necessity "synthetic" in the sense
that they are only analogs of my as yet undeveloped real application. If
anyone has a better or more comprehensive way to do this please, please
let me know.

Dave

PS to the net:  I've also heard that a SPEC subcommittee is developing
an I/O benchmark - I'd like to find out more about this. Any pointers?
 | Dave Warner             | e-mail address: warner@intellistor.com  |
 | Intellistor, Inc.       | USmail address: 2402 Clover Basin Dr.   |
 | (303)682-6555           |                 Longmont, CO 80503      |