[comp.realtime] Real Time OS Kernels

sat@cbnews.cb.att.com (Steven A. Tarr) (02/20/91)

From: sat@cbnews.cb.att.com (Steven A. Tarr)
Newsgroups: comp.realtime
Subject: Real Time OS

I am interested in the cuurent state of commercialy available
OS kernels for real time applications. I want my cake ( small,
preemptive, fast with multiple scheduling options ) and eat it too
(source and easy portability to a wide range of processors)!
Please provide kernel name, company, contact for purchase,
and general experience. You can email your response and I will
post a summary or post away. Your gracious efforts will be
most appreciated.

			Cheers,
Steve Tarr				AT&T Bell LAbs
sat@cbdkc1.cb.att.com			  Columbus, OH
614-860-3126

samackay@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Stephen MacKay) (02/26/91)

(I tried to mail this response to Steve Tarr 3 times via 3 different
paths, but cb.att.com refused the message each time.)

 | I am interested in the cuurent state of commercialy available
 | OS kernels for real time applications.
 |
 | Steve Tarr                              AT&T Bell LAbs
 | sat@cbdkc1.cb.att.com                     Columbus, OH

Precise/MPX sounds appropriate for your needs. Precise/MPX is a
commercial product based on the Harmony realtime, multitasking,
multiprocessing operating system, an ongoing (8 years) research
project at the National Research Council of Canada. Precise/MPX
has been ported to a wide range of Multibus, VME, Nubus and other
targets, using chips in the Intel 80x86 and Motorola 680x0 and
88K microprocessor families. The host development tools are
available on the PC AT, Sun 3, Data General Aviion, Apple
Macintosh and others. Source code is available.

I can supply technical details about Harmony, via email or
regular mail (we have a Harmony bibliography, technical
description and short manual set available for free). For
questions of availability for particular host/target
configurations, pricing and licensing contact Jeremy James,
President of Precise Software at:

		Precise Software Technologies Inc
		Suite 308, The Mallorn Centre
		301 Moodie Dr.